Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Games

Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski has left the company.

In a surprise development, Cliff Bleszinski, who has been with Epic Games since the days of Jazz Jackrabbit and is best known for his work on the Gears of War franchise, today announced his departure from the company. "I've been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I'm grown up, it's time for a much needed break," the man known as CliffyB wrote in a farewell message to colleagues.

"I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people. Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago," he continued. "I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR - it's been one big, rewarding learning experience. I'm confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike."

"In 20 wonderful years with Epic, Cliff Bleszinski has grown into a true design luminary, and his contributions to the Unreal and Gears series have helped shape the game industry into what it is today," Epic co-founder Tim Sweeney said. "Cliff leaves Epic with our gratitude for his many contributions, and our wishes for continued success in the next chapter of his life!"

Bleszinski hasn't commented on his departure or his plans for the future, but a "so long and thanks for everything" thread is underway now [http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/928608-Cliff-Bleszinski-Departs-Epic] at the Epic Games forums.

Source: Epic Games [http://epicgames.com/community/2012/10/cliff-bleszinski-departs-epic/]

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, good luck to him. I grew up playing Jazz Jackrabbit, and played a lot of Unreal games. All the best to him.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fair enough.

What I really want to know is not why (had enough I assume) or who replaces him, but does he get to keep that life size Lancer?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Awww...it's actually really sad to see him go. He was a huge personality for the gaming business and it'll be a while before we have someone around like him again I feel. =/

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
I owe a lot of my earliest gaming experiences to Cliff. I can only wish him well.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'm actually sad to see him go. He's one of the few game developers to leave the business in the last few years that actually understood what gamers wanted.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Good luck whenever you go Cliffy B. I know you screwed me over many times in GoW multiplayer (I KNOW YOU CONTROL THE RANDOMNESS OF SHOTGUNS!!) but I enjoyed myself all the same. One of the most recognizable faces and names in the gaming industry and that's something. Best of wishes in whatever the future holds

WorriedSandwich

Nov 23, 2011
From the NeoGAF thread:

Wasn't too much of a fan of the GoW series, but I kind of grew up with Jazz Jackrabbit 2. I wish him the best of luck!

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
WorriedSandwich said:
Wasn't too much of a fan of the GoW series, but I kind of grew up with Jazz Jackrabbit 2. I wish him the best of luck!
I kind of did too, and I liked that game.

Best of luck to cliffy, and may you have a great life ahead of ya.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"so long and thanks for everything"
I really, really wanted that to say "so long and thanks for all the fish".

Maybe if i just...twist that...swap the cables...
yup, here we go:
Andy Chalk said:
"so long and thanks for all the fish"

Anyways, it's sad to see him go. I was never a big fan of his, but it's just one of those things were he's always been there, and it'll be weird without him. Best of luck to him on what he does next.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fieldy409 said:
To me, Cliff was pretty much the face of Epic. It's so weird to see him leave them.
I feel the same way. That company's just lost a whole lot of personality in the public eye.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, it was definitely time for him to move on. Regardless of my opinions about all the truly stupid things he has said/done for the last few years, I definitely want him to find happiness and success in all his endeavors.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
It's certainly a little sad to see Cliffy B. go, but I have the best wishes for him and hope he does well in all his life's pursuits.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
All the best to you, you lancer wielding maniac you!

In all seriousness, thanks for the awesome games and also, thanks for the tech that has allowed others to make awesome games.