Roll Out and The Escapist Expo

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Roll Out and The Escapist Expo

This week, Gavin discusses how wonderful it was to meet fellow Escapists at the Escapist Expo and his love for the Transformers.

Read Full Article

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, thanks, Gav, you managed to make me even more miserable for not being able to attend the Expo, possibly ever, even after it ended.
You really got the power to do that.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Thanks for sharing this tiny bit of background. Your music speaks volumes (no pun intended), but it's always nice to learn something more about person behind it.
Also lol @ Bannered Mare. Took me a minute to realize where I know the name from.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Roll Out is definitely one of my favourite songs! It's just so catchy that I've been singing it to myself while I'm at work.

T-shirts and posters would be awesome! Maybe signed posters? I'd put it up next to my signed ZP poster ;)

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I never got into the Transformers, but I did really enjoy "Roll Out", because it did perfectly capture the feel of cartoon theme songs.

The Escapist Expo show was great! I have a confession to make though: I fear spoilers, so I haven't listened to or watched any of Gav's songs for a single-player game I plan on playing. So that means no Mass Effect, no Fallout, and no Deus Ex. I know I'm missing out on some absolute gems though. I just finished Bioshock last month, so I was finally able to watch "Little Sister", and now for the past month I've had either that or "Calamity" in my head.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
UNHchabo said:
I never got into the Transformers, but I did really enjoy "Roll Out", because it did perfectly capture the feel of cartoon theme songs.

The Escapist Expo show was great! I have a confession to make though: I fear spoilers, so I haven't listened to or watched any of Gav's songs for a single-player game I plan on playing. So that means no Mass Effect, no Fallout, and no Deus Ex. I know I'm missing out on some absolute gems though. I just finished Bioshock last month, so I was finally able to watch "Little Sister", and now for the past month I've had either that or "Calamity" in my head.
Play all of the games quickly so you can enjoy some of Gav's best (in my opinion) songs

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
The Transformers song is one of my favorites, up there with Kalros( \m/, ,\m/ ) and Commander Shepard. Synth-pop, aw-yea.

Love the live videos from the expo; wish I could have gone. Oh well, there is always next year.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Annette left Nightwish? Well, damn. I feel like their latest album they figured out how to actually write music for a woman that wasn't stuck doing just operatic styles. I mean, I like Dark Passion Play well enough, but Imaginaerum was a pretty solid album (though for me, it started to lose steam after Arabesque).

Ah well. It'll be interesting to see where she goes next.

Also: I still have yet to see the sequels to the Bay Transformers movie. I know it's a bit ridiculous to hold the old show to such a standard, but even watching the 80's movie with all of the cheesy Autobot scenes and dialogue, man, they just did stuff better then. The fight between Optimus and Megatron, and one of my favorite scenes, when Megatron and Unicron meet. It's like the difference between a conceited villain (Megatron) versus a confident villain (Unicron), and it is written so friggin' well for what is essentially a commercial for Hasbro's all new toy line-up.

Ever count how many major characters they kill, though? I did one time in College. I started to rewatch Gen 1 for the first time in years, then watched the movie. I think it was like two dozen major characters from the series were killed off, some of them brutally.

I mean, Ironhide.

Ironhide, man.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I have to give mad props to Justin for the video. It fits the song perfectly and the splicing of footage from the cartoon was a smart move.

It was definitely one of the best videos yet, up there with "The New Black Gold" in my opinion.
A potentially amusing aside, I got really sick after expo, which is normally a rarity for me. I was pretty feverish while making final edits on the video, so I'm quite happy it turned out well.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Wait. What? What? Anette left Nightwish? What?

Dammit, she just *got* there >< They already switched vocal styles once...

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I always like the people who write the comments "You're soundwave voice sucks."
It's almost like they say them just to get into encore... Hmm...

Hey Gav I luv ur use of ottotune! If only u wher more creativ nd didnt rep off teh games. U cud be as god as Beiber! (did I do the youtube commenter thing right?)

Seriously though, now I'm interested in seeing some of your dad's work, plus looking forward to the next song.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Ok, probably a bit of a personal question, but here it goes:

In one of the recorded panels from E2 (either your songwriting one or one of the Q&A ones), you said that you weren't Catholic/Christian (can't remember which). Is this due to your mother's sexual orientation (which both religions seem to frown upon), or something else?

Sorry, just wondering since I figured that you'd be Roman Catholic since I thought that most Irish are. (I know, shouldn't go by stereotypes)

Back to the music, when are you going to put Roll Out up on your YouTube channel? I want to send it to my older brother, who is a Transformers nut. The reason I ask about the YouTube upload is because you include links to buy the song (my brother is a bit of a dope, so if he does like the song, I'd like to make it a bit easier for him to get it), and also it kicks a bit more money your way.

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
I didn't comment this on the original, but I actually got chills during the chorus for "Roll Out" because of the overwhelming nostalgia of every kids' cartoon intro theme flashing before my eyes (or "ears" I guess).

VoodooPuppeteer

May 28, 2011
I like this song - I wasn't sure when it started, but the lyrics are fun and it has a catchy chorus; go Gav!! Video's not bad either - vaguely tempted to try the game now

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
soren7550 said:

In one of the recorded panels from E2 (either your songwriting one or one of the Q&A ones), you said that you weren't Catholic/Christian (can't remember which). Is this due to your mother's sexual orientation (which both religions seem to frown upon), or something else?

Sorry, just wondering since I figured that you'd be Roman Catholic since I thought that most Irish are. (I know, shouldn't go by stereotypes)

Baptised Catholic, yes. Am an agnostic.

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
In closing, let's just have a little honest moment here. Yeah, the first movie wasn't too bad. It has some fun moments, cool action and it was great seeing Optimus in live action for the first time. Sam wasn't as excruciating in it as he was when he whinged and whined his way through Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon. Next time though, I wish they would give subject matter like this to people like Neill Blomkamp or Joss Whedon.
With you, Gavin. The first movie is the only one I own, and I hope Michael Bay sits down with it before working on #4.

Neill Blomkamp? Hm. I dunno. Okay, don't get me wrong. District 9 is probably one of the best pieces of sci-fi ever. Still - and maybe I'm pigeonholing the guy here based on one film and a couple of shorts - I don't think that kind of "docudrama" style suits Transformers.

Unless we had breakout interviews with the Autobots as well. That could work. "Look, I acknowledge that that order seemed rushed at best, even suicidal. But when you have over three hundred thousand years of combat experience, you tend to know what works on the battlefield."

Joss Whedon? Okay, Gav, NOW you're just being plain cruel...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors! Both the opening and closing themes of that show were awesome! If a full-length version was ever released I would buy the hell out of it.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
soren7550 said:

Baptised Catholic, yes. Am an agnostic.
That's good to know, now I'm one step closer to being able to impersonate you and take over your life
creating a clone loyal to me to seamlessly replace you
watching the world burn

hooray diversity! :D

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Wow, props to your mother to be that brave! My Irish grandmother almost disowned my sister once because she was dating a Hispanic boy. Instead she saved that little piece of manipulation for when same sister got pregnant a few years later out of wedlock (different bloke). My Swedish grandmother, btw? ECSTATIC.

I have no idea what she would have done if one of us had turned out gay. Or with the fact that my brother is engaged to and living with a Pakistani Muslim. ZE HORREUR!

So yeah, you must have a strong and brave Mammy! And I so want to hear some of your father's poetry now =D

[HEADING=2]ROLL OUT![/HEADING]

[sub][sup]PS. I wish I could go to the next Expo and hear you live![/sup][/sub]