Old Dog

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm not even sure what a Tim Burton come back would like like anymore. For me at least, my problem is something only works as weird and interesting as Edward if you don't see it all the time. I'm blown out on swirls and garish colours. You can't keep surprising by showing hte same pale face with crazy hair again and again. I'm sure film critics can tell the swirls apart and see what Tim's doing different to this time, but from my perspective it's like that kid who tells a joke that everyone laughs at and he likes it so much he keeps on telling the joke. It's clever if you do it once and then do something different, not this

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
I don't think Burton's recent films have been all that bad, but for the most part you do get more style than substance. The problem lies in the fact that Burton's style is getting stale on account of him utilizing the same visual aesthetic for whatever he directs. To me, there is never any progression of his style, which is his problem as he relies so heavily on it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I would be genuinely curious to see what Burton could come up with if nearly every movie he makes didn't have a third act that amounted to "big fight, and afterwards, everything is okay." The only films he's directed I can think of that didn't end that way were either not his material (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeny Todd) and Big Fish. Ed Wood merely replaced it with "and then the big premiere vindicates him", an event which kind of deviated from whatever shreds of reality the film was holding to (albeit something the ending titles kind of admitted.)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I think we just saw what a proper Tim Burton comeback would look like, in Paranorman.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Bah! Tim Burton was never all that impressive. He's, as Bob says, an interesting stylist with a good visual aesthetic, but as a director/writer/storyteller, he's pretty shit. His films are dark and moody but never, as far as I've seen, to any great effect or depth. He is the perfect representation of the Goth movement; all style, no substance, giving the appearance of dark and brooding for no good reason and without actually being dark and brooding.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
2 reviews in one week. my question is why wasn't this the video, and Taken 2 "the takening again" the text. I mean you could probably use some of the same image splices. though you probably did Taken 2 video for that "phone" intro.

I like Burton's work, and it is usually fun, but in a morbid way, and usually falls just short of pandering (though some are just that). This felt slightly pandering to the Frankenstein's Monster fan crowd with the tagline "but it's a kid." though this does make it feel like it tries to be that, but then ends up being "Godzilla fights them all, but with a kid"

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I've never really thought Burton to be all that special to begin with. The first Batman-movie is arguably the best, but as soon as Burton got more free hands to do what he wanted it became the so-gothic-it's-not-even-funny mess of Batman 2. Scissor hands is a good movie, but even a blind hen can find a corn. After that he has basically redid the same 1-2 movies over again, either a quirky animated child-movie or a quirky child-movie containing Depp, his wife and with a score written by Danny Elfman. But then again I am surely not the intended audience.

Captcha: slippery slope - me or burton?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I'm not even sure what a Tim Burton come back would like like anymore.
Watch his last one, Coraline. You can't have a "come-back" when your most recent film is at the peak of your output, which that film certainly is.

Oh that's not a Tim Burton film? I could have sworn it was.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Blood Brain Barrier said:
BrotherRool said:
Watch his last one, Coraline. You can't have a "come-back" when your most recent film is at the peak of your output, which that film certainly is.

There was a small scandal about that because people think the same about A Nightmare Before Chrismas and a the first trailers said 'from the director of A Nightmare Before Christmas'. Lots of people thought they were deliberately trying to make people think that Burton wrote Coraline, which was unfair on poor Selick being forgotten twice. The people in charge said it was rubbish though, and there were lots of trailers with Selick's name on them, so perhaps it was

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
BrotherRool said:
BrotherRool said:

There was a small scandal about that because people think the same about A Nightmare Before Chrismas and a the first trailers said 'from the director of A Nightmare Before Christmas'. Lots of people thought they were deliberately trying to make people think that Burton wrote Coraline, which was unfair on poor Selick being forgotten twice. The people in charge said it was rubbish though, and there were lots of trailers with Selick's name on them, so perhaps it was
I wouldn't have been disappointed going into it thinking it was a Tim Burton film. In fact I probably would have been very pleased considering Burton hasn't put out anything nearly as good in the last decade or so.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I wouldn't have been disappointed going into it thinking it was a Tim Burton film. In fact I probably would have been very pleased considering Burton hasn't put out anything nearly as good in the last decade or so.
There weren't many people oddly enough who complained about it not being Burton, most of the fuss was over the actual director being slated.

As I've said, I definitely wouldn't have been persuaded by Tim's name, in all honesty he could produce another Ed Wood and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it now. I've seen Ed Wood, the film exists and I don't know what pumping out films with the same quirky style again and again achieves, we've still got the originals to look at

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Hmm. This may or may not be relevant, but a recent anime series (based on an existing manga) called Sankarea started out with the main character (a creepy high school boy zombie-obsessed almost to the point of necrophilia) trying to revive his beloved dead cat with a potion that can raise the dead, before the plot segues into his beautiful but depressed classmate trying the potion herself then getting killed and rising as his zombie girlfriend. Now that you've mentioned Frankenweenie I can't help but wonder if it might have influenced the manga.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
The movie was good. There was nothing bad with it at all, although I feel that it could have been a bit better. Maybe making the movie a bit longer to provide more time to flesh out the side characters and/or the relationship between Victor and Sparky? I don't know.

And I can kinda agree on the whole pro-science approach the movie was going with the town being skeptical about the science teacher and what he's teaching. But they didn't really do too much with it.

It kinda bugs me a bit. This movie was good, but at the same time, there could have been more to it. All in all though, it's still worth seeing. At least in my opinion.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I'm glad it was done in stop-motion & not CG.

I loved Alice because I love Alice stuff & I almost got my wish for Burton to do a movie of American McGee's Alice, but I want my old macabre Burton, pre-found-footage Romero, & stoner comedy Kevin Smith back.

I really hope Burton goes back to his roots for the Addams Family movie he's working on, rather than pulling the same shit he did with Dark Shadows.