Teenager Kills Mother Over Halo 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Teenager Kills Mother Over Halo 3

An Ohio teenager is accused of killing his mother and grievously wounding his father because they refused to let him play Halo 3 [http://www.halo3.com].

Daniel Petric was 16 at the time of the murder, which took place after his parents told him he wasn't allowed to play Halo 3. The teenager sneaked out of the house and bought the game anyway, but was caught by his parents as he came back in with the game. They took it away from him and put it into a "lockbox" in their closet, where they also kept a 9 mm handgun.

Prosecutors allege Petric took the game and the gun out of the box; concealing the weapon, he approached his parents and said, "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

Petric's father, Mark Petric, testified that he expected a "pleasant surprise," but instead, his head suddenly went numb. The next thing he remembered, he said, was Daniel shoving the gun into his hand saying, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it." Mark Petric survived thanks to the intervention of his daughter and her husband, who had come to the house to watch a baseball game, but his wife, Susan Petric, died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The elder Petric, a minister at the New Life Assembly of God [http://www.nlag.in/home.htm], said his son has apologized for killing his mother, saying, "I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family. I'm so glad you are alive," and that he could hardly live with the guilt over what he did.

In their opening statement, Daniel Petric's lawyers said the boy had been under a great deal of stress because of a severe staph infection caused by a bad snowboarding accident. As a result, he had been stuck at home for the past year with nothing to do but watch television and play games. Videogames haven't been directly blamed for the shooting at this point in the proceedings, appearing to be just a catalyst for the whole awful affair, but if no other evidence about a troubled home life is forthcoming you can bet that an attempt to establish a more direct connection will be made.

Monitoring your children's videogaming habits is commendable, but the disconnect between taking a violent videogame away from their son and then putting that game into the same box in which they kept their gun - and then not even having the sense to keep it locked - is truly mind-boggling. It's impossible to tell at this early stage, but there's almost certainly more to this story than just a kid who got pissed off over Halo 3. As for the shooter himself, I sincerely hope he receives a punishment commensurate with the enormity of his crime; youthful indiscretion is one thing, but making a conscious decision to execute your parents is something else entirely.

Source: Kotaku [http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/boy_killed_mom_and_shot_dad_ov.html]

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Sorry news fellas, the community beat you to it again. Contributors - 1000 : Community - 2.

However, some people REALLY need to get out more.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
This is just insane. The cold-blooded manner in which the kid acted.

Video games are completely out of the question here. You don't store a gun someplace unlocked and there's definitely more to it than simply an enraged person with no games.

Society just like to choose someone to take the fall.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Sirisaxman said:
What a STUPID twat. Halo 3's not even that great of a game. Give 'em the chair, the chair!
Because, of course, it'd have been okay if this had been over his copy of The Orange Box. *eyeroll*

I'm going to reserve my judgement on the whole thing, because what we do know doesn't add up; there has to be something else to this, because otherwise this kid is a well-concealed psycho and those aren't nearly as common as CSI or Criminal Mind would make it seem.

-- Steve

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
sirdanrhodes said:
Sorry news fellas, the community beat you to it again. Contributors - 1000 : Community - 2.

However, some people REALLY need to get out more.
It's mentioned that he couldn't get out due to a severe staph infection which was caused by a snowboarding accident. Thus, he was getting out before he got injured, then his parents rubbed salt in the wounds by saying he couldn't spend his inside time by playing video games...Not that I'm defending him.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
Let this be a lesson:

1) Store the game in the jewelry box or the securities safe instead.
2) Don't assume your child is incapable of anything.

If I had hated my wife...
...I would have shot the child, wiped the gun, put it back in my son's dead hand, and moved to Mexico with the other two witnesses.

If I loved my wife...
...that son would not be able to reproduce again- though it would have made prison life much easier.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Sirisaxman said:
What a STUPID twat. Halo 3's not even that great of a game.
Your opinion, don't treat it like fact.

Theres obviously something more to this story, although I will say this; if the kid is able to sneak out and buy Halo 3, his snowbaording accident is not an excuse.

There is no excuse for killing another human being, particularly your mother.

niblik

Jun 13, 2008
There is something seriously wrong with any person who would kill due to the frustration of being denied a game.

I feel terrible for the family. I can't imagine what they are feeling right now...

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
No one kills their parents over one incident. You don't 'go' crazy, you already 'are' crazy. Halo 3 may have been a catalyst, but the real issue here is that teens with disorders aren't receiving psychological care. Maybe it's the parents don't have the tools to judge signs of aggression, or simply that they're too preoccupied with work to take notice of their children's problems.

Again, gaming is a 'whipping boy' for psychotic behavior.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I'm gonna chime in with the 'this can't be everything' line. I'm guessing that, like that unfortunate case about the boy who ran away over Call of Duty 4, this kid developed a somewhat-obsessive like to video games, and, like many other junkie who's drug has been taken away, he did something extreme in order to take it back.

At least, that's my take on it.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
wilsonscrazybed said:
No one kills their parents over one incident. You don't 'go' crazy, you already 'are' crazy. Halo 3 may have been a catalyst, but the real issue here is that teens with disorders aren't receiving psychological care. Maybe it's the parents don't have the tools to judge signs of aggression, or simply that they're too preoccupied with work to take notice of their children's problems.

They did say it was only a catalyst, not the direct cause.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Oh look another psychotic murder that's blamed on video games because people are quick to judge.

If he had done it out of some sort of impulsive motivation without thinking then he wouldn't have said "hey guys close your eyes"

No, he knew exactly what he was doing. Fucking psycho.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
wilsonscrazybed said:

seconded like a b*tch. I can't believe they could put the headline like that, as if the boy was an upstanding christian missionary, until they said 'no halo' and he gunned them down at the drop of a hat. It is almost as bad as the 'boy runs away from home because parents took away CoD 4, ends up in ditch' story. In that one they said he started skipping school and stealing, as if you would need to steal if CoD 4 was the centre piece of your life.

This crap needs to stop, I say we go V for vendetta stylee on websites like this!

What was the name of those guys who vowed to take down scientology btw?

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
This boy is the new standard for hardcore gamers. But seriously; killing over an overrated console fps? What a weird kid.

Spooky_101

Dec 13, 2008
I don't know
I could see the kid snapping over too much trauma
I mean he probably loved the sport or something
and with the staph infection he was probably unhappy being stuck in the house
and when his folks didn't let him have what he wanted he went bonkers

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
*sigh* This is just sad. Just because someone is crazy and they kill someone, and a video game happens to be in the same room with them doesn't mean they've been "tainted by the ultraviolent filth that is modern media". Someday the press needs to remember that there are psychos out there, always have been, and that video games are little more than another thing to snap over. If it wasn't Halo 3, I bet it would've been his snowboard or something like that. But I ramble. Suffice to say that when ninety-five journalists die in part of a serial killing, they can finally correctly blame video games. Just not for the reasons they want to.