Heading Into States

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Heading Into States

The good and the bad of taking Tokens to North Carolina States 2012.

Read Full Article

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I built something like this. It's a white green deck that brings out lots of white tokens while pumping out 1 drop green elves. Main white spells are Odric master Tactician, captain of the watch and Crusader of odric which is a pretty consistent draw that is almost always a 7/7 by turn four when I'm able to attack with it. The big green guy is a mention from one of these articles; Craterhoof Behemoth as well as Soul of the harvest and of course, Elvish arch-druid's to pump up my elves and give me mana. Also running Collective blessing which gives creatures a significant boost and can be played pretty early with a few early arbor druids or arch druids.

Sep 13, 2009
I've been trying to work out a Golgari graveyard deck with cards like [mtg_card=Splinterfright] and [mtg_card=Grisly Salvage] filling the graveyard with as many creatures and scavenge cards as possible. Unfortunately the scavenge mechanic is just far too slow for what this deck is trying to be, and I usually can't pay the cost for any of them until at least turn 5. At which point there'd be a lot more I'd want for five mana than 3 +1/+1 counters. Not to mention that the deck is very vulnerable to removal. Since then I've been kind of trying to turn the deck into a bit more of a control deck, using creatures like [mtg_card=Ulvenwald Tracker], combined with deathtouch and other shenanigans. Although my hopes are slightly diminished and I might move on to a different deck.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
There's one severely underrated card you currently have little defense against early-on, [mtg_card=Electrickery]. Don't underestimate the "Bonfire for one". ...nor it's speedy Creature cousin, [mtg_card=Izzet Staticaster]. They've already won games for me in Limited against Selsnya/Tokens decks.

Naturally there are a number of cards across Selesnya you can take advantage of (such as [mtg_card=Armada Wurm] and [mtg_card=Selesnya Charm]), but one I'm surprised to see not included is [mtg_card=Champion of Lambholt]. It works beautifully with a tokens strategy, making herself huge and your weenies unblockable (better than Odric does, imho), as well as painting herself a bigger target for removal than your army of tokens, adding a little extra layer of protection and forcing your opponent to make some decisions with [mtg_card=Oblivion Ring]s and [mtg_card=Detention Sphere]s. Also note that a number of your creatures and tokens are Soldiers, making [mtg_card=Captain of the Watch] that much more valuable (especially combined with Lambholt), as a later-game bomb. Might I also suggest, for your consideration, pumping your tokens further with [mtg_card=Phantom General]... basically another [mtg_card=Intangible Virtue] with a body. Another card which I think you could consider for a sideboard is [mtg_card=Gutter Grime], it's expensive, but basically gives you back all of your non-tokens when they die, as bigger tokens that you can Populate or pump. (Obligatory mention of my new favorite and completely underrated card: [mtg_card=Pack Rat]. Gotta love a better, cheaper [mtg_card=Plague Rats] that makes more Plague Rats...)

In fact, if you feel like splashing toward Bant (WUG is Bant, right? I don't remember... whatever) instead of BWG, you could make decent use of [mtg_card=Drogskol Captain] to protect your little fliers (and the General, if you should decide to use him), and/or the ever-popular (and ridiculously efficient) [mtg_card=Geist of Saint Traft]... (who works magnificently with the Populate mechanic, should you change your mind on that). This would also give you access to [mtg_card=Mizzium Skin] for your sideboard, to block spot removal and [mtg_card=Detention Sphere], as well as effectively neutralize the threats from the "trickety", Staticaster, and low-mana [mtg_card=Bonfire of the Damned] with a quick defense boost. These might fit a Spirits theme deck quite well, come to think of it...

...actually, don't do that. I'm doing that. heh.

The Almighty Aardvark said:
I've been trying to work out a Golgari graveyard deck with cards like [mtg_card=Splinterfright] and [mtg_card=Grisly Salvage] filling the graveyard with as many creatures and scavenge cards as possible. Unfortunately the scavenge mechanic is just far too slow for what this deck is trying to be, and I usually can't pay the cost for any of them until at least turn 5. At which point there'd be a lot more I'd want for five mana than 3 +1/+1 counters. Not to mention that the deck is very vulnerable to removal. Since then I've been kind of trying to turn the deck into a bit more of a control deck, using creatures like [mtg_card=Ulvenwald Tracker], combined with deathtouch and other shenanigans. Although my hopes are slightly diminished and I might move on to a different deck.
Funny you should mention that. I'm working on a deck right now that combines Ulvenwald Tracker with the lovely [mtg_card=Predator Ooze]/[mtg_card=Nightshade Peddler] combo. It works quite well as a little counter engine for the Oozes and [mtg_card=Lumberknot], especially if you can Miracle a [mtg_card=Revenge of the Hunted] on it for even more Deathtouch shenannigans. If you splash Red, it also gives you some quick attackers in [mtg_card=Flinthoof Boar]. Throw in the absolutely wonderful [mtg_card=Corpsejack Menace], [mtg_card=Lotleth Troll] (THE ace card for any Golgari deck), and [mtg_card=Rancor] alongside [mtg_card=Ring of Xathrid], and [mtg_card=Ring of Kalonia], and you've got quite a solid counter-producing deck on offense and defense. After that, any Scavenge cards, maybe [mtg_card=Mikaeus, the Unhallowed], a green Miracle or two (especially [mtg_card=Blessings of Nature]), and/or [mtg_card=Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord], for some icing on the cake. Naturally, you'll want a healthy dose of [mtg_card=Golgari Charm]s to shut down weenie/token decks, and block mass removals, and probably some Zombie tricks with [mtg_card=Geralf's Messenger]s and [mtg_card=Gravecrawler]s.

Against aggro decks, you could use cards like [mtg_card=Desecration Demon] to slow them down (and bring low-creature decks to a standstill), and against ramp or elves, (if you can survive long enough or pop Liliana's ulti) [mtg_card=Necropolis Regent] or [mtg_card=Craterhoof Behemoth] can end games. Maybe, just maybe, a Golgari deck is the home for [mtg_card=Shimian Specter] I've been looking for...

If you're looking to take more advantage of Scavenge, might I suggest the fairly efficient [mtg_card=Sluiceway Scorpion]s and [mtg_card=Slitherhead]s to discard with the "lol Troll", combine with Corpsejack, and/or just get a body in the way... (in which case, I'd also suggest [mtg_card=Yeva, Nature's Herald] for the lols... and more Deathtouch shenannigans)

Sep 13, 2009
2xDouble said:
I was rather lucky in my prerelease packs and managed to pull a foil [mtg_card=Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord] as well as a [mtg_card=Lotleth Troll] (a card that I will likely not be more than a two of in my deck due to my budget). One card I REALLY want to mess around with using deathtouch (via [mtg_card=Deadly Allure]) is Golgari decoy. If you manage to keep him for a turn you get to take a number of your opponent's creatures equal to his power when he attacks. I considered going more of a counter approach and abusing [mtg_card=Corpsejack Menace] alongside [mtg_card=Desecration Demon] (and flinging him with jarad when he gets big enough), but I'm kind of set on trying to get some use out of [mtg_card=Splinterfright].

[mtg_card=Predator Ooze] I considered but my deck is on enough of a budget that I'm not sure I'd be able to play him reliably early on with the minimal dual land I'll be going for. If I was being less frugal on the deck I'd definitely throw in Gravecrawlers, although being $10 each right now that's a bit above what I want to spend.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm not going to states, but I am working on a Bant populate deck, because [mtg_card=Cackling Counterpart] is obscene. I counterpart my Thragtusk, then populate the Thragtusk token. If I don't get enough the double blue, I can just use [mtg_card=Faerie Impostor] to suck Thragtusk back to my hand(or a Restoration Angel, or a Snapcaster Mage).

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
The Almighty Aardvark said:
2xDouble said:
I was rather lucky in my prerelease packs and managed to pull a foil [mtg_card=Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord] as well as a [mtg_card=Lotleth Troll] (a card that I will likely not be more than a two of in my deck due to my budget). One card I REALLY want to mess around with using deathtouch (via [mtg_card=Deadly Allure]) is Golgari decoy. If you manage to keep him for a turn you get to take a number of your opponent's creatures equal to his power when he attacks. I considered going more of a counter approach and abusing [mtg_card=Corpsejack Menace] alongside [mtg_card=Desecration Demon] (and flinging him with jarad when he gets big enough), but I'm kind of set on trying to get some use out of [mtg_card=Splinterfright].

[mtg_card=Predator Ooze] I considered but my deck is on enough of a budget that I'm not sure I'd be able to play him reliably early on with the minimal dual land I'll be going for. If I was being less frugal on the deck I'd definitely throw in Gravecrawlers, although being $10 each right now that's a bit above what I want to spend.
I can sort of see where you might hit a bit of a problem... Splinterfright can help a Scavenge deck, but his scaling ability and Scavenge work directly against each other. And, unless you Scavenge something on to it or boost it with Kalonia, pretty much ANY graveyard hate makes Splinter a ghost (or worse, it can force you to self-mill into oblivion). Personally, I'd use him to support Jarad's abilities, rather than as a bomb on its own (metaphorically... he's still decent fodder for Jarad's fling ability), and use [mtg_card=Wreath of Geists] on a big trampler to replicate its other ability (or double Splinter's power for a massive fling). Personally, I like more precise cards, like [mtg_card=Jarad's Orders], or any "draw a card, discard a card" effect, letting you put specific cards into your graveyard... in fact, splashing Jund gives access to lots of Red draw/discard spells and abilities (and might finally get some use out of [mtg_card=Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded]), which support Scavenge beautifully. None of those cards should be very expensive, being mostly uncommons, and everybody hates Tibalt for some reason, so he's really cheap right now. OR, you can splash Blue and try to make [mtg_card=Nephalia Drownyard] or other mill cards work for you.

A word of warning though... you really, REALLY need to get rid of [mtg_card=Tormod's Crypt] and [mtg_card=Rest in Peace] if they show up. Golgari Charm helps with RIP, and [mtg_card=Pithing Needle] can block the Crypt, or something nastier, depending on your needs.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
After listening to Brad Nelson for a bit, I can safely say that Vraska is a bad idea.
I'm not so sure. 5 mana to destroy a target permanent isn't always a bad deal, and it draws a lot of hate that could be directed at something you actually put into your deck as a win condition, not as a target that looks like a win condition.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
After listening to Brad Nelson for a bit, I can safely say that Vraska is a bad idea.
I'm not so sure. 5 mana to destroy a target permanent isn't always a bad deal, and it draws a lot of hate that could be directed at something you actually put into your deck as a win condition, not as a target that looks like a win condition.
Here's the section where Brad and Evan talk about Vraska:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1FRJtW2HRas#t=2169s

Basically, the problem is that its +1 does literally nothing at all and it's Ult is pretty much useless. I'm not sure if the destruction ability makes up for it.

Martry

Nov 20, 2009
I'm excited to try my Izzet Delver with a splash of green. While I do run BW tokens at my local game store I expect the meta at provincials to be over-prepared for it, so I'm trying something more unexpected.

Between Delver, Quirion Dryad and Thragtusk (as well as Thundermaw Hellkite in the sideboard) I hope to have the biggest threats on the field, combined with rancors and dynacharge to swing for lethal out of nowhere, I think it will do well.

What I'm most afraid of is the Azorius/Human aggro deck that I've seen around a bit, I'm worried they'll be too aggressive for Mizzium Mortars and too airborne for Magmaquake. Does anyone know a good sideboard plan for this match-up?

As for Vraska, if you're already running parallel lives and intangible virtue you can actually keep her covered long enough to get massive amounts of tokens. Combine with blood artist or falkenrath noble to make sure every token guarantees 1-2 damage each regardless of how they block, and not even a miracle Bonfire can save them.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Yea, I've been fine-tuning my Bant-midrange deck for a bit on Cockatrice now, and while when it wins, it wins HARD, it just seems.....inconsistent, I guess? Here's the list (sans the sideboard) for anyone who's curious. Detention sphere is the one thing I'd reeeaaaaally like in there mainboard, and before anyone starts launghing, Rootborn Defenses has proven surprisingly good, not to mention anything that gives middle fingers to Supreme Verdict and Bonfire of the Douchebag is good enough for my mainboard.

3 Forest
1 Gavony Township
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Hinterland Harbor
1 Island
1 Moorland Haunt
2 Plains
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
4 Arbor Elf
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Restoration Angel
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Thragtusk
4 Call of the Conclave
4 Selesnya Charm
2 Rootborn Defenses
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Grey_Focks said:
Yea, I've been fine-tuning my Bant-midrange deck for a bit on Cockatrice now, and while when it wins, it wins HARD, it just seems.....inconsistent, I guess? Here's the list (sans the sideboard) for anyone who's curious. Detention sphere is the one thing I'd reeeaaaaally like in there mainboard, and before anyone starts launghing, Rootborn Defenses has proven surprisingly good, not to mention anything that gives middle fingers to Supreme Verdict and Bonfire of the Douchebag is good enough for my mainboard.

3 Forest
1 Gavony Township
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Hinterland Harbor
1 Island
1 Moorland Haunt
2 Plains
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
4 Arbor Elf
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Restoration Angel
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Thragtusk
4 Call of the Conclave
4 Selesnya Charm
2 Rootborn Defenses
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
While rootbound is pretty good against bonfire, it's no redirect. People get upset when you redirect their bonfire back on them. They also get upset when you redirect their abrupt decay or Dreadbore.