Wing Commander Creator Unveils Star Citizen

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wing Commander Creator Unveils Star Citizen

Chris Roberts has lifted the curtain on his ambitious new world.

Back in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119515-Wing-Commander-Creator-Returns], Wing Commander and Privateer Chris Roberts let it be known that he was up to something. Today, we found out what it is: Star Citizen, a sweeping sci-fi epic that bears more than a passing resemblance to its famed predecessors, yet promises to surpass them all in every possible way.

Star Citizen will take place in a massively-multiplayer galaxy embroiled in conflict. Players hungry for a Wing Commander-style experience can join the military and fight off Vanduul warbands, while those with a more entrepreneurial bent can take a Privateer approach as a smugger, pirate, merchant or bounty hunter in a fully dynamic, player-driven economy. No subscription is required; players will gain access to the full Star Citizen universe with a one-time purchase of the game, but virtual items will also be available for purchase with in-game credits. It will even support single-player action, allowing pilots to complete offline tours of duty which will be integrated into the online game upon completion.

"In recent years, game designers have stopped innovating and pushing the boundaries of what you can do in this genre. I plan on bringing that kind of development mentality back into PC gaming and space sims in particular," Roberts said. "There is a lot of noise out there regarding social and mobile games right now, and I think PC gamers are feeling a little left out of the mix. But the PC is still incredibly capable of presenting an experience that doesn't take a back seat to any other platform out there, including consoles. With my game, I want PC gamers to stand up, be counted and get excited again about all the great experiences their computer can deliver."

[gallery=926]

The game will support all the usual PC goodies, including multi-core processors, high-end GPUs, a wide range of peripherals including full HOTAS setups and even the Oculus Rift VR headset, and in case there's any doubt about Roberts' commitment to the platform, the Star Citizen announcement trailer effectively dismisses consoles, tablets and mobile gaming as "the future" of gaming and stakes its future on the capabilities of PCs. It's also gorgeous, if not exactly original, serving up what is unmistakably a modern-day rendition of a Kilrathi attack on the TCS Tiger's Claw.

Crowd-funding options were also opened to the public today, allowing fans to donate anywhere from $10 to $10,000 to support the development of the game. Star Citizen's total planned budget wasn't revealed but a minimum of $2 million is needed to bring outside investors on board to complete the funding. Roberts said it will probably be two years before the game is ready for release, but supporters will be given access to an alpha version of the game just one year from now.

It's a massively ambitious project, and it's unclear what will happen if the crowd-funding effort falls short. But even at this early stage of development, the level of detail and scale on display in the first batch of promotional videos is stunning and if the Roberts Space Industries team can pull it off, it could very well signal the rebirth of the space sim as a relevant genre. Check out the whole thing (if you can - the site is being hammered pretty hard) at robertsspaceindustries.com [http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/].

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
This looks like it has potential. I wish there was some way to know whether it was going to play in a first-person, twitch-combat mode (like the original WC's) or in a third-person / tactical mode (like Homeworld or Eve Online).

Personally, I don't much like flight sims, so my interest is really contingent on this.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Tapped out on my crowdfunding budget for this year already, but I wish this game well. I was a big fan of space sims back in the day, and wondered why they disappeared like they did. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

NvrPhazed

Dec 8, 2010
Holy Shit! Chris Roberts is back. I have played the first three WC with expansions and both Privateers. This is the stuff made of dreams as I haven't had a good first person space sim in a while.

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
mattaui said:
Tapped out on my crowdfunding budget for this year already, but I wish this game well. I was a big fan of space sims back in the day, and wondered why they disappeared like they did. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
I vaguely remember an article, I believe on this site, discussing why space sims died. Something to do with joysticks and I'm sure some other stuff. I'm pumped for this though, even more so since I have a surplus of money and can actually support a crowd-funded thing that I want to for once.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
First game I would admit to buying is Starlancer, which I bought 2nd hand in a video rental store with a £10 note I found in the gutter 5 minutes earlier.

I am *this* close to giving them some money. Someone convince me.

Im thinking Space: Above and Beyond.

EDIT: watching the video on the backup site. Im sold.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Justank said:
mattaui said:
I vaguely remember an article, I believe on this site, discussing why space sims died. Something to do with joysticks and I'm sure some other stuff. I'm pumped for this though, even more so since I have a surplus of money and can actually support a crowd-funded thing that I want to for once.
It's strange because a standard gamepad, while not exactly the same as a joystick in all ways, could still handle a space flight sim very well. I can understand the desire of companies to get away from having to support what they might see as an antiquated peripheral, but I'd think they'd just switch to using the gamepad.

Not that anyone seems to think there's much gamepad play on PCs. The Razer 'Onza' I bought didn't say anywhere on the box that it worked on a PC, and no one at several local shops I talked to had any idea about PC gamepad options. Very strange.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010

My face has been stuck like that for the last half an hour.
I gladly put down 30 bucks for that.

My first PC games where all Wing Commander and Xwing vs Tie Fighter.
Today is a good day.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
Been following this for almost a month now I think, and I must say, this is the most excited I've been for a game in quite some time. I'm a huge fan of this type of sci-fi thing.

I was too young to really get into Wing Commander (though I vaguely remember sitting on my dads lap and trying to play it), but I adored Freelancer when that came out.

This project definitely has my full support, and I reckon I'll be making a donation shortly. I only wish I was full of money, otherwise I'd be absolutely throwing money at them!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
This looks like it has potential. I wish there was some way to know whether it was going to play in a first-person, twitch-combat mode (like the original WC's) or in a third-person / tactical mode (like Homeworld or Eve Online).

Personally, I don't much like flight sims, so my interest is really contingent on this.
It's a space flight sim. I'm not sure how it could be much more clear. Why would you need HOTAS, flight chair and rudder support for a tactical game? Not to mention that the pitch is practically dripping with references to immersion, Wing Commander/Freelancer comparisons and visceral combat. It even explicitly says "Wing Commander style single player mode."

On the other hand, if cockpit action isn't your thing, there are also larger multiplayer ships that will let you man turrets or repair systems.

Andy Chalk said:
It's a massively ambitious project, and it's unclear what will happen if the crowd-funding effort falls short.
Just to clarify, it is unclear what will happen to the project if the crowd-funding falls short. The FAQ says that if they don't make the goal, you have the option of having your donation refunded less processing fees.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Akalabeth said:
I was interested until I got to the words "massively multiplayer".

Then I quit reading
Should have kept reading. "Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want. Playable offline or online, co-op with friends, you sign up for a tour of duty with the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands."

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I like the ship design. I like the prospect of playing a good space-sim again. I like that it has single-player campaigns. I like that the multiplayer component is not based on monthly fees.

This will be one of the few games I buy at full price, right on release. The space-sim genre needs me!

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
Ickabod said:
Isn't this just basically EVE?
Not really. Star Citizen is a massively-multiplayer modern version of Elite/Frontier/Privateer/Freelancer (space trading & piracy) combined with Starlancer/Wing Commander (dogfight simulator) using the latest consumer-grade graphics technology.

EVE Online is World of Warcraft in space. Space populated by thousands of Randian assholes.