Scientists Discover 140 Million Year Old Spiderweb

Feb 13, 2008
Scientists Discover 140 Million Year Old Spiderweb

Jurassic Park strikes again as an ancient spiderweb is found encased in amber.

Whilst we may have all seen the effects of drugs [http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm] on spiders, there has never been as much excitement as was in the Oxford University when researchers found the remains of a 140 million year old web, and they're still roughly the same shape.

Our old friend, the amber encasement, was able to seal the web away from the rigors of nature and the rough circular nature of the web is familiar to anyone with a loft.

The piece of amber came from an amateur fossil hunter beach-combing over two years ago. It's taken this long to actually find the threads, using a microscope.

The threads themselves have long fallen from their normal pattern, but it does prove that the webs you may have seen in your dungeon-bashing have their roots as far back as the Cretaceous period, 65-145 million years ago.

Source : USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2008-12-15-oldest-spider-web_N.htm?csp=34]
( Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybershotking/329184504/])

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Root you are just a cavalcade of interesting archeological trivia. One wouldn't expect to find this stuff on The Escapist... but the fact that it's here truly rocks the show.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
w00t, old things...altho a spider web is the last thing i would expect them to find...

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Root you are just a cavalcade of interesting archeological trivia. One wouldn't expect to find this stuff on The Escapist... but the fact that it's here truly rocks the show.
I agree, ever since Root joined the News team the news has taken a turn for the wacky. And everyone at the Escapist loves wacky!

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
That is very cool. Being able to learn about what happened so long ago is a fascinating concept.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
So Root, at this point you consider pretty much anything News, don't you?
What's wrong with that? I like the more off the wall topics. They spark my imagination more.

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
fluffylandmine said:
I am wondering: How is this productive for the scientific community?
After the LHC didn't blow up the planet or invent magic or anything, the scientific community is kinda winging it.
Well, to Indigo, nope, there's a lot of news around, but you don't want boring to death with every new screenshot that comes out, so we delve into other related areas if we see something interesting. I'd have thought that a prehistoric spider would be.

As for the productive part, it proves a number of things about evolution, spiders and material strengths. People didn't think much to Hero's little steam ball at first.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
This just in: Creationists claim this evidence was planted by God.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
SuperFriendBFG said:
This just in: Creationists claim this evidence was planted by God.
...or a spider...God's pet spider. That he made in Spore...
It was made by the Queen Spider. All hail the Queen Spider.

A cookie for anyone who knows where that is from, it isn't that hard.