Rumor: Next Skyrim DLC May Let You Mount a Dragon

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Rumor: Next Skyrim DLC May Let You Mount a Dragon

Some interesting clues to the future of Tamriel may have been hidden within the latest beta patch, including a new playable island.

An intrepid code junkie [http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417057-time-for-some-spoilers-form-the-latest-beta/]has mined the core of the latest Skyrim beta and found what appear to be clues to its next DLC expansion. This all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but the hints he claims to have discovered reveal not only the name of the DLC, Dragonborn, but also that it will take place on the island of Solstheim, and allow you to ride - wait for it - dragons.

Other tasty tidbits rumored to appear in the add-on include new armor types - Bonemold, Chitin, Nordic, and Stalhrim - and the ability to cast spells while mounted. New enemy types also appear in the updated code, though it's more difficult to get excited about those without actually seeing them in action.

Solstheim is a large island located just northeast of Skyrim, so it wouldn't be crazy to think that Bethesda would add it as a playable area, especially if new story content demanded it.

Of course, given the flimsy nature of the evidence at hand, we wouldn't go all-in on this particular rumor just yet. The lines of code that were allegedly found, while tantalizing, can be easily misinterpreted. Still, it's impossible to not raise an eyebrow at the prospect of flying our very own dragon around Tamriel, wreaking havoc at every turn.

Source: Bethesda Softworks Forums [http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417057-time-for-some-spoilers-form-the-latest-beta/]

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So... Dragonborne!
In all seriousness, I can't see the PS3 getting this one. The game already fails at walking/riding speeds; imagine how it will falter when crossing the game world at dragon speeds!

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
I swear Bethesda is just looking at popular mods and trying to make people pay for their version...
To be fair though, isn't riding a dragon what everyone has wanted to do since even before the game was released? I don't doubt that the company monitors what mods are popular, and perhaps even uses them as proof of concept for retail DLC, but the idea of flying on a dragon isn't exactly original all on its own.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Well, let's hope that there is a little more too it than dragon riding, but I'm still intrigued.

EDIT: After reading the Bethesda forums thread it seems there is a fair bit to this, and the dragon riding is actually the least confirmed bit.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I was actually hoping there'd be some dragon taming/riding from the very beginning.
I just prefer to make friends with the dragons rather than kill them.

Although if this is true, it's a little strange considering how much they insisted that the dragons were only interested in killing things and that Skyrim dragons weren't the type to get all buddy buddy with people.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MikeWehner said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I swear Bethesda is just looking at popular mods and trying to make people pay for their version...
To be fair though, isn't riding a dragon what everyone has wanted to do since even before the game was released? I don't doubt that the company monitors what mods are popular, and perhaps even uses them as proof of concept for retail DLC, but the idea of flying on a dragon isn't exactly original all on its own.
Not the point. The point is that Bethedsa should be looking at popular mods and thinking not to make DLC that players can access for free. What's the point of paying for Heartfire if:

a) I can just download a mod that does the same thing for the PC?
b) the PS3 version isn't even a sure bet to come out at all?
c) its not that great anyways?

The DLC really only benefits 360 owners at this point. Not saying that Bethesda needs completely fresh DLC, but the DLC we've seen for Skyrim isn't anything to get exited over.

And to be fair not that many people wanted to go all Drakengard with Skyrim. They wanted stronger Dragons.

Apr 5, 2008
You know, even if this is *not* what the next DLC will contain, it bloody well should be. Bethesda, stop whatever you're doing and make what the guy said up top. Please.

Oh and make Destruction magic not suck as well. Thanks!

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
A Smooth Criminal said:
Mounting dragons?

So it's going to be leading up to the birth of the next dragonborn?

EDIT: Okay but seriously, I thought Skyrim would be a game where dragons are fearsome. I mean it's bad enough seeing them more often than you see mudcrabs, but what makes it worse is that my horse managed to kill an elder dragon (i'm on highest difficulty) and now they let you turn a dragon into your *****?
Due to the mechanics of the game, it's easier for your horse to kill a dragon on the Hardest difficulty than the Easiest... or maybe just as easy.

On the topic of this DLC... sounding too much like a Morrowhiner's wet-dream than something Bethesda would actually create.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
The DLC really only benefits 360 owners at this point. Not saying that Bethesda needs completely fresh DLC, but the DLC we've seen for Skyrim isn't anything to get exited over.
That's a *lot* of 360 owners though. If I own the game on 360 (which I do), I'm glad this might be in the works. If I own it on PC (which I also do, for some reason...) then I'll play the free mods unless the official DLC offers something the free mods don't. You still have the freedom to not download the DLC on PC, and on top of that, there's already more options (via the modding community) available right now than the consoles will ever have. Win/win?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not betting on that. Todd Howard said repeatedly, no riding dragons, so I find it unlikely they'll change their tone.

Additionally, (as others have said) this sounds a bit too much like a Morrowind junkie's wet dream.

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

We've been to Solstiem before in the Bloodmoon expansion, which, you'll recall, was the expansion that added werewolves to Morrowind. Skyrim already has werewolves, so it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to go back.

Who knows, though. Maybe it's legit, but I don't think it is.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MikeWehner said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
That's a *lot* of 360 owners though. If I own the game on 360 (which I do), I'm glad this might be in the works. If I own it on PC (which I also do, for some reason...) then I'll play the free mods unless the official DLC offers something the free mods don't. You still have the freedom to not download the DLC on PC, and on top of that, there's already more options (via the modding community) available right now than the consoles will ever have. Win/win?
Just saying that Bethesda could do a better job with the DLC. You have to admit, Skyrim's DLC is pretty lackluster.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
AzrealMaximillion said:
the game jam thingy had riding dragons in it so not really just mods.

I want polearms tho

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Just saying that Bethesda could do a better job with the DLC. You have to admit, Skyrim's DLC is pretty lackluster.
Oh, definitely. But that's a whole other can of worms that would take us a month to dissect. :)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Solstheim... I smell Bloodmoon references. Color me intrigued.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Praying that this rumour is true. While Skyrim is mostly mediocre, I loved killing dragons and exploring stuff. A new zone and a different way to interact with the dragons is everything I need from a Skyrim DLC.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
No it won't because I can't get DLC or Skyrim from Steam (even after I bombarded both Bethesda and Valve about this issue- I sent 10 letter to each)
All they are saying that it isn't available for my region, well thanks for stating the obvious.
What I want to know is why is it and when this thing will be fixed, not the things I already know.
Found hard copy of TES5, but I still can't get a freaking DLC :(