Let's Remake Star Wars

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Let's Remake Star Wars

MovieBob offers up some reasons why a remake of the classic sci-fi/fantasy film series may be a good thing.

Read Full Article

jjofearth

Feb 3, 2009
It's simple - we kill Lucas, then progress can ensue.

In all seriousness, I've been thinking about what I'd change if i made a remake for ages, so it's nice to see that reflected in the work of someone i respect as much as MovieBob.

Necabo

Jul 11, 2011
shadowmagus said:
agree, but only do the obi-wan rematch fight. That was kinda stupid then and its even more stupid now, considering the epic fight they had several years earlier (or later as you will)

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
Blasphemy! I cannot see a good reason for this, other then to get George to leave them alone.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Four reasons stacked against five hundred is not good odds or a good justification for remaking Star Wars.

Besides, with GL stepping down to make his smaller films, leaving the company in the hands of others, we might see something else. Something NEW, rather than constant re releases. It doesn't have to be a sequel series, but perhaps something set in a different time period, or with a different set of characters.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Aren't the words "Starwars" and "Remake" considered unholy devil-speak when uttered next to each other according to most hardcore Starwars fans?

\

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Ok... Disagreements about Star Wars aside, can we all agree never to touch Lord of the Rings? Please?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Why dont we remake the Prequels? I mean, pretty much everyone agrees that they weren't very good. Maybe some other director (I'm thinking Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson) could do something great with them. I mean, i have great respect for Lucas but we all can agree that he's probably too old for this kind of thing.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. I've had to listen to the internet whine and ***** and piss and moan and complain for over a goddamn decade over this shit. A fucking decade. Half my life I've been listening to people ***** over star Wars. I'm not going to support a remake that going to lead to more bitching for the next decade or more over this shit. Star Wars fans are unpleaseable, unlikable. and frankly hateful when it comes to the idea of change or difference. Any remake, no matter how good or bad, is going to start the bitching machine. Hell, people are still complaining about Star Wars. How about instead we wait till all the hate has died before we consider a remake, i.e. we wait until all the Star Wars fans are dead and all that remains of their hate is the death threat to Lucas on their graves. Maybe in 40 or 50 years people will have evolved to not want to expend all their energy complaining about something stupid.

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
MovieBob said:
Let's Remake Star Wars
There's something I've been meaning to tell you about Star Wars since your video about the Phantom Menace re-release, and it's somewhat relevant to the choreography you brought up.

The Clone Wars IS better than Phantom Menace Bob
If for one reason

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqlyhwh8Ea1qc3188.gif
Yes!

That right there was one of the most epic moments in the history of Star Wars. Even considering the prequels to be crap, the singular times in which that guy grabs a lightsaber have always been astonishing.

Regarding a remake ... I would vote a yes on it, definitely. I am curious about how Star Wars would be if it were made with a deeper narrative than it had at the time.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Easy, STAR WARS NEEDS A DARTH LORD TRILOGY!

Follow the life of a Darth Lord from worker slave to enslaver and converter of Jedi scumb.

The Darth Bane Trilogy did an excellent job in book form and should be made into a movie.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
MovieBob said:
Let's Remake Star Wars
There's something I've been meaning to tell you about Star Wars since your video about the Phantom Menace re-release, and it's somewhat relevant to the choreography you brought up.

If for one reason

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqlyhwh8Ea1qc3188.gif
For me that almost destroyed the character. Yoda should have been all about the Force. he is strong in the Force and been around for 900 years studying it and finding out the things he could do with it that whole fight should have been about him doing crazy stuff with the Force. It's my biggest problem with the Prequels was that Lucas did nothing new with the Force, everyone just did stuff that we had already seen.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I suspect that by the time a Star Wars remake comes around, audiences will have lived through 4 or 5 decades of films heavily inspired by it, its storytelling tropes, and its film-making techniques, and the original will seem quaint at best and dull at worst. Look what happened to John Carter.

Necabo said:
agree, but only do the obi-wan rematch fight. That was kinda stupid then and its even more stupid now, considering the epic fight they had several years earlier (or later as you will)
That I can get behind. Despite the crapiness of the rest of the trilogy, the final duel was shaping up to be awesome. Epic John Williams score, lava plumes behind them like the fires of hell, Ewan McGregor acting the hell out of "You were the chosen one!" But Lucas couldn't leave well enough alone: halfway through the fight, he had to throw in those stupid bleeping droids to suck all the gravitas out of the scene.

DVS BSTrD said:
If for one reason
I beg to differ. That particular scene might be the worst in the whole prequel trilogy for me. Maybe second-worst, after the above.
We go from "wars not make one great" in Empire, to "Yoda's a badass" in Clones, completely undercutting the whole point. Then we follow it up with "around the prisoners, a perimeter create". As my friend (the biggest Yoda fan I knew) put it, Yoda's wisdom became stating the bloody obvious.
I tend to agree with Bob on this score: Phantom Menace is a bad movie, but it still works as a movie. The other two are just a sloppy mess.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The problem with remaking them is that they can't possibly live up to the bar that it established, even if that bar is held up so high in some ways by nostalgia.

Not to say that it couldn't be great, but it's a tall order. One that I don't think anyone is capable of, unless you had someone like Peter Jackson and his love of LOTR.

Still I'd go see it.

tohellwithyourcrap

Oct 5, 2012
Twilight_guy said:
No. I've had to listen to the internet whine and ***** and piss and moan and complain for over a goddamn decade over this shit. A fucking decade. Half my life I've been listening to people ***** over star Wars. I'm not going to support a remake that going to lead to more bitching for the next decade or more over this shit. Star Wars fans are unpleaseable, unlikable. and frankly hateful when it comes to the idea of change or difference. Any remake, no matter how good or bad, is going to start the bitching machine. Hell, people are still complaining about Star Wars. How about instead we wait till all the hate has died before we consider a remake, i.e. we wait until all the Star Wars fans are dead and all that remains of their hate is the death threat to Lucas on their graves. Maybe in 40 or 50 years people will have evolved to not want to expend all their energy complaining about something stupid.
I understand your view. Really I do. But I am a star wars fan and have been since I was four years old. Other than not particularly enjoying the new films I never really bitched or moaned about Lucas or Star Wars. I forgive whatever wrongs Lucas has done because Jedi Academy makes up for everything plus some. If Lucas Arts makes some bad movies or games or exploits the merchandise I really couldn?t give two shits because I focus on enjoying the good. I say yes to a remake and have done so for a long time. It could be fucking great. It could be epic. If we kept Hayden Christenson far away and got the right director it is almost impossible to not be epic. Seriously, STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE? BUT NEW!!! Remember the days when we didn?t see things through shit colored glasses? Those days were quite nice. If I happen to learn of this project being realized I?ll be hopeful. And if it isn?t good, well, too bad, I?m not going to slit my wrists, write bad poetry, spam Lucas Arts with death threats and hate mail, or any sort of nonsense. I love Star Wars, I would love a great remake, and Han shot first ************.