Star Citizen Warps Past Kickstarter Goal

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Star Citizen Warps Past Kickstarter Goal

Wing Commander creator's game has made its Kickstarter goal with weeks to spare.

Just a few days ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120221-Star-Citizen-Goes-to-Kickstarter] Cloud Imperium Games Corporation took its space sim Star Citizen to Kickstarter, after already raising a little more than $1 million. Earlier today Star Citizen made its Kickstarter goal of $500,000. Cloud Imperium Games' personal crowd funding system continues on, meanwhile, raising more than $1.3 million of their $2 million goal at press time. As the days count down to the finale of both efforts, it seems more and more likely that Chris Roberts' "AAA Space Sim" will see completion and publishing.

Billed as a spiritual successor to Roberts' previous games, such as Wing Commander, Star Citizen intends to be a fully realized galaxy in which players can wage war, trade, and explore. Additionally, Cloud Imperium Games intends to provide weekly or bi-weekly updates to the game. The continued development of the game will not be supported by a subscription, but instead by an in-game purchase model.

The Cloud Imperium Games Corporation internal fundraiser will wrap up November 9th, and the Kickstarter will close November 19th.

Source: Star Citizen Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen]

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
It's a shame this game isn't getting more press. At this rate we should hit the $2m mark soon. I've already made my contribution.

If CR can pull this off Star Citizen is going to be the best Space Combat Sim to date.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not familar with the previous works of the guy mentioned in the article but all I honestly needed to see was the phrase "AAA Space Sim" to get me excited.

I love my space sims (Sins of a Solar Empire, X3, and a Two year EVE Online Player) so naturally every new chance for a high quality game is a good thing, sadly I'm broke and unemployed at the moment so I can't really contribute at all.

Still I hope this goes well and that we don't end up with a Kickstarter bust or (God help us) another Sword of the Stars II.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Awesome. I can't wait for this game. I did a rather large contribution on the Cloud Imperium website, so I need this now! Haha, really though, I can't wait, it's gonna be good.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I doubt my comp right now will be able to handle this game.

But by 2014 I'll have plenty of money for a new comp. And I WILL get this game!! I WILL blow s*** up! AND MY SPACEBOOT WILL FLY UP SOMEBODY'S SPACEASS!!!

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Adding up the Kickstarter and RSI donations, that puts them currently at 1.993 million of their 2 million goal. Looks like it will be happening at least, although given the intended scope I hope they get a fair bit more than that to work with.