Dear Esther Artist Mulls "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Without Weapons"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dear Esther Artist Mulls "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Without Weapons"

Robert Briscoe of Dear Esther fame has a pretty cool idea for an open-world exploration game.

Mirror's Edge [http://dear-esther.com/]. He described the attraction of Dear Esther as "being able to strip away this other gameplay, this traditional gameplay, and just have environment exploration being the main gameplay mechanic," but even so, it was still a very linear experience, essentially a walk along a path. But the idea he's kicking around right now sounds a little broader in scope.

"I kind of quite fancied the idea of doing something on my own, something that's just completely of my own creation... I've always had this idea in my head, it's kind of like an open world, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-ish type game, but without weapons, and this horror aspect to it. I've obviously never had the opportunity to do it, the scope of it is huge compared to something like Dear Esther, even though Dear Esther ended up being much larger than I thought originally," he said in an interview with Joe Martin's Unlimited Hyperbole podcast. "Can't even believe I'm contemplating doing this kind of open world type of thing, I mean, it's just so unreal for one person to do. And this is the whole thing, I want to see if just one person could create a game on their own, to a degree that's probably not been done before."

Briscoe is just kicking around ideas and looking at engines at this point, but said that Dear Esther has left him with the means to support himself while he works on the project "for the next four years" if he wants to. As someone who would go absolutely nuts for an open-world S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-style exploration-horror game tinged with Briscoe's artistic sense, I think that's very good news indeed.

Source: Unlimited Hyperbole [http://joemartinwords.com/2012/10/24/unlimited-hyperbole-12/]

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Or you could keep guns in the game, but make the ammo so scarce that it acts more like a security blanket.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Robert Briscoe is now my favourite person. I love the way he's thinking.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Yeah, Dear Esther is a Stalker without guns. Or enemies. Or obstacles. Or open world. Or actual gameplay...

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Instead of guns you have artifacts and lots of them. You throw them like grenades and where they land they create a random anomaly.

ALL OF THE MEAT GRINDER ANOMALY GRENADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Bindal said:
Yeah, Dear Esther is a Stalker without guns. Or enemies. Or obstacles. Or open world. Or actual gameplay...
The article didn't say that Dear Esther is S.T.A.L.K.E.R without guns, it said that one of the creators of Dear Esther is now considering making a game that's like S.T.A.L.K.E.R without guns.

Reading more than just the title is a good idea.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
I'm absolutely in love with this idea. Since I highly enjoyed Dear Esther for its narrative, love exploring and am big fan of post-apocalyptic settings - that game would be pretty much perfect for me.

I#m wishin

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I'll be all over this if he ends up going through with this, but I still want someone to do for Korsakovia (thechineseroom's second project) what he did for Dear Esther. If they could get rid of the godawful jumping puzzles while making it look as awesome as that, I'd be pretty excited, because that had some pretty excellently weird/unsettling settings, but it's a bit wonky in the newer Source Engine builds.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Sounds interesting, but he should find a team I think. Also, Kickstarter.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Nenad said:
Sounds interesting, but he should find a team I think. Also, Kickstarter.
What he said. Excellent idea, but it's unrealistic to think one man can tackle that kind of a project completely on his own. Well, I mean, you probably could, but you'd be looking at a development time of around fifteen years. Unless you took lots of shortcuts and those tend to lower the quality of the finished product.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
How are people finding this interesting? I'm not saying that non-combat games are bad (The Stanley Parable is one of my favorite games of all time), but what made Stalker good was a) The phenomenally good gunplay, and b) The atmosphere and the struggle to survive. Stalker was a unique experience because (at least in the beginning), life in the Zone was an unending, brutal battle. Removing weapons, and therefore being unable to conquer and defeat what the Zone threw at you, would kill pretty much all of the satisfaction brought to the table by the game. If the guy wants an open-world exploration game with horror elements and no combat, he should've just said so, because removing combat from Stalker is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Never played Dear Esther but I always thought one of the best ways to do a true 'Survival Horror' experience would be to take weapons out. Just think about it, in almost every survival horror game there comes a point where you are so overloaded with weapons and health that it stops being scary. Yes, even S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but a game where you have nothing in the way of defense besides running and hiding would be a thrill especially in a sandbox game, it would make exploration really tense.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Mh, it kind of seems like some people have not read the book, from where the original idea came of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and more importantly the ZONE came from, Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. It would not hurt to look up the movie STALKER by Tarkovsky.
If this is done well, I would definitely have a go but then again I have been a 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' ever since I read the book.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
As I understand, he basically wants to take out the guns and therefore human enemies, though border patrols would be allowed in my opinion, as long as the only thing you can do about it is to try and not get shot. If he is to go by the original concept of the ZONE, that is ok as there are still anomalies, feeling of loneliness, quite often helplessness and an uncertainty whether your next step will be your last or not.

This is the way it is with the Zone: if you come
back with swag -- it?s a miracle; if you come back alive -- it?s a success; if the
patrol bullets miss you -- it?s a stroke of luck. And as for anything else -- that?s
fate

pdf of the translated version of the book
http://thomas-hersey.wiki.uml.edu/file/view/Roadside%2BPicnic.pdf
the movie with English subtitles ... if subs do not show, turn on captions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEfJhkPK7o&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
deathbydeath said:
How are people finding this interesting? I'm not saying that non-combat games are bad (The Stanley Parable is one of my favorite games of all time), but what made Stalker good was a) The phenomenally good gunplay, and b) The atmosphere and the struggle to survive. Stalker was a unique experience because (at least in the beginning), life in the Zone was an unending, brutal battle. Removing weapons, and therefore being unable to conquer and defeat what the Zone threw at you, would kill pretty much all of the satisfaction brought to the table by the game. If the guy wants an open-world exploration game with horror elements and no combat, he should've just said so, because removing combat from Stalker is one of the dumbest things I've heard.
I loved exploration in Stalker, but was not too thrilled about the shooting part. Never saw that gameplay as "conquering and defeating" the Zone.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Another day, another developer inspired by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. This can only be a good thing.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Don Reba said:
deathbydeath said:
I loved exploration in Stalker, but was not too thrilled about the shooting part. Never saw that gameplay as "conquering and defeating" the Zone.
Ah, relativity. The bane of every argument. Anyway, the exploration (which I loved too) wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable without combat, with both lending hands to the pacing of the game. You'd have to be really, really, really talented to pull off a game with no conflict well.