Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

The CEO of social gaming company Gogogic says that games are naturally meant to be played with others.

Reykjavik-based Gogogic specializes in casual and social gaming, so it does have a certain bias about how people play games, but even so these comments by CEO Jonan Antonsson are a little extreme. In a recent interview, he effectively dismissed single-player gaming, saying that while there's a "strong audience for hard and unrelenting games" like Demon's Souls, games are meant first and foremost to be played with others.

"The single player mechanic is a gimmick - games are meant to be played with others and it doesn't matter if it's in-person or online," Antonsson said. "The first games were designed as multiplayer experiences, but when computer and console games became a thing there was a need to construct an antagonist and/or a protagonist for commercial purposes. You couldn't depend on people coming together to have a synchronous experience over a game. That would have simply stifled sales. And since there was no reasonable way to connect people in other ways - the arcade was the only serious attempt - it became an industry need to project the game as the other player."

"Playing a game is a multiplayer activity and can easily be seen as such when you watch young toddlers play by themselves," he added. "They invent someone to play with, someone that they talk to and interact with."

I can see where he's coming from - historically, especially as children, people have played with others - but videogames have changed the definition of "play." You don't read multiplayer books, after all, and listening to music or watching television isn't an inherently social activity either. Antonsson hedged his bet somewhat by stating that even something as simple as a high score list is enough to make a game social and "transform it to an asynchronous multiplayer experience," but he then went on to restate his belief that single-player experiences are becoming largely irrelevant to anyone outside a very niche audience.

"Now we can connect people in and around a game through real time PvP and PvE mechanics and the need for pure single player games had gone down. We have multiple plots and stories and build the meta-experience for the entire audience. The premise for making games has changed - reverted back to building multiplayer experiences that are true to the game form," he said. "This doesn't mean that we have run out of room when it comes to great single-player titles or games that make you sweat and curse every couple of minutes. It means that those titles have to be very appealing and cater well to the hardcore audience."

Source: the [a]list daily [http://www.thealistdaily.com/news/exclusive-gogogic-on-branded-games-accessibility-and-more/]

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010

I am sorry but I really can't take this seriously. I play Singleplayer all the time and never once thought "Man... This is so retarded. Why did the Developers make this shitty single player campaign?"

If I am thinking anything remotely close to that I am thinking Why did they make this shitty game at all?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
How can it be a gimmick if that's how computer games actually began?

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Yeah okay. Have fun convincing Bethesda that single player is a gimmick and nothing more.

Seriously though, guy's an idiot. I have single and multiplayer games. I play them for their respective purposes. Not all of them are meant to be played multiplayer. End of.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
everything i could say you already stated in the article. i can see where he's coming from, but video games are an entertainment medium. the game part comes from their interactivity, but trying to limit them to MP experiences is just plain ignorant. as you said, you can read books by yourself, and listen to music and watch tv by yourself too. video games are like having all these things at the same time. they're a higher concentration of entertainment, with the added bonuses that being interactive gives them. MP is fine, but you simply can't try to alienate people who want to enjoy this by themselves either. that's just, bad business.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Gogo-who-the-hell? Never ever heard of them before, although that's not so strange when their apparent focus is Facebook and iOS (not mobile gaming in general, just iOS). He's just making himself sound like another case of a self-labelled know-it-all over-analysing something he's never ever involved in, which makes his opinion really hard to take seriously.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
This man definitely knows what he's talking about! Proof: My brothers girlfriend has never been a gamer before and has now sunk well over 400 hours into Skyrim. Yup! Single player is for the hardcore, sir!

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
People like to game with their friends, like the olden days where we had to invest in several controllers and an adapter just so 2 to 4 of your friends could play.

Heck i loved to play online with friends when all we had to do was drop an ip address thru a chat client or email and all meet up.

Playing random faceless strangers online is nowhere near the same thing, and the way the vast majority behave online, where there are generally no consequences for behaving badly.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Perfect recruit for EA.

Single player gives you a consistant and immersive experince that has no risk of being ruined by other people. Calling it a gimmick just sounds ignorant

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Solo-Wing said:
First of all: Skyrim; your argument, Antonsson, is incorrect according to FACTS.

And MMO's are definitely the best investment, as a business decision, yes?

He seems to be unable to think of a game as anything other than a contest. Videogames go way beyond simple contests.

The only multiplayer game I've played in months was Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (speaking of gimmicks), and I only did that to get my galactic readiness level up for the single player.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
CEO of hitherto unknown company spews some bullshit to make the product of his company sound like the only thing anyone should ever buy. In my honest opinion, ramblings such as this aren't really newsworthy, because it is such obvious delusional tripe by someone trying to desperately rationalize the point and purpose of his company's (and, sometimes, by extension, his own) existence. We usually hear this sort of thing from clueless executives of struggling companies.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
This is blatantly a statement made to get headlines. In fact, didn't someone already make more or less this exact statement a couple of years ago?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I tend to prefer multiplayer games. Longtime favorites of mine include Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead 2, Draw Something... But don't tell me that Portal was gimmicky because it was single player. No, it was gimmicky because it had a portal gun (proving that gimmicks aren't inherently bad, as well).

P.S. Thanks

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Welp, he's delusional. Or just plain stupid, hard to tell sometimes.

Better go off and tell the folks at Bethesda and BioWare[footnote]Yes, I'm aware ME3 has multiplayer, but hush you.[/footnote] that their games are only gimmicky fads.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
While I acknowledge his general argument, you could strain pasta with his conclusion.

I could probably just say "Skyrim" and the "your argument is invalid" memes would start flying.

More to the point, if single-player is or has become a niche market, then explain why AAA titles that push multiplayer are down in sales, why the social gaming market is imploding, and why the independent market (populated with a vast majority with single-player games) is booming

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Much as I would normally enjoy making a thoughtful and carefully considered rebuttal, my gut feeling is that the appropriate and deserved reaction to Mr. Antonsson's comment would be as follows:

*bitchslap* "WRONG!"

You know how some people love to tell you that an opinion can't be wrong, or worse, that all opinions are equally valid?

See above.