World of Tanks Named Best MMO at Golden Joystick Awards

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
World of Tanks Named Best MMO at Golden Joystick Awards

Skyrim wins big as the awards set a new record for voter participation.

As the longest-running annual gaming awards series - and the oldest gaming honors voted on by the general public - the Golden Joystick Awards have a long and storied history. This year marks the event's 30th anniversary, and the winners include... well... pretty much the games you'd expect to win. With more than 4 million votes tallied, which doubles last year's record, it's hard to argue with these results.

Some of the more interesting honorees include Minecraft for Game Most Similar to Cocaine Addiction and Slender for Game Most Likely to Make You Change Your Pants. Ok, I made those up. Check out the full list of the real winners below.

Ultimate Game of the Year: Skyrim
Best Action Game: Batman: Arkham City
Best Strategy Game: Civilization V: Gods and Kings
Best Tablet Game: Angry Birds Space
Best Downloadable Game: Minecraft XBLA
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat
Best Shooter: Battlefield 3
Best MMO: World of Tanks
Best Handheld Game: Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Best DLC: Portal 2
Best Sports Game: FIFA 12
Best Racing Game: Forza 4
Best Browser Game: Slender
The One to Watch: Grand Theft Auto V
Top Gaming Moment: Visiting Skyrim's Throat of the World

For a bit of perspective on just how far we've come in the past 30 years, take a look at the image above. On the bottom is the very first Golden Joystick Game of the Year winner, Jetpac for the ZX Spectrum and VIC-20 home computers, and on the top is Skyrim, this year's overall top dog.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/375036/golden-joystick-awards-2012-all-the-winners/]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Wooo, go World of Tanks! Looking forward to my next fight in it!

Also more proof I need to get Skyrim.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
WoT is the best MMO according to this thing. Ehh dodgey, it's a good game (I play it) but I feel there would be something better than it. Swtor perhaps.

I did know they did not take into consideration GW2, I much assume because it came out mid-year. So next year it should be included.

I hope people will read this and not rage that GW2 isn't on the list.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
http://mmogrinder.net/2012/03/04/world-of-tanks-episode-16/

I don't play tank games, but ChaosD1 made World of Tanks sound good.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm disappointed. You didn't mentioned the Stephen Fry robot.

And that Spec Ops: The Line didn't win best shooter.

And that the FIFA series/EA won an award for "Oustanding Contribution to Gaming"

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Minecraft is a few years old. I don't think it is fair that it should be included just because it was released on the 360.

Maybe i'm just a bit sore that Dust got no mention.

I was highly disappointed with skyrim personally. I wouldn't put it on the top 10 list of my favorite releases if I made a list.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Andy Shandy said:

And that the FIFA series/EA won an award for "Oustanding Contribution to Gaming"
It didn't win cause most of the awards are voted for by the public so really its just a miracle that it didn't go to MW3

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
getoffmycloud said:
Andy Shandy said:

It didn't win cause most of the awards are voted for by the public so really its just a miracle that it didn't go to MW3
Yeah, I knew the reason for it. =P Still disappointed though D=

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
getoffmycloud said:
Andy Shandy said:

Yeah, I knew the reason for it. =P Still disappointed though D=
Yeah so am I, it should take the best shooter award for every year for the rest of time in my opinion.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Visiting Skyrim's Throat of the World was...dull. Top gaming moment my arse...or maybe I'm just spoiled.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Wait...

Isn't World of Tanks a lobby-based arena game?

Is 30 players now considered massive?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hagi said:
Wait...

In WOW unless you're considerably lucky or in a dedicated PVP zone you're playing with what, the five people you're grouped with most of the time while talking to whoever else is around (Usually 10 or so people unless you're in a city).

I'd saw WOT is roughly the same thing

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
MikeWehner said:
For a bit of perspective on just how far we've come in the past 30 years, take a look at the image above. On the bottom is the very first Golden Joystick Game of the Year winner, Jetpac for the ZX Spectrum and VIC-20 home computers, and on the top is Skyrim, this year's overall top dog.
I still have my VIC-20, still prefer Jetpac to most things that made it onto that list, and still want you all to get off my lawn.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Well in fairness I think it should win GOTY or best story, but there's no best story which is balls. It doesn't help our image if we miss certain category's like this.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
The game itself may be deserving, but the company behind certainly is not X3. I've been in that game since the closed BETA, and I cannot remember even a fraction of all the crap Wargaming.net has tried to pull on it's playerbase. I finally decided I'm done with the game a few months ago... Things such as selling us EXCLUSIVE ONETIME ONLY PRE-ORDER VEHICLES, only to have them show up in the real-money store half a year later... That's the kinda shit that costs you a dedicated players trust!

On top of that, the game just gets boring and kinda fustrating in the long run. I can't enjoy myself in it anymore, so I'm much happier playing Planetside 2 now ^^.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
dogstile said:
Hagi said:
Wait...

In WOW unless you're considerably lucky or in a dedicated PVP zone you're playing with what, the five people you're grouped with most of the time while talking to whoever else is around (Usually 10 or so people unless you're in a city).

I'd saw WOT is roughly the same thing
You're nonetheless in a persistent world with thousands of other players.

Every time you visit a market hub there will be hundreds of players there.

No clue how WoW is doing these days but used to be that there'd be occasional world PvP involving 100+ players easily.

And WoW is by all means a light and more casual MMO.

Take EvE online with battles featuring over 3000 players at times, that's a much more serious MMO.

If WoT is a MMO then so is battlefield. So is Call of Duty. So is any game featuring more than a dozen simultaneous players. Which makes the MMO tag utterly meaningless.