Upcoming Hollywood Blockbuster: Some Guy Gets Married In Second Life, RL Wife Is Pissed Off

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Upcoming Hollywood Blockbuster: Some Guy Gets Married In Second Life, RL Wife Is Pissed Off

Straight from the Department of Creative Bankruptcy comes news that Second Life [http://www.universalpictures.com/] girlfriend while he was still married in real life.

The story originated in a Is This Man Cheating On His Wife? [http://online.wsj.com/] It told the tale of Ric Hoogestraat of Phoenix, Arizona, an avid Second Life player who became engaged in a virtual relationship with fellow Second Lifer Janet Spielman. The two own a pair of virtual dogs together, pay an in-game mortgage and "spend hours shopping at the mall and taking long motorcycle rides." In mid-2007, Hoogestraat asked Spielman to marry him in the game and become his "virtual wife."

None of which sat very well with Sue Hoogestraat, his first-life wife. "It's really devastating," she said. "You try to talk to someone or bring them a drink, and they'll be having sex with a cartoon."

Hoogestraat defends Second Life as just a game, albeit one he spends six hours a night playing. He said he has never actually spoken with his online spouse, even over the telephone, and that they have no plans to meet. But that's of little comfort to the real Mrs. Hoogestraat, who said, "It's sad. It's a waste of human life. Everybody has their hobbies, but when it's from six in the morning until two in the morning, that's not a hobby, that's your life." Ironically, Sue and Ric met online three years ago through a computer chat room.

Now, Verbinski and unnamed executives from Universal have decided that this is a story worth a Hollywood retelling. Eastern Promises [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1140275/], has been hired to come up with a screenplay based on the original Wall Street Journal article.

I really don't know what else to say about this except to rail viciously at the spiraling worthlessness of the Hollywood film industry. Does anyone think this is a good idea? That this vaguely sad but otherwise entirely unremarkable story somehow has the makings of a big Hollywood blockbuster? I don't particularly care about Verbinski or the movies he churns out, but this is the man who's been handed the reins to the BioShock [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230526/] film. What hope can we have for that if this is the kind of thing he thinks will put butts in seats at the local Cinerama?

Source: /Film [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117997496.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564]

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
This sounds like a really stupid idea for a movie. It does worry me a bit that this guy is also directing Bioshock.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Spoiler: The second life girlfriend - a dude.

Oh wait, I should have used tags on that one! Oh toes! I have spoiled it for all!!!

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
No! No Mr. Verbinski! I loved Pirates of the Caribbean! And I even put up with the not-nearly as satisfying sequels that you had to pump out; even that cliffhanger crap in the second movie. But now you're doing... this?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
If you'll excuse me, I'm just going to go pray to sweet Azathoth for a merciful annihilation of this planet. If he doesn't listen, I'll be right back.

MintyFreshBreathGuy

Oct 10, 2008
I heard of this movie a long time ago, along with looking up System shock 3 (IT'S BEING MADE BY EA!!!!!!!). Might I freely say, after learning who the director is, I have no hope for this. He screwed up, or at least helped screw up, the last two PoTC REALLY badly so... I guess I'll go see it anyway.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I imagine, and this is just off the top of my head, a supposition of how I would write it, that the story will be some sort of moral conundrum. You can't do anything with "Guy gets married in Second life, and wife is ticked off enough that she might separate" because lets be frank, that's nothing. So instead, it'll probably have a plot in which this fellow cultivates his relationship with this online avatar wife and in the end he'll meet her, while completely alienating his real spouse. I'm also sensing a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" story. Now, I see a few possible endings A) she's not what he was expecting at all, and he is driven back to his real wife who either leaves him, or sticks by him (depending, B) She's the girl of his dreams and he starts a new, better Second life (get it, it makes so much sense!) or his old wife kills her (or him, it doesn't matter). Or it'll be a romantic comedy. But I don't want to even conjecture about the plot of those, for fear it actually gets made.

Frankly, I'm not surprised the guy who made a movie (a trilogy for pete's sake! That means they felt they had enough material from one ride for THREE movies!) based on a theme-park ride has been tapped to direct two movies that relate to videogames. Its the same old story really. Videogame movies always get the bottom of the barrel in Hollywood.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I having a really hard time imagining the guy who wrote Eastern Promises (remember the bath fight scene) write this kid of movie.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Has Hollywood really run out of movies to remake and ideas that they feel the need to make a movie out of something so stupid.

Oh wait that's all they are capable of, frigging robots.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Could I see this as a movie? Yes. Could I see this as a Hollywood movie? No.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
It looks like after his phenomenal success with the Pirates of the Carribean, Verbinski blew all of his money on hookers, blow, and an Internet subscription. Guess which one killed the most braincells.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I think you guys are all off your rockers! This has the potential to be one of the finest productions tinsel town has given us yet! OMG we can get jennifer aniston as the rl wife, keanu reeves as the main charachter, and Kathy Griffen as the chick on line.

hold on, need to adjust my meds...

ohhh thats better the lucidity is back. Computer *anything* looks stupid in movies. If directors havn't learned that yet after "The Net", well, i don't know what to say.

keanu reeves getting a floppy disk caught in kathy griffens scsi port would be something, though not something i'd pay 8 bucks to go see.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
There is so much crap on TV, one crappy movie more or less won't make much of a difference.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
thiosk said:
I think you guys are all off your rockers! This has the potential to be one of the finest productions tinsel town has given us yet! OMG we can get jennifer aniston as the rl wife, keanu reeves as the main charachter, and Kathy Griffen as the chick on line.
Kathy Griffin as the chick online? I think it'd be more realistic to cast Kathy Bates.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
thiosk said:

hold on, need to adjust my meds...

ohhh thats better the lucidity is back. Computer *anything* looks stupid in movies. If directors havn't learned that yet after "The Net", well, i don't know what to say.

keanu reeves getting a floppy disk caught in kathy griffens scsi port would be something, though not something i'd pay 8 bucks to go see.
Yes! Because Keanu Reeves would be as totally expressionless as the avatar he would portray!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
thiosk said:
keanu reeves as the main charachter
Some people might get confused about who is an emotionless machine running only on calculations and formulas programmed in advance and who is the pc.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
this "second wife" film is going to be so bad, people will start hoping the 2012 myths are true.