Microsoft: No Special Policies for Halo 4 Sexism

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Microsoft insists that Xbox Live bigotry will net you a ban, no matter which group it's aimed at.

Last week, several outlets, including The Escapist, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120412-Halo-4-Sexism-Earns-You-a-Lifetime-Ban] reported that players who use sexist slurs during Halo 4 matches would face a lifetime ban from the Xbox Live service. The media coverage of an interview with 343 Industry's Kiki Wolfkill and Bonnie Ross misinterpreted their statements to mean Microsoft was changing its online policies specifically for Halo 4 with a focus on sexism in particular. A Microsoft rep has since confirmed that this is not the case.

"While Xbox Live indeed does not condone harassment of any kind, account and console bans are issued based on a robust complaint and evidence-based system," the spokesperson told Destructoid. "There is no difference in the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct for Halo 4."

The rep also made it clear that Xbox Live policy is no more tolerant of homophobia, racism or any other form of bigotry than it is of sexism. However, the Xbox Live Code of Conduct does specify that "severe racial remarks," alongside modding, fraud, hacking and using your Xbox Live Camera to take photos of your genitals, can warrant an "immediate permanent suspension." Other forms of bigotry aren't mentioned in that passage.

Regarding general behavior, the Code of Conduct Reads as follows:

Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.
We apologize for our contribution to the confusion on this matter.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/halo-4-will-not-be-issuing-special-xbl-bans-for-sexism-238129.phtml]

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Bans!, Bans for everyone!.

I thought all of the above kinda went without saying no? i mean that's how i took it when i read the last article about this.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
So, basically Halo 4 isn't raising the stakes and they'll continue to ignore all the bigotry as usual? I had a feeling this might be the case.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Aww... I normally take any ban with a grind of salt, but was actually looking forward to the ranters and "tough kids" fearing for their lives about uttering a single sentence that might be considered "mildly offensive", like some twisted social study about forced politeness while Big Brother is watching.

And no, that actually isn't sarcasm. I was genuinly curious to see if this would spawn some 1800th century style of english wit kind of swearing or just sobbing and tears over a lack of expessing their frustration :p

Oh well, playing mindgames with trolls also has its charm, but I would not be the first to say that having the ban hammer hanging that heavily over their head would be welcomed.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Grey Carter said:

The rep also made it clear that Xbox Live policy is no more tolerant of homophobia, racism or any other form of bigotry than it is of sexism. However, the Xbox Live Code of Conduct does specify that "severe racial remarks," alongside modding, fraud, hacking and using your Xbox Live Camera to take photos of your genitals, can warrant an "immediate permanent suspension." Other forms of bigotry aren't mentioned in that passage.
Ahh, thank god I live in a world where this needs to be specified. Isn't life wonderful?

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Rocklobster99 said:
What about general dickery, is that okay?
It wouldn't be Halo without it

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go throw grenades at my flag carrier

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
Wow I love how you can banned just for hurting someone's feelings now a days. I miss the old days of Counter Strike, Quake, Unreal etc where you could throw around racial slurs and insults for fun and the admins wouldn't give two shits.

Sep 14, 2009
it's quite tempting to buy a mic, and just get creative to see what I could possibly get away with.

"BAH, YOU'RE SUCH A CHUNKY COUCH, GET YOUR FLOPPY CUSHIONS OUT OF HERE!"

Bah, feelings these days...so easy to hurt with mere sounds with lack of fuck all context.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
Wolfkill, god damn that's an awesome name, to quote Yahtzee "It could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire?.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
You don't have to apologize. Compare their policy to fifteen actual minutes on xbox live, and anybody would have been mistaken.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
L34dP1LL said:
Wolfkill, god damn that's an awesome name, to quote Yahtzee "It could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire?.
Kiki Wolfkill does have breasts actually. Don't think she's ever been set aflame though.

Clarification is nice but I wish people where smart enough not to need it... "OMG THEY'RE ONLY DOIN' THS TO PLZ TEH FEMINAZIS LOL LOL LOL SLURS ARE MY RITE" was the train of thought a lot took last time.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Oh that's a shame. So basically Live will stay the way it is and nobody will be banned ever? Good thing I didn't renew it

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
oldtaku said:
It may be written down somewhere, but it's certainly not enforced.
Last time I checked it was enforced. A couple button presses and no more racism/sexism/bigotry or any abuse. Banning offensive people from my XBL experience is rather quick and easy.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Called it

An eloquent & carefully worded statement by Microsoft, letting us all know that they have always claimed in their EULA that they condemn bigotry & that they will continue their practice of ignoring it's existence entirely

I can't help but be reminded of the people who'd been banned from XBL for the mere mention that they have a sexual orientation that isn't the same as the hate-speech-spewing demographic that funded Windows 8

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
Grey Carter said:

Ahh, thank god I live in a world where this needs to be specified. Isn't life wonderful?
You're surprised? We live in a world where strollers come with a sticker that says "remove child before folding."