Get Rid of the Dang Arrows

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Get Rid of the Dang Arrows

Game developers are a bit too eager to load up a game's HUD with info.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, I actually rather like the markers. They let me know where to go last after I've explored everywhere else. Few things irritate me like accidentally stumbling into the next level/area/cutscene before I've explored to my heart's content.

I do find their presence in linear games a bit puzzling though. I'd prefer that they simply make the path clear through the level layout, Valve-style. Then again, that's much easier said than done.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
And yet, my biggest criticism of Halo 4 is the lack of a compass in multiplayer. I mean, come on! I get that it's not an adventure game, but do you have any idea how easy it is to get disoriented during a firefight? Trying to co-ordinate with a team on Solace was a nightmare. THEY'RE BY THE DIRTY BASE!

WHICH WAY IS THAT?!

Warfighter is clearly an example of too much handholding - especially since the presence of a GUI in a 'realistic' shooter is just plain meta-gaming, whereas Halo 4 has a perfectly canon reason to have compasses in multiplayer and just plain doesn't.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
Eh, I actually rather like the markers. They let me know where to go last after I've explored everywhere else. Few things irritate me like accidentally stumbling into the next level/area/cutscene before I've explored to my heart's content.

I do find their presence in linear games a bit puzzling though. I'd prefer that they simply make the path clear through the level layout, Valve-style. Then again, that's much easier said than done.
Yeah, I dont have problem with quest markers like that in open games. God knows, im one of those poor bastards that sometimes needs to be lead by the nose as I couldnt find it on my own sometimes.

But in linear games, they do seem odd.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
This discussion of exploration reminds me of the original Legend of Zelda. You aren't really given a direction as to where to start and you're just left to explore the world and find the dungeons that are stepping stones to saving Hyrule. I remember getting lost there, but it was fun because it seemed like a new experience every time I started it up and found a whole new area to die in. Wish more games let you figure stuff out like that, but perhaps not to the same ridiculous degree.

Maybe a game where you start off with a blank map, and as you explore, the map becomes visible and as you interact with world objects, it would get marked up to indicate things you explored, things you changed, things you (the player) marked for some significance, etc. It essentially takes the map ideas of Minecraft and Silent Hill and combines them into something that encourages exploration while helping you keep track of where you've been. And probably make it a non-mini-map thing. If you want to know where you're going, open the map up and actually look at it rather than taking your eyes away from the environment to focus on the mini-map.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I have to say, markers telling me what I had to blow up in Halo 4 didn't really decrease my enjoyment of the game.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm all for it, if environments are sufficiently varied enough with distinct landmarks for navigation, and I can still read a journal entry telling me to turn north at the big tree or whatever. I do not relish a return to mapping identical dungeon corridors by hand like we had to in the 8-bit/16-bit RPG days. That means no samey-brown sand/rock corridors or samey-grey metal corridors.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I agree about the map in AC3. Hunting down all 100 feathers in AC2 was sometimes torturous experience, and sometimes I wonder to this day why I bothered, but I stuck at it, and it felt incredibly satisfying to have my hard work rewarded. Since then however, you can buy maps that give you the locations of all the feathers, as well as other collectibles, and to be honest it kind of defeats the point of having them in the first place. It stops being a scavenger hunt, where the player is rewarded for their keen senses and problem solving skills, and while at times frustrating is always compelling due to the nature of man wanting to solve problems. Instead, it just becoms another instruction "There. There's a thing Player. Go on. Fetch."

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I played Dishonoured without objective markers and enjoyed it a lot more for being able to turn them off, while i'm sure many people found them nessecary. As long as features like this are optional i have no problem at all with them

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Good read! Big, flashing arrows really should be a last resort, instead of the main means of orientation. Perhaps someone could start a kickstarter project, patent them and blackmail all developers to only use them responsibly?

Now, old ArmA II did have some pointy arrows showing the general area you where supposed to reach here and there, but thankfully, there weren't too many of them to spoil the open world concept. Usually, it went like "Boris Genocidevitj is probably hiding in a rebel camp somewhere inside this huge forest, about half an hour's drive from here. Ask the locals for directions, if you're lucky, they might know something specific", and then you'd drive your little crew around the countryside looking for clues or completing sidequests. I feel that's the way to do it, there's no use having an open world if you're not going to let things get a bit organic.

Not to say more linear games have any excuse, there's even less of a reason to point everything out with flashing arrows when you're indoors. A special door is a possibility to let the player feel smart and happy to progress, not just something you park an arrow over and call it a day.

Although a pointy arrow could be useful as a last resort mechanic in a more difficult puzzle game. Something akin to Amnesia, perhaps. If you really can't for the life of you find the solution to a puzzle after half an hour and about twenty canteens of oil, then maybe you could opt to sacrifice a bit of your health for a hint-arrow. Of course, it's all hinging on it being costly enough to use to discourage people from abusing it, but it could be a neat last way out.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
This article has inspired me to play Skyrim with the quest markers turned off and no fast travelling. Lets see how long this lasts once I actually start playing.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
"there's not a single slightly significant thing in that game that doesn't sport a massive indicator on the minimap"
Wow, I actually had to read that like 5 times and simplify it down to understand it.

Also, while a lot of people like to say "well turn them off and enjoy the game properly" I'm one of those gamers that almost instinctively tries to utilize everything for efficiency's sake. So even if I try to immerse myself by turning everything off, there's always a nagging feeling in the back of my head to turn it all back on.

Storm Dragon said:
This article has inspired me to play Skyrim with the quest markers turned off and no fast travelling. Lets see how long this lasts once I actually start playing.
I've actually heard some complaints that the quests don't give you enough information to do them without the markers or at least you'll be severely hindered.

Amnesiac Pigeon

Jul 14, 2010
I found I enjoyed Dishonored far more once I turned the quest markers off.

In a game that has environments that stunning its a travesty that they put a big white marker on the screen at all times shouting "Your target is here numbnuts!"

Having to scout out areas finding clues of where your target might be was far more rewarding.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know, I kind of appreciate having objective markers in open world games like Skyrim or Just Cause 2 which I've recently started playing. If I want to explore, I'll explore, but when I want to get my current quest/mission done I want to know where to go right away and not have to bother trying to figure out where I have to go and how to get there. In other words, I want to cut right to the juicy bits.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I'm fine either way so long as there are sufficient clues in the quest to tell you where to go. "Kill 10 Rabid Pheasants" isn't really going to work without a quest marker. "Kill 10 Rabid Pheasants located to the north of town", however, would work.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
But Yahtzee, every game has to have them, because previous games that have done well had them!! How can we ever make progress as people if we dont carry over every popular feature whether or not its necessary or appropriate?

Seriously though, I think, as with basically all elements of a HUD, it should be a toggle option in the menu. Those that want to explore the environment to find out where to go can do so unmolested, and those that arent able to think for themselves can be led by the nose by a flashing arrow.
The toggle is a good idea. Or even just have a "hint" button so to speak.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Well in linear games sure.

Get rid of them. They don't make sense.

But I'd really like to have some form of waypoint in large open world games (at minimum just a map with marked names and then a compass).

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Just a thought, but surely putting a big arrow over something to make sure the player looks at it should be saved for the last resort, after you've done everything else you can to make it noticeable with a striking appearance or contrasting colors or laying out the surroundings appropriately. I think of Team Fortress 2. There needed to be a way for teammates to identify friendly spies disguised as the enemy. At first the developers tried sticking big floaty indicators over their heads, but it didn't naturally convey the intended meaning. So instead, to their own team, spies appear to be wearing incredibly obvious cardboard masks, which is both more indicative and funnier. The elegant approach is infinitely superior.
And on the flip side of things, Team Fortress 2 again. The developers got tired of designing the payload maps with intuitive, linear routes and just tossed Left 4 Dead's magic highlighting thingamabob onto the cart so players could see where it is through the walls. Other than the HUD itself, it's the only element of the game that doesn't pretend to be a real part of the world, and it takes players out of the game. Then they added it to the intel briefcase because apparently a prominent arrow pointing in its general direction wasn't good enough. And now Portal 2 does the same thing with portals, which I'm sure comes in handy in co-op but why did we have to suffer through it in single-player?

I'm guessing Yahtzee is not a fan of that trend either.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Yahtzee said:
There are far too many games - seems to happen a lot in sandbox driving games, on reflection - where I spend far too much of the experience with my eyes glued to the minimap.
When I read this, the first thing I thought was "but, those city maps in Saints Row 2 - or whereever - are confusing when you first start playing. It can be hard to figure out which streets get you where you're going! Just like in a real city -"

At which point my brain said "well, how do you get around in a real city with no objective marker?"

And my brain then responded "with GPS, which tells me when to turn"

So yeah, there's my idea about how to replace mini maps and objective markers in sandbox Crime games. Have an option for an actual in-game GPS to tell you when and where to turn, but without showing you. All audio, or maybe a little HUDs left, right, straight light at the bottom of the screen that doesn't use a map.

And give players who like objective markers the option to use them anyway. But that way those that want a more organic experience can have one.