Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Review

A step forward while dragging along military shooter design.

Read Full Article

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
For another opinion check out this review from our friends at Smosh Games.
...The hell? I mean, I know cross-promotion is good and all, but really, there are much better people to associate with.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
4 stars does seem fair, probably what I would rate it as.

And those Strike Force missions are bloody impossible (at least for me) on Veteran.

Definitely an improvement over Modern Warfare 3.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This review seemed to more or less match my thoughts on it. Though, this guys sounds a fair bit more down on it.

Awesome game non the less.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
This is a good all-round, fairly detailed review from the Escapist. I don't see many of those.

Looks ok. Indeed, the futuristic levels are the only ones that look entertaining. Most other locations just don't seem anything out of the ordinary FPS though. Not enough to convert me to drop my Japanese games for.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
I've been playing for a while and I have to say this review pretty much mirrors what I think so far. It's fun and generally an improvement over the last two outings in the CoD series. That said it doesn't change much at its core, and it won't win any new converts.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ok, so the campaign is pretty much the same. run, shoot and enjoy more explosions the chatters. MP does sound a bit ok that you just cant have everything you want but still doesnt convince me to get it.
i stick with my BF3 premium. thanks.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
4 stars does seem fair, probably what I would rate it as.

And those Strike Force missions are bloody impossible (at least for me) on Veteran.

Definitely an improvement over Modern Warfare 3.
The strike force missions are intriguing but I'd rather they'd taken the idea further, I gotta say I only managed one in RTS mode on Regular and I only JUST scraped through it, need to dive in yourself to suceed.

I must say though Black Ops 2 did bring some fresh ideas they just needed dragging out farther. It's definately an excellent experience though, I'll be replaying the campaign (literally just finished first run through) to see what I can do differently, with the variable loadouts and diverting stories I expect a lot of replay value.

Tons of really fun toys to play with too. Multiplayer I haven't done too much of but it seemed to have a lot more balance and I've yet to play a game dominated by killstreaks (fuck you MW3! Fuck you and your overloaded skies!) there's a lot of back and forth and I like the eSports appraoch they took. The pick 10 system is great too, means I can ditch my worthless secondary for extra stuff I'll actually use.

Zombies I've not done too much of either but it's fun as ever, gonna do a bit of TranZit before bed I think.

Oh and special mention: the OST is fucking brilliant, it's like an old NIN concept album. The theme is like something from The Downward Spiral it's magnificent I've been listening to it non-stop for 3 days now.

Edit: I did enjoy MW3, infact I enjoyed the multiplayer a lot more than previous titles because the scorestreaks suited me better than kills, not because I'm hopeless or anything, but because I like to gamble with my life in FPS's. I could be safe and camp, or I could blow shit up, right?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Phlakes said:
...The hell? I mean, I know cross-promotion is good and all, but really, there are much better people to associate with.
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but Alloy Digital (who also own SMOSH) now own the Escapist.
Source: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/11/15/alloy-digital-acquires-escapist

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Metalrocks said:
ok, so the campaign is pretty much the same. run, shoot and enjoy more explosions the chatters. MP does sound a bit ok that you just cant have everything you want but still doesnt convince me to get it.
i stick with my BF3 premium. thanks.
I...uh....what?

Both games have the same amount of repetitiveness, in both multi-player and campaign. Saying you prefer one over the other is like saying you prefer a Toyota Camry over the Holden Apollo (because they're the same car....just....badged.....differently). *ahem*

Anyway, I have been enjoying Blops2 so far, and this review is actually pretty much how I feel about it as well. First time in a while I have read an escapist review and agreed with it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Phlakes said:
The only person I can stand at smosh is Mari. She's the only one who does not rely on random, shouty humour. I am never going to watch smosh gaming.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
bobmus said:
Snippedy-do-dah
I must ask, who or what is a SMOSH? =P

SkarKrow said:
Snippedy-ay
That's one thing I forgot to mention. The music, pretty much all round is fantastic. Yeah, there's the one Skrillex song, but besides that I pretty much love all of it. Especially Trent's theme.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
bobmus said:
Phlakes said:
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but Alloy Digital (who also own SMOSH) now own the Escapist.
Source: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/11/15/alloy-digital-acquires-escapist
Oh. Well that definitely explains it.

I still trust the Escapist people to be awesome like always, but that's a little worrying. Hopefully it ends up a good thing.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I am really enjoying the campaign so far, which is the first time since the original Modern Warfare.

In terms of multiplayer, I havent played a load of it yet, but it seems awesome so far. I haven't yet come across a bad map, which is good because this might have the best map list since MW1. MW2,3 and Blops 1 had a couple of really good maps, then a varying mix of shit and meh maps. Blops 1 probably had the second best compliment of maps, and MW3 the worst, but Blops 2 has me optimistic about it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
I enjoyed Modern Warfare 3, at least in its Multiplayer. I found it to be one of the most balanced of the CoD Game since 4, although 4 is nigh unplayable now due to hackers and glitchers.

Anyways, do you need to do the Strike Force Missions to get the Veteran Achievement?
It's not that I didn't enjoy Modern Warfare 3. In fact
Soap's death
was one of the more emotional moments I've had in gaming. I just didn't like it as much the other games. It wasn't helped by the "shock" moment they went for with the kid to go "Oooh controversy"

And I did enjoy the multiplayer as well, although again, not as much as other CoDs.

EDIT: Oh, and no, you don't need the Strike Force missions.