The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie - UPDATED

Hostess Brands, the company that makes the venerable Twinkie, is shutting down its operations - or perhaps not!

The cream-filled confection known as the Twinkie, often viewed as one of the few foodstuffs that could survive a nuclear (or zombie) holocaust unscathed, is facing an unexpected but no less devastating end: the bankruptcy of the company that makes it. Hostess announced today that it is seeking permission from a U.S. federal bankruptcy court to close down, a move which will cast nearly 18,500 people out of work.

The company blames a strike by The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, which represents around 5,000 Hostess employees, as the cause, saying it "does not have the financial resources to weather an extended national strike." The bakers went on strike over a new contract, recently accepted by the larger Teamsters union, which would leave employees with reduced wages and benefits. That deal came about after Hostess filed for bankruptcy protect in January, its second struggle with insolvency since 2004.

So how does a company that makes Twinkies, Ding-Dongs, Ho-Hos and Wonder Bread - the best-selling white bread in America, by the way - go bankrupt? It sounds like it could be an especially hard-nosed negotiating tactic, especially since Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn told CNBC that industry "overcapacity" means Hostess employees won't get their jobs back even though most Hostess brands will be picked up by other manufacturers as soon as they're available. But he also said that even if the bakers went back to work immediately, it's too late to change course on the shutdown.

Hostess can't begin liquidating its assets until the court gives it the green light, but all production of Hostess foods has ceased and no further deliveries will be made. Stores can sell what products they still have in stock, but the company said in a letter to its stores that it could provide no time frame for when the sell-off will take place and stock will become available again. I've always been more of a Ding-Dong man myself, but whatever your poison - Twinkies, Fruit Pies, Cupcakes or just enriched white bread, if that's how you roll - if you've got a thing for this stuff, you better haul it down to the local corner mart and stock up. This could get ugly in a hurry.

UPDATE: The Twinkie is saved! Or at least, it's not quite as dead as it appeared. The bankruptcy judge in the case declared that Hostess and the bakers' union have not yet undertaken the "critical step of mediation," and asked the lawyer for the union to request its participation. The company could still ultimately be liquidated, but it appears that the matter isn't quite as settled as Rayburn claimed.

Sources: New York Times [http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/index.html?hpt=hp_t1]

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009

Not my Chocodiles! That's it! Civilization is officially dead.

I know we'll see these again in one sense or another, I just wonder if it's going to be like New Coke or the reformulated Mars Bar. If Andy's right these guys are bastards for pulling this on striking workers.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Wow. That's too bad. I'm not a huge fan of the various sweets the company puts out, but I've always enjoyed the occasional ding dong.

I'm sure we'll be seeing these treats come back sooner or later, even if it's just the generic kind. They're simply too popular.

Oh, fun story. My grandpa buried a twinkie a while back, then several years later he went and unearthed it. It was still perfectly fine to eat :D

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Unions have their place, I'm more than willing to admit. But going on strike when the company is already under bankruptcy protection? HOW DID THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING? Oh, they have barely enough money coming in to function, let's fuck their revenue stream over! Did they think the slow collapse of the company in a bad economy was all just a very complex ruse to cut their wages?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Maybe they'd do better if they started putting pomegranate in twinkies

Seriously though, with all the profit & expansion of stores like Whole Foods & Trader Joe's, where did we think this money came from?

Sad. True. but I'd probably call it human progress

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Unions have their place, I'm more than willing to admit. But going on strike when the company is already under bankruptcy protection? HOW DID THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING? Oh, they have barely enough money coming in to function, let's fuck their revenue stream over! Did they think the slow collapse of the company in a bad economy was all just a very complex ruse to cut their wages?
Maybe if the execs took a pay cut instead of bonuses the union would be easier to negotiate with. Anyone remember when sony was showing some earnings losses and all the higher ups took a pay cut.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/06/27/sonys-welcome-for-new-ceo-forget-your-bonus-heres-a-pay-cut/

Maybe if more american companies followed suit they'd have better union relationships and stronger companies.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Bakers go on strike... my grandfather loses a job he's been at for almost twenty years as a security guard at a Wonder distribution center. Got to love how things work out.

Nuttydwarf

May 15, 2012
ouch, talk about a plan that backfires on them (the striking workers I mean). the only good thing I can think of about this is, we finally found something that Twinkies CAN'T survive.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Have to compliment you on your PERFECT choice of accompanying image!

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

It tools for thee, Twinkie.

Never tasted the stuff. Pretty sure noone sells that kind of stuff in sweden.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
NO! IS NOT POSSIBLE!

I was counting on Hostess to prevail, at least until society falls in on itself. It was part 7 in my 32 part plan to survive any apocalypse.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
I don't think there could've been a better picture for this article. Well played sir.