Hitman: Absolution May Require "Purchase" of Free Online Pass

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Hitman: Absolution May Require "Purchase" of Free Online Pass

If you don't live in North America, you'll need to jump through some hoops to play online.

With the advent of the pre-owned game market, developers have come up with a few tricks to stay profitable. One of the most common is the online pass, which provides the game creators with a few bucks even when someone buys their game used. Square Enix is continuing this strategy with Hitman: Absolution's multiplayer Contracts mode. Customers purchasing the retail version of the game will find a code to unlock this game mode for free, while those who get a pre-owned copy will have to buy it online ... for free.

North American players will find it easy to access Contracts - it's already there, unlocked from the start. Anyone in other regions will be restricted from playing the content without entering a code, which is included with boxed copies of the game. If you buy a used copy in any country, you'll have to download an online pass, which will be available gratis from the console's digital marketplace. In no scenario will players be forced to pay any additional money to access the game mode.

"We'd actually planned to have this mode accessible via a code in the game's box," says an official statement on the Hitman blog, "but we really want to make it available to anybody that plays the game - so we want to take a new approach."

"If you're in North America you'll see the mode automatically appear in the game menu. If you're elsewhere, you can redeem the code inside the box, or you can simply select the BUY CONTRACTS PASS option. From there, head to the store where CONTRACTS will be free to access."

With the game only days from launch, this is likely a last-minute decision. The end result is strangely obtuse: all the obstruction of DRM with none of the benefits to the developer or publisher. Still, it's a generous move from Square Enix, and it's nothing a post-release patch couldn't fix. We'll find out if it's worth the hassle when Hitman: Absolution hits shelves on November 20.

Source: Hitman Blog [http://hitmanabsolution.tumblr.com/post/35843717231/hitman-absolution-contracts-mode-free-for-everyone]

Apr 28, 2008
Cognimancer said:
"We'd actually planned to have this mode accessible via a code in the game's box," says an official statement on the Hitman blog, "but we really want to make it available to anybody that plays the game - so we want to take a new approach."
So by "new approach" he means "how it used to be?"

Works for me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
this policy seems strangely specific to non-NA regions

almost if it were some sort of trap

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I.. I don't understand,

They've implemented an online pass system that you have to input to play online, but the codes are completely free, and it doesn't have to be input with first-buy sales in North America.

No money is being moved about by anyone, it doesn't restrict or serve any purpose of supporting the multiplayer, so why does this exist. Say whaaaaaaaat?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
All of my curiosity for this game just diminished. Why exactly are they doing this?
To not piss off consumers? That seems as good an idea as any. :p

OT: Good to see they have changed their minds. A bit late, but any company that abandons anti-consumer policies gets an A in my book. :p

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
I.. I don't understand,

They've implemented an online pass system that you have to input to play online, but the codes are completely free, and it doesn't have to be input with first-buy sales in North America.

No money is being moved about by anyone, it doesn't restrict or serve any purpose of supporting the multiplayer, so why does this exist. Say whaaaaaaaat?
They probably originally planned on having on online pass system, but changed their minds really late in the game (so late, in fact, that the game had already shipped to retailers, codes and everything). :p

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
All of my curiosity for this game just diminished. Why exactly are they doing this?
Well it's obviously because they thought that they would have people who bought pre-owned pay extra for access to this content, but then at the last moment decided that they wanted everyone to have access to it, even if they bought a copy without the code.

I'm not entirely sure why you now need to donwload it, but only outside the US, though. But hey, they decided to go back to not having online passes, so it's a step forward( Backwards, really)

DVS BSTrD said:
Another blow in the war on used games.
A blow to who, exactly? I mean, Square are the ones that decided to do it, so it's not a blow against publishers, and it's not a blow against used game consumers because the decision has been made to give them stuff for free...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Someone didn't read the article it seems like.

"We decided not to do online pass, everyone gets the content." "ZOMGWTFBBQ?!"

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

I read it thoroughly enough, and I'm pissed off because they decided not to bother taking away the now utterly pointless DRM for anyone not in the US. So now if I wanted to play online after getting a pre owned copy I have to get the pass and enter the code, even if it is free it's still a pain and at this point COMPLETELY useless.

I'm really a bit sick of getting shafted because I don't live in the US. If they can make it all available in the US, why not anywhere else? Two steps back one step forward is still a move in the wrong direction.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Oh you almost had me there for a second, was a bit curious to be honest. Did not fit in with their recent way of doing things. Phew. Thought EA and Actiivision had been over for dinner and given off a few too many ideas.

Square Enix, at the moment, seem to be the closest we have to a big time industry paragon company. At least if you go by their buisness decisions, practices and communication with their actual consumers.

Even though I still feel like I am in an abusive marriage with Final Fantasy / Square, all power to them in all honesty, hope to see more of that kind of attitude in the future. Keep on the path you are currently on Square... do not start stumbleling now!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Frostbite3789 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

I read it thoroughly enough, and I'm pissed off because they decided not to bother taking away the now utterly pointless DRM for anyone not in the US. So now if I wanted to play online after getting a pre owned copy I have to get the pass and enter the code, even if it is free it's still a pain and at this point COMPLETELY useless.

I'm really a bit sick of getting shafted because I don't live in the US. If they can make it all available in the US, why not anywhere else? Two steps back one step forward is still a move in the wrong direction.
I know you're trying to aim at the principal of the thing, but if we don't consider the "principal of the matter", you're coming across as bizarrely spoiled and needlessly petty, and it's badly damaging your point.

Also, how is giving you something for free a step backwards at the cost of three minutes "one step forward and two steps back"?

Pick your battles.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Maybe it's an attempt to see how much this game is sold used outside of the US.

That is the only reason I would see for them to want foreigners to get an online pass for this.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Frostbite3789 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

I read it thoroughly enough, and I'm pissed off because they decided not to bother taking away the now utterly pointless DRM for anyone not in the US.
Well, it could be that the game was already sent to the manufacturers and out to stores when they changed their minds, meaning that they couldn't change any of the game's code to accommodate it. That might be a distinct possibility...