Get Some Free Games At GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Get Some Free Games At GOG

Want some free stuff for Christmas? Point yourself at Lure of the Temptress [http://www.gog.com].

Originally developed by Dave Gibbons [http://www.revolution.co.uk/].

"We're very happy that we've managed to get those two great classics before the holidays," said GOG.com Managing Director Adam Oldakowski. "The free games are a sort of 'thank you' to GOG.com users who have been supporting us since our beta launch. We like to get things for free as much as anyone else, and we think that these games represent great introductions to classic PC gaming and to the entire GOG.com experience."

For those who don't know, Good Old Games - also known as GOG.com - is an online service that sells older PC titles at remarkably cheap prices. (I'm not a shill, that's just how it is.) Games on GOG have been reworked to ensure ease of installation and compatibility with current Windows systems, and all titles are released DRM-free and with no limitations on the number of times they can be downloaded. The service went into gog.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86992-Good-Old-Games-Moves-To-Open-Beta].

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Nice, more point and click games to play after I complete the Monkey Island trilogy again. Good Old Games catalogue has vastly improved since I last checked it out. I think I'm going to have to drop £10 and grab Darkstar One and Jagged Alliance 2.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Beneath a Steel Sky has been free for a while, but Lure of the Temptress is a new one to me (the free part, not the game itself)

I wonder if this means that they'll run without the SCUMMVM that you used to need...

...looks like it!

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
GOG.com deserves credit! Their catalog gradually gets bigger while they also support pro-consumer ideals. :)

The only thing missing is "Planescape: Torment" =D

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
I want them to release Discworld Noir next, I loved that game and was sad when it wouldn't work on XP.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
If it wasn't for sites like GOG.com, I would never have heard of some of those games, like Darkstar One.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
calelogan said:
GOG.com deserves credit! Their catalog gradually gets bigger while they also support pro-consumer ideals. :)

The only thing missing is "Planescape: Torment" =D
People have been saying that one for a while, but they are having trouble getting the license for it. Planescape is no longer a supported setting, and Wizards refuses to license products from discontinued lines. Here is to hoping that BG, IWD, and PST all manage to get added in, though. It would make the site a meca for retro RPG lovers.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
GOG.com is wonderful :) Although I already have both of those games (I even have three copies of BaSS -- floppy disk, CD, and downloadable; one of the few games I've purchased multiple times, because it's just brilliant).

I'd love to see PS:T get on there too, so I could point people at it. (I was lucky enough to find a copy on Amazon.com zShops a few years back for a not-unreasonable price.)