THQ Dodges Credit Default But Loses Chief Financial Officer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Dodges Credit Default But Loses Chief Financial Officer

The latest news to come out of THQ is a little bit good, and a little bit bad.

THQ announced today that it has entered into a "forbearance agreement" with Wells Fargo Capital Finance, under which Wells Fargo has agreed to put off "exercising its rights and remedies against THQ and its subsidiaries with respect to previous events of default under its credit facility." That mouthful of fun relates to an SEC filing earlier this month in which THQ revealed that it had defaulted on its credit facility, leading to negotiations between the two companies which ultimately culminated in a decision by Wells Fargo to not drop the hammer. The deal extends to January 15, 2013, during which time Wells Fargo will make further loans, "subject to the terms and conditions of the forbearance agreement," to help keep the lights on at THQ.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement with Wells Fargo. This agreement enables us to continue focusing on bringing our games in development to market," THQ Chair and CEO Brian Farrell said in a statement. "Meanwhile, we are evaluating financial alternatives that will transition the company into its next phase."

That's the good news. The bad news is that Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Paul Pucino has left the building, which I don't think is ever a good sign for companies struggling to avoid financial collapse. "We would like to thank Paul for his significant contributions over the past four years and wish him well in his future endeavors," Farrell said. THQ is now considering replacements, and in the meantime has hired a consulting firm to step into the breach.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
At this point and time, I'd say that THQ is close to going away. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst type of scenario.

And sadly, THQ is really one of the better publishers in regards to treating its customers. I am peeved that they did the EA situation by making SR3 unplayable multiplayer wise unless you buy it, but for a financially ruined company it's understandable. And really, the games right now THQ are doing need to come out within the next two months for them to survive it seems.

If THQ goes, then we'll be stuck with just crappy publishers as who we get our games from. And I will not like that one bit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I now have a mad urge to invest $500 in THQ stock, because they're updates are so brutal that I can see them actually recovering. No risk, no reward, you know?

It's fairly depressing to watch, though. They aren't being dragged through the mud at this point, they have BECOME mud.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
For the love of god, whatever happens, just finish the South Park game first!

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
LordOfInsanity said:
At this point and time, I'd say that THQ is close to going away. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst type of scenario.

And sadly, THQ is really one of the better publishers in regards to treating its customers. I am peeved that they did the EA situation by making SR3 unplayable multiplayer wise unless you buy it, but for a financially ruined company it's understandable. And really, the games right now THQ are doing need to come out within the next two months for them to survive it seems.

If THQ goes, then we'll be stuck with just crappy publishers as who we get our games from. And I will not like that one bit.
I respectfully disagree on THQ treating its customers well since it started the online pass junk we have to deal with for majority of games now. I'm glad to see that karma has rewarded all the BS they pushed on gamers.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hang in there THQ, you need to release Company of Heroes 2 and return the franchise to its former glory.
GAunderrated said:
I respectfully disagree on THQ treating its customers well since it started the online pass junk we have to deal with for majority of games now. I'm glad to see that karma has rewarded all the BS they pushed on gamers.
Having policies you disagree with doesn't warrant a company's shutdown. Hell, maybe THQ needs the online passes because of its financial situation.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Nouw said:
Hang in there THQ, you need to release Company of Heroes 2 and return the franchise to its former glory.
GAunderrated said:
Having policies you disagree with doesn't warrant a company's shutdown. Hell, maybe THQ needs the online passes because of its financial situation.
Actually having policies that I don't agree with as a customer is a great reason for a bad company to shutdown. Make bad policies, have angry customers, lose support, go bankrupt. Seems like a pretty straightforward pattern to me. I will feel bad for all the workers who will lose their jobs but I can't help but feel this is karmic payback.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I sincerely hope they turn things around; I want to see Vigil wrap up the Darksiders story. Is Jason Rubin still on board? That's one man who should know how to run a successful game company.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
GAunderrated said:
Actually having policies that I don't agree with as a customer is a great reason for a bad company to shutdown. Make bad policies, have angry customers, lose support, go bankrupt. Seems like a pretty straightforward pattern to me. I will feel bad for all the workers who will lose their jobs but I can't help but feel this is karmic payback.
Perhaps so, but in this context I don't think it is reason enough.

Online passes weren't something people most people found terrible enough to warrant a company's shut down. THQ could actually justify having them, because of their financial situation. I just don't think online passes are big of a deal enough for enough people for it to be the reason for a company's failure.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
lacktheknack said:
I now have a mad urge to invest $500 in THQ stock, because they're updates are so brutal that I can see them actually recovering. No risk, no reward, you know?

It's fairly depressing to watch, though. They aren't being dragged through the mud at this point, they have BECOME mud.
Call options. Best money you'll ever make.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
acosn said:
As long as company of heroes 2 ships....
Add in Metro: Last Light as well for me.

Out of all the releases next year 3/4 of the ones I want are from THQ.

I hope they can at least get them out before going down.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Ed130 said:
-Dragmire- said:
acosn said:
Add in Metro: Last Light as well for me.

Out of all the releases next year 3/4 of the ones I want are from THQ.

I hope they can at least get them out before going down.
Yep. That's my top 2 games I'm looking forward to in CoH2 and Metro: LL hanging in the balance. I'm doubtful as to whether they'll be out though. They wouldn't be so worried if they had a chance of a release, which would presumably boost their stock.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
THQ seems to be doing DIFFERENT games, all i see these days is CoD, Halo, MW, BF BOOOOORRRD OF that crap. THQ upcoming games are what im wanting. Company of Heroes 2, South Park, Metro, And hoopfully Dawn of War 3. Who the hell else has such a interested mixed genre of great looking games coming out ? No one, they are all too busy milking there popular games.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
acosn said:
yeah, this is starting to sound like a Mass Effect 3 style "desperate holdout" for that game to come and swoop in and save their asses.

Godspeed THQ. if i had any money to give you, it would be in your pockets yestserday

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Damn, they have three games in the works and I have fully plans on buying all three. But, since Wells Fargo decided to not exercise their rights, I'm hoping this means they are going to be lent more money to stay afloat. On the other hand, Wells Fargo could wait till the games come out and start exercising those rights. They are some of the biggest vultures around when it comes to circling something that's about to die.