US 2012 Games Market Hits $21.9 Billion

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
US 2012 Games Market Hits $21.9 Billion

Though US gamers are spending a lot more time at play, Newzoo claims they aren't spending as much cash as you'd think.

Market researcher Newzoo has posted data on the games industry in the US and elsewhere and it claims that in 2012 there has been 1% growth in the number of players in the US, kicking the market up to $21.9 billion in sales.

"Of the 157 million US gamers," Newzoo claims, "86 million spend money on games." Or about 55% of the total, which means that although the number of people playing - and devices they're playing on - has gone up substantially, the amount spent per customer has remained broadly the same as before.

Time spent on games has gone up by 26% in the US, and 33% more players spend money on games than before. But the thing to bear in mind is, although the PC still ranks as top dog overall, there are more ways to play these days, and the real uptick has been in mobile device gaming. These are the players who make up a good chunk of that that 26%, and not all of them splash out on DLC, or spend money on the freemium titles they download.

Newzoo CEO Peter Warman considers this a cause for optimism. "The best news this year is that 24 million Americans are spending money on games for the first time," he said. "They are drawn in by smartphone and tablet games in combination with the free-to-play business model."

"Future growth in the US will come from this group as their average spending rises," Warman added.

Newzoo is a Netherlands-based marketing research firm focused entirely on the gaming industry. It analyzes data for app sales, MMO market trends, and country specific market data, among other fields.

Source: Newzoo [http://www.newzoo.com/news/us-games-market-grows-1-to-21-9-billion-in-2012/]

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
They could get more money if they stopped treating us like criminals... But I like the fact that gaming is turning into something that everyone can enjoy, whether it be mobile fun or PC goodiness. :-D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thesilentman said:
They could get more money if they stopped treating us like criminals...
Good luck convincing them of that, though.

Still, 22 billion is damn good. Kind of funny how hard they claim they have it.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I always thought "hitting" a number had to do with some landmark figure, you know, a round number; as it implies some degree of "accuracy".

Guess I was wrong.

Also: What would be more useful is the figure of how the "volume of market : total project cost (development+marketing+distribution)" ratio has changed. That's the one that really tells you how healthy the industry is.

Jan 22, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I would have gotten away with even more if it hadn't been for those meddling pirates!

All joking aside this really is good thing for industry and I hope game companies will just shut up already about piracy and pre-owned games.

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I would have gotten away with even more if it hadn't been for those meddling pirates!

All joking aside this really is good thing for industry and I hope game companies will just shut up already about piracy and pre-owned games.
It is a very good thing the game industry is making a good chunk of change now-a-days but will this change the attitudes of the major publishers?
Nope
To a public company (which most major publishers are) it is just profits, profits, and profits. $20 odd billion dollars will still never be enough.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
Also: What would be more useful is the figure of how the "volume of market : total project cost (development+marketing+distribution)" ratio has changed. That's the one that really tells you how healthy the industry is.
^Exactly that.
And that's the sort of number they will keep close to their vest.
Everytime a company breaks one of those milestones, they'll brag.
But they won't tell you the half of it under any other circumstances; gotta keep their competition in the dark.

I suspect the AAA game industry as a whole is floundering under their costs and shrinking (or is highly polarized, with the winners winning big while the losers losing big), while the rest of the market is propping that number up.

Captcha: Same ad twice in a row. Can we go for three? Can this combo of stupid continue?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
FelixG said:
22 billion you say?

THey can just fuck off the next time they whine about pirates and used gamers
My thoughts exactly, though I'm sure there's someone at every company right now figuring up how much piracy and buying used "cost" them in 2012 so they can cry about how little money they're making compared to what they theoretically could have. Lets ignore how much money they flush down the toilet on over-the-top advertising and making sure every hair on Master Chief's ball sac rendered in top quality graphics, its everyone else's fault that they industry "Only" made $22,000,000,000 this year.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Sylveria said:
FelixG said:
22 billion you say?

THey can just fuck off the next time they whine about pirates and used gamers
My thoughts exactly, though I'm sure there's someone at every company right now figuring up how much piracy and buying used "cost" them in 2012 so they can cry about how little money they're making compared to what they theoretically could have. Lets ignore how much money they flush down the toilet on over-the-top advertising and making sure every hair on Master Chief's ball sac rendered in top quality graphics, its everyone else's fault that they industry "Only" made $22,000,000,000 this year.
What gets me is for the last several months in a row, we've had articles about how sales are down compared to this time last year. So which is it? Are sales down, or are they up?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So rich greedy people are rich and greedy. nothing has changed. And they will never stop complaining about not being able to take a bath in cash and just throw them all away because thier "used" now.