Google Rallies Opposition to U.N. Internet Treaty

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Google Rallies Opposition to U.N. Internet Treaty

Google is speaking out against a U.N. initiative that it claims is a threat to a "free and open internet."

The internet works pretty well, all things considered, but governments from around the world are set to make some potentially big changes to its technical specifications and domain name system in December, under the auspices of the U.N.'s International Telecommunication Union. The ITU says the new treaty is required to ensure "the free flow of information around the world, promoting affordable and equitable access for all and laying the foundation for ongoing innovation and market growth."

It sounds good, but Google is nonetheless firmly against the idea and has launched a "Take Action" site, asking its users to speak out against the treaty. It says that by wresting control of the internet from U.S. companies and handing them over to an agency whose members include censorious regimes like China and Iran, the new treaty could end up stifling freedom of expression and growth of the net.

"Not all governments support the free and open internet. There is a growing backlash on internet freedom. Forty-two countries filter and censor content," the site says. "In just the last two years, governments have enacted 19 new laws threatening online free expression."

The ITU hasn't revealed the details of the proposed new agreement but WCITleaks [http://wcitleaks.org/] has lifted the veil on some of them, including a Russian proposal that "member states have equal rights to manage the internet, including in regard to the allotment, assignment and reclamation of internet numbering, naming, addressing and identification resources and to support for the operation and development of basic internet infrastructure." News service Russia Today reported that China and India support the Russian opinion that the ITU could assume greater control of the internet, while the U.S. representative has expressed support for existing institutions, saying in August that they "have functioned effectively and will continue to ensure the health and growth of the internet and all its benefits."

ITU Secretary General Dr. Hamadoun Toure said he would "try to avoid" resolving disagreements at the December meeting with a majority vote, "because voting means winners and losers and you can't afford that." But University of Surrey Professor Alan Woodward said that approach carries with it the risk of "splintering the internet" if settlements can't be reached.

"Some countries including Russia already restrict which sites can be accessed, but if people start going off and doing their own things in term of naming conventions and net addresses you could end up with different parts of the internet being unable to send traffic to each other," he said. "It would be the online equivalent of not being able to make a telephone call from one nation to another."

Google says it's not trying to shut out regulatory agencies, it just wants to ensure an "open and inclusive" process for the future. "Governments alone should not determine the future of the internet. The billions of people around the globe that use the internet, and the experts that build and maintain it, should be included," it wrote. "For example, at the Internet Governance Forum, anyone can attend and anyone can speak - a government official has the same influence as an individual."

The International Telecommunication Union conference runs from December 3-14 in Dubai.

Source: Google [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20429625#]

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
Let's focus here.

TV & Radio where intended as a mean to educate and inform the masses. Then it started being used for propaganda. And now, we have entertainment. Ads and reality TV. That's why I don't have cable anymore.

The Net is not just for kitten videos and p0rn. It's a tool of communication.
(The medias are evolving but people don't apparently). More than those arguments are going to be required if we want to have a say...

They're tackling the matter as a way to secure the damn thing. Nomenclature, rating -dammit- LAWS & REGULATiONS. It all comes down to making access to the internet safe. Manageable. Something that should have been done 10+ years ago.

For the love: they invented cars over a century ago. Look at how people are driving ;(

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Everyone who has an interest in a free internet, please sign the petition, and tell your friends. It will help raise awareness that this is going on & if enough people sign it might cause the UN to think twice.

If they do actually implement some of these suggestions (long-distance tolls like we have for international calls) it will send the internet back to the 80's/90's, where everyone hung out on local BBSs. This is not an option...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What we need are international standards for internet numbering, naming, addressing and identification resources, which I thought we already had. We don't need bureaucrats who don't know anything about this stuff interfering.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
With how people act on the internet, I'm starting to think it's worth doing.

Hopefully it'll never be as draconian as SOPA.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Man I almost wrote this huge rant out...but I support what Google is doing.

Countries will do anything to shut people up who question them.
Probably Google also wants to give other nations the figure (China) after getting hacked.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
The Internet is a work of art (how I look at it) that spans the entire world. Taking that away is going to be a major, major travesty to all of us. I'm with Google on this one; even though we have sites like 4chan and YouTube, there's enough positivity and good things that make the Internet worth its place in the world today and the future.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
I don't know why governments can't leave the internet alone.
I suppose fear is the most rational answer I can find.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
as much as I don't like google...I still think that having russia/china/etc. even partly in control is a greater evil than the company that just tries to spam us to death.

ETERNAL-chaplain said:
I suppose fear is the most rational answer I can find.
well, fear (mostly of losing control) is one of the biggest factors when it comes to grand-scale political decisions : D

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
What we need are international standards for internet numbering, naming, addressing and identification resources, which I thought we already had. We don't need bureaucrats who don't know anything about this stuff interfering.
AGREED! It's not the if/when, it's the HOW.

The ITU needs the people's input -they just don't know it yet. Or they don't care.
The real issue is how people manifest their concern. I' m pretty sure no one on this forum is going to show up in Dubai.
And world representatives are NOT going to listen to every unarticulated rage-fest on YouTube.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Usually i would support shifting control over the internet to an objective, unbiased international body. In principle, it's not a good idea letting one country (the USA) command so much influence over what goes through the internet. At the moment the USA is generally committed to promoting free speech on the internet, but in the long run that may change.

But we don't want a UN Treaty on global internet use that helps countries like Russia and China to censor internet content. We want a treaty which truly reflects the values of the UN's Deceleration of Human Rights. The trouble is the UN is a body largely controlled by the whims and interests of the nation states that control it (i.s- the security council) so unless that changes i wouldn't trust the UN with the internet.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
samahain said:
canadamus_prime said:
AGREED! It's not the if/when, it's the HOW.

The ITU needs the people's input -they just don't know it yet. Or they don't care.
The real issue is how people manifest their concern. I' m pretty sure no one on this forum is going to show up in Dubai.
And world representatives are NOT going to listen to every unarticulated rage-fest on YouTube.
Certainly not. In fact all that unarticulated raging is only going to make them want to clamp down harder.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Kneejerk reaction: DON'T TOUCH MY INTERNET!!!! D<

Read article: FUCK, DON'T LET RUSSIA OR CHINA TOUCH MY INTERNET! D:

Is the internet broken? Do we really need to let government people try and tinker with it?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I support Google on this one.
The internet has been fine the way it is handled now, we don't need changes, probably some improvements , but not changes.
ESPECIALLY not if that's giving part of the power to China and Russia who are very well much opposed to the freedome of speech.

God...Govs, please fucking stop trying to censor the internet, you are not the La Li Lu Le Lo, YOU ARE GOVERMENTS, FOCUS ON THINGS THAT MATTER MORE TO YOUR PEOPLE NOT TO YOUR OWN POWER YOU POWER HUNGRY EVIL MOTHERR.... GRrrrrr.....

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
The way im reading this companies like Google have a lot to lose over this. They have invested so much in infrastructure to provide these services and strive to improve them. No government should come in and impose rules and guidelines that turn this into a bureaucratic nightmare.