Hideo Kojima Talks Metal Gear iPhone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Hideo Kojima Talks Metal Gear iPhone

The goal of the touch-screen-based shooter is to create a "simple MGS" to get people interested in the series proper, Kojima says.

If you were already disappointed by Konami's Snake's Crossbow Training [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88209-Next-Metal-Gear-Solid-is-for-iPhone][/I], you could call it.

It wasn't always meant to be this way, however. Kojima Productions' original plan was to release a stealth-based game on the iPhone, but they realized that might be too overwhelming for the first-time players they were hoping to win over on the platform. So they dialed it down a notch. "It's a little much to ask of someone trying our games for the first time," Kojima told [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171942] Famitsu. "That's why we made it a simple touch-screen shooting game."

Simple won't necessarily mean boring, however, according to the staff of MGST. "Regular game machines have directional pads and buttons that you assign functions to, but having nothing but a touch screen for control actually offers a lot of new things to try," Yasuyo Watanabe, creative producer for MGST, said.

Ultimately, the goal of the product, in addition to getting a feel for a platform hailed as the future of gaming [http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/12/apple-the-iphone-is-a-gaming-console/] by its creators, is to get those not-so-hardcore first-timers interested in the more serious Metal Gear games, and games in general. "This game really is nothing more than an entrance for us," Kojima said. "I'd like people unfamililar with MGS to play it, and maybe develop an interest in MGS4 in the process - and if they if they foster a general interest in games from there, it'd make me all the happier."

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Just seems like a way to squeeze out a little more money from the masses.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jeez, you guys are getting your nickers in a twist waaaayyy to much.

Did you really expect this new MGS to be just like the others? Let alone when it was announced for the iPhone.

I don't have an iPhone, but it could be decent, for a phone game anyways.

Dec 18, 2008
man this sucks that Hideo Kojima is such a dickhead screwin with people by showing green colored sybols and then saying its actually for the iphone i bet its gonna suck like metal gear acid does on the psp.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
No stealth? Then I do not care at all, because this game is not Metal gear solid.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Dechef said:
No stealth? Then I do not care at all, because this game is not Metal gear solid.
And you call the rail shooter sections what? If anything, this is pretty much just making a whole game out of those sections, and removing that pesky no-kill rule that plagues them. Whats everyones problem with that?
...What are you talking about? I have no problem with 'rail- shooter sections', what ever that may be? I was just pointing out that, Kojima says he's mostly doing this to get people interested in MGS, but with no stealth at all it's not really Metal gear solid.

laryri

May 19, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
A part of me thinks Kojima may have made this just to piss off Microsoft.
Hey Xbox owners! What's this? Is it MGS for the 360? Is it? Is it? Ahhh no, it's a shooting gallery for the iPhone. We got ya!

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
A part of me thinks Kojima may have made this just to piss off kids on the Internet.
Fixed. Accomplished.

*Goes back to playing Rolando [http://kotaku.com/5113179/iphone-explodes-with-joy-over-rolando]*

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm a bit curious as to his approach in getting new people interested in the franchise...
Problem: We need more people to buy Metal Gear Games.
Solution: We make an iPhone game.
I'm sorry but how many rabid fans (I'm not talking about the idiots who just want MGS on the 360 just to laugh @ PS3 fans, I'm talking about people who played MGS 1, 2, 3 etc; but don't want to shell out the money for a whole new system just for that game.) on other systems want this game?
Wouldn't the logical conclusion be to tap that market instead of the 'potential gamer' market?
[Yes I know that it has been claimed to be impossible to create MGS4 on other system without a stupid amount of disks and what not, but I'm sure where there is a will (and by will I mean tons of money) there is a way.]
I'd be interested if there is a significant number of people who will buy this game never have played MGS before and be compelled to shell out the cash for the PS3 and MGS4.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Jared Rea said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
A part of me thinks Kojima may have made this just to piss off kids on the Internet.
Fixed. Accomplished.

*Goes back to playing Rolando [http://kotaku.com/5113179/iphone-explodes-with-joy-over-rolando]*
It's out?

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
hehehehehehehehehehe no mgs for the xbox heheehehe
and the Iphone its not a good gaming system i know how its feel and its not that fun to play and if the game is 60$ i wont buy it maybe for 20$ but that's not going to happen or is it?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
milomalo said:
hehehehehehehehehehe no mgs for the xbox heheehehe
and the Iphone its not a good gaming system i know how its feel and its not that fun to play and if the game is 60$ i wont buy it maybe for 20$ but that's not going to happen or is it?
The iPhone is not a gaming system period.

Although it does have shovelware that would make the Atari 2600, the NES, and the PS1 collectively blush.