Creator Confirms No Multiplayer In Bioshock: Infinite

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Creator Confirms No Multiplayer In Bioshock: Infinite

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/272915149940219907 align=right]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/272916384609099776 align=right]

Irrational Games' Ken Levine went on a Twitter binge, letting Bioshock: Infinite secrets slip.

It was one of the more controversial features of Bioshock 2, and Irrational Games' Ken Levine has confirmed that his studio isn't putting it into Bioshock: Infinite. Multiplayer won't be part of your Columbia adventure, and Levine has also let slip one or two other Bioshock: Infinite secrets.

The reveal came as part of a Twitter binge, in which Levine started answering fans' questions about the upcoming alternate history adventure. Would there be a digital release for PSN and XBLA on day one? "I don't know," Levine answered. "I hope so." Would gamers be able to play as Elizabeth in any part of the game? "You don't play as her," Levine replied, "just BFF Booker." Would there be audio diaries? "Audio and much more," Levine Tweeted.

Finally, how would Levine respond to the allegation that many of his Tweets had been deliberately evasive? "Evasively," was his reply.

Bioshock: Infinite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6439-BioShock-Infinite-Beast-of-America-Trailer], the latest entrant to the Bioshock franchise, has the player - as former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt- invade a floating city, to rescue Elizabeth. Thus Booker unknowingly steps into the heart of Columbia's civil war, and finds himself targeted by all sides as he tries to carry out his task. The game's due out in February 2013 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/IGLevine]

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
It's great to see developers avoiding the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to development which has caused nothing but higher production costs and lower quality.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I rather liked Bioshock 2's multiplayer but I can respect the decision not to have it nonetheless.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Fucking hell I am so on the Bioshock: Infinite boat now, I was so sure they will push some crapy multi in it.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
hurray for a shooter developer with some balls, no multiplayer = good. however, its a shame we cant play as elizabeth, i always enjoy games that switch up the gameplay (like playing as ashley in RE4)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
For the amount of time they've spent on this game, it had better be well worth full price. As much as I hate shoehorned features, I would have thought they might have added a little more than just single player.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this game, probably wait until I see some reviews. Good writing and characters, and I'll most likely open the wallet.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I actually enjoyed the multi player in Bioshock 2, it was hectic and fun but I hear it took alot of resources away from the single player which really annoyed me. If the storys as good as im hoping it is then I couldn't give a fudge if theres no multi player.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Thank you, Ken. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

I'd much rather play a lovingly crafted single-player experience (length isn't even a deciding factor for me) than a middling entry in the genre that has multi because, d'hoy, all the cool cats have multi.

Depth is what the average PC gamer wants. Multiplayer is nice, but if it comes at a cost and that cost impacts the narrative; then forget it. I bought Mass Effect 3, sure, but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I consider plunking some time into the multiplayer segment.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Zombine3D said:
Wow! This is great! Now we need more games without mp. The devs of Spec Ops were right - it's a canser on the singleplayer.
All hail common sence!
Not all multiplayer is a cancer, but it damn sure would be for Bioshock

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
What? That sound? It's like a choir of angels descending from heaven singing commercial jingles!

NO MULTIPLAYER!!!

HURRAY!!!

I guess they did learn from Bioshock 2.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
This pleases me. I like 2K a lot as a publisher. While MP would give the game some longevity, I'm glad they still let their devs do fuller single player games.