The Walking Dead Creator Tells Tales About Telltale

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Walking Dead Creator Tells Tales About Telltale

You can blame Strong Bad for Telltale's The Walking Dead, according to Robert Kirkman.

In the wake of last week's conclusion to Telltale Games' zombie epic - and no, there shall be no spoilers here - Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead graphic series, decided to spill the occasional bean about his collaboration with the game maker.

According to Kirkman, we can blame Strong Bad [http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad] for Telltale's adaptation. "I played [Telltale's] Strong Bad game," Kirkman said. "I like their approach to puzzle-based storytelling. I thought they were more focused on telling a good story, and I thought they were good at engaging the player in the narrative." It was Telltale's revelation that the game would focus on the players making choices between two bad decisions that sold Kirkman on Telltale.

Kirkman hasn't been as hands-on with the game maker as he has with the television show. "I've been kind of the godfather," Kirkman claims, adding that, as he isn't a game maker and doesn't understand that world, he didn't want to meddle too much in what was clearly Telltale's area of expertise.

"I'm impressed with the brilliant storytelling and with how good this game has turned out," Kirkman said, "which is really a testament to how talented their writers are." Writers who gave us Episode 5, and that final scene; or the moment with Kenny and Katjaa in Long Road Ahead; or ... but you get the idea. Here's hoping Season Two [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118317-TellTale-Games-Planning-The-Walking-Dead-Season-Two] isn't that far away!

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/11/26/lord-of-the-dead-an-interview-with-robert-kirkman.aspx]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
What a guy. "I'll do what I'm good at, and let them do what they're good at".

If only more creators were as open minded.

[sub]Man I really need to start watching this series[/sub]

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
The game truly is brilliantly done.

Though I am a big fan of point&click adventure, most of my freinds are not. (quick action junkies)
It was surprising to find how much they fell in love with the game, pace and all.
And the story, though I have yet to finish the final episode, is incredibly heart wrenching.

Can't wait to finish, and for a second season :)

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I used to watch Homestar Runner a bunch when I was in school, and my interest just dropped off right when they announced the game (unrelated). It might be worth playing, but I'm sure I'd have to go through a backlog a bit on that crazy website to get half of what's going on in the game.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The next story about Telltale better say that they have bought all of Humongous Entertainment's old IPs from Atari and they're making a new Pajama Sam. It's the company's destiny, they just don't realize it yet.

P.S. Thanks

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ya know. Its tellin that the game, which had very little oversight from the original creator, is far and away better than the television show that he apparently is all up in.

Hey. Maybe he should take a cue from that and step away from the TV show so it can stop bein awful?

Then again, that's not a terribly fair comparison. The game is a completely separate narrative with only minor crossovers with characters so the writers of the game could just do whatever the hell they wanted while the writers of the show are basically trapped behind the original narrative.

Either way I love this game.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Well if the show and his involvement on it are any indication, he seems to have little to no respect for his own work. So it's probably better he stays away.
"Respect for his own work"? It's his work! He can do what he likes with it.

Complaining is all well and good, but I don't see how he's disrespecting his own creation by adapting it.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Mcoffey said:
SonicWaffle said:
Mcoffey said:
Well if the show and his involvement on it are any indication, he seems to have little to no respect for his own work. So it's probably better he stays away.
"Respect for his own work"? It's his work! He can do what he likes with it.

Complaining is all well and good, but I don't see how he's disrespecting his own creation by adapting it.
The way he shits on his own plots and continuity in every episode seems to indicate he doesn't like it much. It's one thing to adapt it, it's another to take the names and few locations and basically whore out the branding.
Man. You must hate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
What a guy. "I'll do what I'm good at, and let them do what they're good at".

If only more creators were as open minded.

[sub]Man I really need to start watching this series[/sub]
You and me both on both parts. I need to play the game still.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Because playing around with recognizable characters, themes, and environments is more fun than telling the same story twice?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I finished this game today.

It was a truly amazing piece of story telling, whilst I didn't like how the game handled it's own playability (sometimes it was hard to tell between cut scene and action) I couldn't knock the characters, their interaction and the games story.
Honestly, I'm a manly man but I bawled my fucking eyes out at parts.

Not even afraid to admit that.

Fuck you Telltale for making me cry and thanks for making a truly awesome game

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
The Crotch said:
Because playing around with recognizable characters, themes, and environments is more fun than telling the same story twice?
Plus, it keeps you on your toes. If you're reading one, while watching the other, you have an idea to themes, but who lives, who dies, and what happens, is a mystery.