Vita Gets Bundled With PlayStation Plus

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Vita Gets Bundled With PlayStation Plus

Sony's new holiday season Vita bundle is big on games, short on memory.

To promote the release of PlayStation Plus on the Vita (and hopefully generate some sales for the languishing handheld), Sony is offering a new bundle starting next week. For $299, you can pick up a 3G/Wi-Fi model, one year of PlayStation Plus, a voucher for Unit 13, and a 4GB memory card. As Sony brags on the PlayStation Blog, that's a savings of "over $99."

Of course, that figure doesn't include all of the free and discounted Vita games available for Playstation Plus, which launched on the handheld last week. Considering the service lets users download games like Wipeout 2048 and Gravity Rush for free, that's a pretty good incentive to pick up this bundle. Unfortunately, you won't be able to fit too many of those games on the laughable 4GB memory card.

The overpriced proprietary memory cards have been one of the biggest complaints about the Vita since its launch earlier this year. While this bundle has a lot to offer, it ignores the fact that anyone who buys it will probably still have to pick up a bigger memory card, which can add up to another $100 to the total. That said, it's still a pretty good deal if you were hoping to pick up a Vita this holiday season. You can find it in stores next week.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/29/new-ps-vita-ps-plus-bundle-available-next-week/]

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I wish you guys would do actual research before claiming that a memory card can cost you up to 100 bucks.
Really? NO.
The most you would need feasibly would be around 16 gigs and you can grab one for around 50 bucks most places. Yes its a bit expensive, but don't bother slandering a console so poorly.

Plus you can dig up an 8 gig for around 30 bucks online, so if you need space that badly, buy 2.

Yes, the 32 gig card is around 96.00 but if you have that kind of disposable income, why not just wait for the inevitable 64 gig card?

And a 4 gig card can hold quite a bit. Mine held Virtua Tennis 4, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and the game install files for Ragnarok Odyssey.

Sources:

16 gig for 50: http://buysprystore.store.buy.com/p/16gb-playstation-vita-memory-card/227807170.html

8 Gig for 30: http://www.buy.com/prod/8gb-playstation-vita-memory-card/227807168.html?listingId=-1

Please fact check these articles before making ludicrous claims.

EDIT:
After doing some basic checking:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

Still have about a gig free on the retail 4gb card.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
I wish you guys would do actual research before claiming that a memory card can cost you up to 100 bucks.
Really? NO.
The most you would need feasibly would be around 16 gigs and you can grab one for around 50 bucks most places. Yes its a bit expensive, but don't bother slandering a console so poorly.

Plus you can dig up an 8 gig for around 30 bucks online, so if you need space that badly, buy 2.

Yes, the 32 gig card is around 96.00 but if you have that kind of disposable income, why not just wait for the inevitable 64 gig card?

And a 4 gig card can hold quite a bit. Mine held Virtua Tennis 4, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and the game install files for Ragnarok Odyssey.

Sources:

16 gig for 50: http://buysprystore.store.buy.com/p/16gb-playstation-vita-memory-card/227807170.html

8 Gig for 30: http://www.buy.com/prod/8gb-playstation-vita-memory-card/227807168.html?listingId=-1

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

2.53 Gigs for the free games that one may not want.

That leaves only 1.47-ish Gigs left. Now, what if someone wants to get the games they actually want? They will run out of space very quickly. Back on my PSP I have VERY little room on any of my Memory Cards (generally 200 kb each) and they are 3 16 GB each when empty.

The Memory cards have always been expensive and by the time you spent the money to get a useable Memory card you will have spent well over 350 bucks on this bundle which is still overpriced. 4 Gigs is not usable in our current time unless you do not plan on getting more than a handful of games over the course of the handheld's existence. They need to drop the price on those Memory Units if they want a chance in hell to stay competitive.
I agree, and i'm sure once more Sony devices are released that are compatible, they will drop the price. (It happened with the psp memory cards. Plus if you went with a non-sony brand, you could get a ton of memory for incredibly cheap) However my main issue with this article was the blatant ignorance of facts. I was merely displaying actual facts.

Are the memory cards expensive? Absolutely.

But to claim that a new memory card could cost you up to 100 bucks is ridiculous. Yes, they offer 100 dollar cards, but i had to dig hard to even find one that was 100 bucks. And a 40 to 50 dollar card is perfect for the Vita. That's all i'm pointing out.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

hehe. You called the vita a console. Silly billy, its a handheld.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Darmy647 said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

My bad. I meant handheld. Sorry for the typo.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Kyr Knightbane said:
Darmy647 said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

I dont think its a bad handheld myself really. I just have so many games on my DS and 3ds. Im going to be busy for a while. But it has caught my eye with Hells Souls and EDF. We'll see, i really will give it a chance in my eye. In fact i would have a vita, but you know...Monster Hunter 3 ultimate coming to 3ds. Monster hunter takes priority over Everything.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Darmy647 said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Darmy647 said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

I dont think its a bad handheld myself really. I just have so many games on my DS and 3ds. Im going to be busy for a while. But it has caught my eye with Hells Souls and EDF. We'll see, i really will give it a chance in my eye. In fact i would have a vita, but you know...Monster Hunter 3 ultimate coming to 3ds. Monster hunter takes priority over Everything.
Ragnarok Odyssey is actually a decent game on the Vita. I just think Sony needs to contact the publishers in japan and bring over some of the really good games for it. The PsP suffered from a lack of good games and was used for ports and un-inspired Knock-offs of games that needn't have been put on it. For instance the Ys game on the vita is gorgeous. But so far, no localization is planned.

Also if the States gets Tales Of Innocence R, that could boost it as well.

However, CoD: Declassified was absolute garbage. The publisher just wanted to cash in on the idea and failed. The Vita could do well as a FPS handheld and if people would actually try and build a game for it, it would do great. I think the publishers of Coded Arms need a shot. Those were AMAZING psp shooters. They could do really well.

Also i think that Atlus needs to work hard on getting a bite-sized or a full sized Demon or Dark Souls-esque game. That would make it a must have for fans of both titles. Plus it would give them a definite egde in the Handheld market. Even if they started a rumor and the game came out late next year, it would give them a TON of sales. Especially if they dedicated the necessary time to it. Ragnarok odyssey is a beautiful game and if they can harness that look and make it as good and long as Demon or Dark Souls, it would easily give the Vita a leg up. But alas... Sony has proven to care less about their handhelds over time.

A cheap and easy thing to do would be to give the Vita a PS2 emulator. That alone would make them money hand over fist. They could take a page from the pcsx2 emulator and give people what they want. I would pay money to have ps2 games on the go.

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Kingdom Hearts 1&2.
Tekken
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Sly Cooper.

Or release the HD remixes for the Vita. Either one would be a stellar business plan while they devote time to making GOOD games for the Vita and quit rushing things. Thats just me though. Sorry for the Thread hijacking.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Its the same way people look at the vita and ps3 though. why play my ps2 games on my vita if i already have them on my ps3 AND the ps3 is on? Its not a bad idea.Demon souls maybe, dark souls is namco bandai. Besides, thats what soul sacrifice is offering, a monster hunter/kindve souls difficulty experience. A Souls game on the go though..id buy one just for that. If tales games get localized or we ATLEAST get access to PURCHASE the game on the store, id be ok with playing it in japenese.

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Kyr Knightbane said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

That leaves only 1.47-ish Gigs left. Now, what if someone wants to get the games they actually want? They will run out of space very quickly. Back on my PSP I have VERY little room on any of my Memory Cards (generally 200 kb each) and they are 3 16 GB each when empty.

The Memory cards have always been expensive and by the time you spent the money to get a useable Memory card you will have spent well over 350 bucks on this bundle which is still overpriced. 4 Gigs is not usable in our current time unless you do not plan on getting more than a handful of games over the course of the handheld's existence. They need to drop the price on those Memory Units if they want a chance in hell to stay competitive.
I agree, and i'm sure once more Sony devices are released that are compatible, they will drop the price. (It happened with the psp memory cards. Plus if you went with a non-sony brand, you could get a ton of memory for incredibly cheap) However my main issue with this article was the blatant ignorance of facts. I was merely displaying actual facts.

But to claim that a new memory card could cost you up to 100 bucks is ridiculous. Yes, they offer 100 dollar cards, but i had to dig hard to even find one that was 100 bucks. And a 40 to 50 dollar card is perfect for the Vita. That's all i'm pointing out.
I said a new memory card could cost UP TO $100. As you pointed out, the 32GB is almost that much (I've seen it listed as $99.99 in other places). How is that ignoring facts?

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

I said a new memory card could cost UP TO $100. As you pointed out, the 32GB is almost that much (I've seen it listed as $99.99 in other places). How is that ignoring facts?
Ooooh, Caps.

You chose to list the HIGH end (I can do it too :p)

16 gigs is more than enough memory for the Vita. Hell, 8 gigs is more than enough. I hardly had any problems with 4 gigs and had a slew of games on mine (Minis for the win)

Anyways, to get back to the point, yes it can be up to 100 bucks, however you chose to simply state the high end. Rather than put a positive spin on it, you chose to immediately slam a negative in there. The bundle is awesome, and it does save you money. But no... you decided to say and i quote

Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Unfortunately, you won't be able to fit too many of those games on the laughable 4GB memory card.

The overpriced proprietary memory cards have been one of the biggest complaints about the Vita since its launch earlier this year. While this bundle has a lot to offer, it ignores the fact that anyone who buys it will probably still have to pick up a bigger memory card, which can add up to another $100 to the total
Yes you did end with "That being said" however... it didn't need to be said. Its cool if you don't like the product or the promotion, but then again if you don't like it, perhaps you shouldn't be the one posting 'news' about it? Personal conflict and all that.

Cheers :)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Kyr Knightbane said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

Ooooh, Caps.

16 gigs is more than enough memory for the Vita. Hell, 8 gigs is more than enough. I hardly had any problems with 4 gigs and had a slew of games on mine (Minis for the win)

Anyways, to get back to the point, yes it can be up to 100 bucks, however you chose to simply state the high end. Rather than put a positive spin on it, you chose to immediately slam a negative in there. The bundle is awesome, and it does save you money. But no... you decided to say and i quote

Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Unfortunately, you won't be able to fit too many of those games on the laughable 4GB memory card.

The overpriced proprietary memory cards have been one of the biggest complaints about the Vita since its launch earlier this year. While this bundle has a lot to offer, it ignores the fact that anyone who buys it will probably still have to pick up a bigger memory card, which can add up to another $100 to the total
Yes you did end with "That being said" however... it didn't need to be said. Its cool if you don't like the product or the promotion, but then again if you don't like it, perhaps you shouldn't be the one posting 'news' about it? Personal conflict and all that.

So you have a problem with someone emphasizing that the price per gigabyte on the Vita is insane? It's possible to buy a 128gb SSD for around 115 USD, yet buying a 32 GB proprietary flash card is costing nearly the same amount? And no, listing a 16gb drive for 50 does not help this fact, as it is basically matching the same problematic cost ratio.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Colt47 said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Kyr Knightbane said:
Really? NO.

Sources:

EDIT:
1.23 GB=Wipeout 2048
1.30 GB=Gravity rush

2.53 gigs.

Ooooh, Caps.

Sarah LeBoeuf said:

So you have a problem with someone emphasizing that the price per gigabyte on the Vita is insane? It's possible to buy a 128gb SSD for around 115 USD, yet buying a 32 GB proprietary flash card is costing nearly the same amount? And no, listing a 16gb drive for 50 does not help this fact, as it is basically matching the same problematic cost ratio.

Obviously you didn't read everything i said. What i had the problem with was she listed the high end of the market instead of giving more options. It immediately gave the article a negative tone and just seemed like pointless bashing.

EDIT: Allow me to elaborate:

I even agreed with the high price point. If you read what i said, you'd know that. However i explained my beef with the article numerous times. I also restated it in my original reply, however just so you can again see what i was at odds with allow me to say it again:

She pointed out the highest price point. She even stated a negative in bold print with intro. 4 gigs isn't that small. I even gave examples of the games she talked about and their size requirements. Yeah, i did. Go look.

I agreed with the high price point. I even stated that eventually i'm sure the proprietary memory will go down in price. The PsP had the same issue. People complained. 3rd party MS Duo's came along, and no-one cared. I'm sure the same will happen for the Vita.

SSD's were crazy expensive when they came out (and 115 bucks for 128 gigs is a ripoff. You can easily get a Terrabyte drive for that price). SSD's are still expensive. Supposedly they last longer and do better, buy my 500gb and 250gb SATA's with regular maintenance (IE disk and registry cleaners) are doing well and together cost about that much.

But this isn't the place to argue about SSD's or cost comparisons to other types of memory. I stated my issue, gave facts, replied to the author and you. That's it. Maybe she had an off night. Perhaps she just wanted to create controversy with her mocking of Sony's memory and bundle.

I think its an amazing deal for the Vita. But then again i enjoy games and gaming in general so maybe i have no place here.