GTAIV DLC Won't Pay in 2009

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006

Revenues from Grand Theft Auto IV's downloadable expansions aren't expect to earn Take-Two tons of dollars in the next year.

Despite announcing profits of $97 million for the year, Take-Two Interactive's stock took a beating at the mercy of the markets when it suggested that its 2009 performance would be lower than analysts expected.

According to Wedbush Morgan securities analyst Michael Pachter, part of this decreased guidance is due to a previous over-reliance on the exclusive Xbox 360 downloadable Grand Theft Auto episodes.

"We estimate that around 7 million copies of the GTA IV disc (required for the download) were sold on the Xbox 360, and believe that no more than 5 million of these were sold to members of Microsoft's Xbox Live service," said Pachter to Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21587].

If the market for the expansions is only five million users and the episodes are priced at $20 per download, then Take-Two could at max earn $100 million in revenue from one episode or $200 million from both of the packs to be released in 2009.

That number doesn't sound so bad, but as Pachter points out, "the addressable market for the downloads is less than half the addressable market for the game itself." Cutting those numbers in half and you have maximum revenue potential somewhere between $50 and $100 million, assuming everyone who could download the content would.

Then there is the Microsoft royalty of $6 per copy. "Take-Two will receive no cash from sales of downloadable content until each download generates approximately $35 million in sales (around 1.75 million units)," Pachter explained.

Considering that the first offering, Lost and Damned, will be released in February and its followup in late 2009, Take-Two is unlikely to see much profit from the DLC until 2010.

Pachter added to the case against Take-Two, "The cash burn is made even more tenuous by the company's release schedule during the year with the bulk of its new releases coming in the last half of the year."

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
20 bucks per episode?

They better be freaking big if I'm paying that much (Which I can almost guarantee I won't be). I guess the die-hards will be all over it.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
Baby Tea said:
20 bucks per episode?

They better be freaking big if I'm paying that much (Which I can almost guarantee I won't be). I guess the die-hards will be all over it.
that's what i thought, $20? why would i pay that much for an extra mission or two?

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
Logan Frederick said:

Then there is the Microsoft royalty of $6 per copy. "Take-Two will receive no cash from sales of downloadable content until each download generates approximately $35 million in sales (around 1.75 million units)," Pachter explained.

confused...wouldn't take two generate 14 dollars of revenue starting from the first download if microsoft is taking 6 dollars? How come this says that take two won't receive any cash unless they sell 35 million dollars?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
dcheppy said:
Logan Frederick said:

confused...wouldn't take two generate 14 dollars of revenue starting from the first download if microsoft is taking 6 dollars? How come this says that take two won't receive any cash unless they sell 35 million dollars?
It seems that according to the deal with Microsoft, the first $35 million must be repaid directly to Microsoft before Take-Two pays off the rest of its $50 million upfront bonus at its leisure.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Out of the 5 million X-Box live members who bought GTAIV, I wonder how many of them have since traded the game in, or will do before the DLC is available.

Then there's also people like myself, who haven't traded GTAIV in, but who won't buy the DLC, since more of the same boring story missions in the fun deprived Liberty City doesn't seem like a good prospect.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
dcheppy said:
Logan Frederick said:

It seems that according to the deal with Microsoft, the first $35 million must be repaid directly to Microsoft before Take-Two pays off the rest of its $50 million upfront bonus at its leisure.
This doesn't seem like a great deal for take two, unless of course the DLC bombs which it might. Since the first 35 million dollars goes to microsoft if take two didn't take Microsoft's money they would only have to generate more than 15 million dollars revenue on the PS3 to come out on top assuming sony would take a comparable six dollar royalty. Or am I understanding this wrong.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Who the hell is this Pachter guy we keep hearing about, and where the hell was he last year when sub prime morgatages were taking a dive?

Every investment advisor who didn't predict the economic crisis needs to be rounded up and tried for treason.