Canceled Guitar Hero Featured Six-String Peripheral

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Canceled Guitar Hero Featured Six-String Peripheral

Guitar Hero 7 would have lost drums, vocals, and probably lots of money.

Guitar Hero had an oddly appropriate life cycle for a game about rock stars. Coming from humble beginnings with a single game and a unique idea, the series experienced a meteoric rise over the next few years before overexposing itself and dying an ignominious, early death. Before the series went spontaneously combust. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115974-Activision-Smashes-Guitar-Hero-Reboot-Plans]

GH7 was canceled in early 2011, but had a considerable amount of developer heft behind it prior to that. A source close to the project describes an ambitious, but potentially ridiculous new six-string guitar controller that Vicarious Visions had developed. "Not a real guitar, or even full six-stringed," he explains. "It had the classic Guitar Hero buttons on the neck with one extra new button, and six strings where the strum bar used to be." While the design was unorthodox, the source was not thrilled with the final product, especially since the peripheral in question was unwieldy, expensive, and unattractive. "The strings were unresponsive and loose, and the guitars cost a fortune to make."

The game had other grand ambitions beyond its semi-six-string guitar. Originally, Vicarious Visions wanted to redo Guitar Hero's recognizable art style, amass a collection of rock and metal classics, and provide each song with its own unique music video and location. However, cost and technical issues beset the production at every turn. "[Vicarious Visions] realized that, with our lack of budget and time, they couldn't get quality music so they bought bargain basement music like 'Closing Time' and 'Sex and Candy,'" says the source. "There were some songs in there that had been used at least three times in the GH franchises before." Furthermore, a tracklist of over 80 songs made individual music videos impossible, so the same two sets started getting reused over and over. "They had a game that looked bad, had bad music, had very limited venues, and more was getting cut as time went on."

While Guitar Hero 7 had some promising ideas, given its diminishing nature, it's probably just as well that it never saw the light of day. Guitar Hero is a franchise whose time may yet come again, but in the meantime, at least the gaming community has plenty of good memories [http://southpark.wikia.com/wiki/Guitar_Queer-O] from it.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5965684/guitar-hero-7-was-going-to-have-six+string-guitars-no-drums-no-singing-was-cancelled-in-2011?post=54927409]

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
That game sounds terrible, makes me happy that it never saw the light of day. I mean their original idea might have worked if they had set some realistic standards along with it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, so Guitar Hero 7: One unwieldy, costly instrument you needed to buy because the old ones wouldn't work, cheapass songs, no instruments but guitar.

Rock Band 3: Optional pro instruments, can play the entire game without buying a new instrument, expanded instrument support, pro guitar is actually full-featured....

How could Harmonix pull this off but VV was so completely clueless?

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
Sooo, they were (yet again) basically going to do what Rock Band did, but worse?

And in this case much, MUCH worse?

Can't really say that I'm even slightly surprised about hearing that (or reading to be precise).

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Okay, so Guitar Hero 7: One unwieldy, costly instrument you needed to buy because the old ones wouldn't work, cheapass songs, no instruments but guitar.

Rock Band 3: Optional pro instruments, can play the entire game without buying a new instrument, expanded instrument support, pro guitar is actually full-featured....

How could Harmonix pull this off but VV was so completely clueless?
Well for one, Harmonix actually cares about making quality music gaming experiences and they've been doing it for 10 over years now. Vicarious Visions was just some company Activision initially had making the Wii ports of Guitar Hero and had never actually made one of their own.

Harmonix also had the financial backing and whatever musical clout that MTV Games and Viacom still had left in the industry, as well as a deal with MadCatz who became their official peripheral makers, which lowered Harmonix's expenses greatly and shifted production to a company experienced at making peripherals.

Also, Harmonix is AWESOME. They're one of my favorite developers.

This article made me smile, showing how much of a joke Activision's bastardization of Harmonix's vision for Guitar Hero turned out to be. This would have been one of the worst games ever and I almost wish they had been dumb enough to release it and make a public joke outof Activision and VV. Guitar Hero has been steadily going downhill since Activision bought it from RedOctane and kicked Harmonix out. Harmonix were the geniuses that made it work, not RedOctane.

I only wish that Activision hadn't taken the entire "rock band simulation" genre down with them when they died a horrible death. They almost single handedly broke the genre with their bazillion "sequels" and new versions. I mean... in approximately one calendar year period they released FIVE (EDIT: SIX!!!) console GH games at one point.What the FUCK were they thinking?

October 2008- Guitar Hero: World Tour
March 2009- Guitar Hero: Metallica
June 2009- Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
September 2009- Guitar Hero 5
(Semi-related: October 2009- DJ Hero)
EDIT: November 2009- Band Hero
December 2009- Guitar Hero: Van Halen

Not even Call of duty has this type of aggressive sequelization and this is when the music genre really started to tank...

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sight Unseen said:
Also, Harmonix is AWESOME.
All you needed to say.

It was rhetorical, anyway.
Meh, I always enjoy venting a bit about how terribly activision handled one of my favorite video game genres and brought down the whole genre with it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sight Unseen said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sight Unseen said:
All you needed to say.

Meh, I always enjoy venting a bit about how terribly activision handled one of my favorite video game genres and brought down the whole genre with it.
I'm personally just thankful Harmonix is in it, still. I love my music library. I love pro keys. I even like Pro Geetar.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sight Unseen said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sight Unseen said:
All you needed to say.

I'm personally just thankful Harmonix is in it, still. I love my music library. I love pro keys. I even like Pro Geetar.
Yeah but even harmonix isn't really making any new games in the band sim field anymore, and Dance Central is actually far more profitable to them than Rock Band is now... They're mostly just giving DLC now to the hardcore people who are still lingering, but they've all but lost the casual appeal that it once had.

Makes me sad because I LOVE Rock Band so much and even I've started to lose interest because there hasn't been anything new to keep me interested.The DLC has been a slow trickle of stuff I'm not interested in and there's not even been any kind of announcement of anything new coming down the road. Blitz was a fun diversion for a while but hardly the solution I wanted.

I don't even know where they can go from here. I mean, how can you top yourself when you have fully functional real instruments?

triorph

Aug 5, 2008
Should've just gone the rocksmith route and used a real guitar.

Also 'sex and candy' and 'closing time' are awesome songs, they need more like that really.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
So...basically, Rocksmith?

Nah, I kid. I'm actually glad they didn't release GH7 for the following reasons:

1. Even more overkill
2. Gimmicky guitar
3. My other instruments would have been obsolete and I would have been pissed
4. The art style is what makes GH, otherwise it's Rock Band.
5. Say whatever you want, most GH games are fun. If this one was gonna suck, then yeah, cancel it.

I'll stick to RB3 while the Music gaming genre revives.
IT WILL COME BACK, JUST YOU WAIT! *Sniff*

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
Wow, I never even knew there was a guitar hero 6.
I've started to get a little disappointed in the series after Guitar hero 5, Though it had a few good bands, most of their songs were some of their really obscure ones rather then their top hits.

I haven't played GH 1 and 2, but GH 3 and GH Metallica were definitely loads of fun, and World Tour managed to redeem itself with the ability to download player based songs, some of which, were actually better then the songs that came with the game.