Square Enix Teaser Site Could Hint at New Star Ocean

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Square Enix Teaser Site Could Hint at New Star Ocean

Square Enix's latest countdown clock is set to reveal a new game on December 11.

Square Enix teaser site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119162-Mysterious-The-World-Ends-With-You-Countdown-Begins], which features a starry space background, some planets, oh, and the word "star" in the upper right-hand corner. Could this be hinting at a new Star Ocean game?

For fans of Square Enix's long-running RPG series (no, not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest--the one in space), it's been nearly four years since Star Ocean: The Last Hope was released. There's not a lot to go by on the teaser site, but the hints seem to point at something Star Ocean-related, even if it's not necessarily the next entry in the franchise. The URL even contains the word "liftoff," with the page called "Secret Title 2012.12.12."

Less than five days remain until the mystery is solved. When Square Enix published a similar teaser site for The World Ends With You earlier this year, the reveal was an iOS port, not a sequel. Perhaps instead of a new game, some of the earlier Star Ocean titles are being adapted for handhelds or mobile. We'll find out for sure in four days, 11 hours, and counting...

Source: Polygon [http://liftoff.square-enix.co.jp/]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time is one of my all time favourite RPGs. The latest one wasn't quite as good, but still a pretty fun game. Only problem is, I don't have any consoles anymore...

I don't think it'll be a new one though, more likely ports to iPads, etc.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I hope it's either a PS3 port of Till The End of Time (like how they put PS2 games on PSN) or a new one. If it is a new one it better be just as good as Till The End of Time because The Last Hope sucked butt.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I doubt any Star Ocean game is getting an android or iOS port. I also doubt that any of the previous Star Oceans are going to be re-released again. The first 2 were already re-released on the PSP.

I remember seeing a tech demo or something from Tri-Ace that seemed like it was hinting at a possible Star Ocean 5. So it actually wouldn't surprise me. I think Tri-Ace made some statements saying they're working on a secret project or something. This could be it, hopefully. I get the feeling it's gonna be a spin-off though. Most likely going to go in a new direction, which might not be bad but... certainly isn't going to make most fans happy.

So my bet is on announcing a Star Ocean spin-off that will probably be released on 360 or PS3. I just hope it's something interested. I loved Star Ocean 3/4. Never cared for 1/2.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I want to be positive and excited for this but as the last SE game I actualy liked was Kingdom Hearts 2, which came out in 2005, all I have is a overwhelming feeling of dread that they will fuck this up just as they have fucked up Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts over the last 7 years.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Watch as it is a new Japan-only IP that no one will care about once the countdown is over.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I'm a tad worried that when they finally release a trailer, it's going to be a CG fight-scene depicting the anime-styled protagonist fighting in slow-motion with an army of alien beings who just so happen to be dressed like nuns...

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
This news should excite me, but it doesn't.
If it's a new game, I hope it's more like Star Ocean 3 rather than 4. I really didn't like 4.

Wishful Thinking: Maybe it's a remake of Star Ocean 3 that retcons the horrible mid game plot twist.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
There ya go, Squenix! You do have other IP's that were very successful AND critically acclaimed; good to see you using them :)

Now, show me a Brave Fencer Musashi sequel that I won't be embarrassed by

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I guess I'll try to be optimistic here... I want it to be an actual new Star Ocean, and I want it to be available for the 360. *crosses fingers*

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Still waiting for that Versus 13 Square... *twitches*

OT: Oh well, this could be interesing to see. If nothing else it will give Graham and Paul an opportunity to revisit the franchise with Yahtzee.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Nihlus2 said:
Still waiting for that Versus 13 Square... *twitches*.
Versus, Type-0 getting US localization, KH3, Lightning Returns (not that anyone cares about this one).

But this is Square Enix, all they know how to do is announce games that'll never be finished or see a US release. Oh, and make really stupid advertising decisions. Yeah they're good at those two things, and that's about it.

But yeah, I expect to see I-pad ports of the PSP versions of SO 1 and 2 be the results of this count-down, if even that.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
It'd make sense if it was the final fantasy 13-3 since it's gonna be countdown galore or something like that.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Quiet Stranger said:
I hope it's either a PS3 port of Till The End of Time (like how they put PS2 games on PSN) or a new one. If it is a new one it better be just as good as Till The End of Time because The Last Hope sucked butt.
Last Hope is the 360/PS3 one right?

Because I have that. I'ts pretty shitty. Broken combat mechanics (play as the ranged character or be juggled to the game over screen) made me put it down about 5 hours in a few years ago and I've never gotten round to playing more of it.

OT: Better be good squeenix, your handling of JRPG's has been sketchy inr ecent times.
Though I applaud Deus Ex: HR and Sleeping Dogs.

mlbslugger06

Sep 27, 2009
They are finally adding all the Star Ocean games, including First Departure and Second Evolution, onto the PSN.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm kind of hoping this is a new Star Ocean title, but like others have said, Square Enix's main branch has been absolutely atrocious when it comes to building up a backlog of announced titles without any indication of a nearby release.

I actually loved Star Ocean TLH. The characters were awful and the story was pretty lame, but the revamped combat system and the endgame were pretty fantastic.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
countdown clocks: the most disappointing way to introduce your ports

how many times would they be willing to make that mistake?