Peter Molyneux Is Terrified

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Peter Molyneux Is Terrified

Even one of the most accomplished game designers can be frightened of failure.

Read Full Article

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Peter M sadly does not live in a world where the tech meets what he wants to do.
If he did, then he would make some pretty great games.

He sadly keeps going beyond what tech allows for and just keeps failing because of that.
Hopefully it works out for him.

Urgol

Feb 5, 2009
I've mad fun of Molyneux a lot through the years.

And yet I still believe that the gaming world/buisness/community will be a poorer place without him.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
"Godus will be the greatest game ever in the history of games! You will be able to play it on all systems, multiplayer with aliens, transcend your Earthly form and reach a higher state of consciousness! You will become... a GOD!"

Yeah... okay, Peter. Have some warm milk and a nice sit down.

Jokes aside, I hope the kickstarter succeeds, he's said this will be his last game, we'll see.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
I feel like Peter Molyneux is the Nikola Tesla of gaming...anyone with me on this?

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
tmande2nd said:
Peter M sadly does not live in a world where the tech meets what he wants to do.
If he did, then he would make some pretty great games.

He sadly keeps going beyond what tech allows for and just keeps failing because of that.
Hopefully it works out for him.
It was never the tech, it was always the manhours needed to do what he wanted to be done.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Peter Molyneux made the most amazing games of my childhood and the depressing disappointments of my young adulthood.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Good interview Greg. Sounds like he was bouncing of the walls the whole time XD

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I really hope this comes through. It sounds like something I really would like to play. And damnit you're right; his enthusiasm is infectious. :p

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
"At this rate, his little routine is insulting. He's starting to dump on Curiosity to hype the next project, just like he pathologically did with the Fable series. He's either a liar, or has the mind of a child, and in either case he needs to not be dealing with the public.

And FUCK the press that act as enablers. Those who try and justify bullshit by calling it "passion" or act like they believe him when he says things like, "Fable the Journey is not on rails." People who keep telling their audience that, this time, Peter really reeeeeally means it -- you're letting him keep doing the same old shit, and neither him, nor his fans, deserve such harmful toadying." Jim Sterling

Forgive the cut-and paste, but jim took the words out of my mouth a couple of weeks back. Peter needs to cork it already.
AldUK said:
Jokes aside, I hope the kickstarter succeeds, he's said this will be his last game, we'll see.
Kojima said the same thing about Metal Gear Solid 2. These guys are worse about retiring than rock bands and their multiple "Final Tour" concerts.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Peter Molyneux has magical powers. I have interviewed the man many times. I have seen him speak many times. I know that there's a big gap between what he promises and what actually happens. And yet I will believe whatever he tells me, every single time. And I will do so happily.

Magical. Goddamn. Powers.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Peter Molyneux has magical powers. I have interviewed the man many times. I have seen him speak many times. I know that there's a big gap between what he promises and what actually happens. And yet I will believe whatever he tells me, every single time. And I will do so happily.

Magical. Goddamn. Powers.
It is because he believes it, he believes that he can make all this happen, and by god so do we!
If Peter M went into marketing he would make millions..

I can't wait for Godus, I am pretty sure it will be the best game ever made. It seems like it will be.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
No matter how much we all mock him for over-hyping his games to the moon (and with good reason some of the time), damn you're right, his enthusiasm is downright infectious, and if more people in the industry were at least as enthusiastic as him, we'd be a lot better off.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
If anyone is interested Molyneux is currently on the Yogscast Christmas livestream.

Its weird.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I always feel like the people who insult Peter Molyneux must be the most terrible people to spend any length of time with. How fucking boring do you have to be to have any hatred for the man? Sure, I'm no big fan of Fable, particularly the last two installments, but I've never seen a man so enthusiastic about his own games, and that enthusiasm has given him more successes than failures.

The man deserves to go out on a high note.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Good, let him be terrified. He deserves it.

Let his terror then be the catalyst to actually make the game happen in the way he wants it to.
Let the terror curb his apparently natural tendency to over-hype everything.

Let the terror make Godus an actually good game.

Then he can have my money, not a millisecond before that.

Because right now he is not worth the investment, he sells games on things that it'll never have.
His terror might help change this for the better, so let him be terrified.