Treyarch Tweaks Black Ops 2 Probation System, Zombies Mode

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Treyarch Tweaks Black Ops 2 Probation System, Zombies Mode

Black Ops 2 players will no longer be penalized for getting booted out of a multiplayer match.

Activision's latest entry in the Call of Duty franchise may be selling just fine, but the online mode has been hampered by a particularly unfortunate bug that can lock players out of joining public matches. In a pair of recent tweets, developer Treyarch notes that a patch has been launched to fix the error, as well as unlock the Nuketown Zombies map for additional players on Xbox 360.

The multiplayer bug in question relates to the game's new "probation" system. When playing Black Ops 2 online, the game keeps track of how many times you quit out of public matches, and how frequently. If you're found to be abusing the in-game abort option, you'll be placed on probation, which locks you out of public matches for various lengths of time, starting at just one minute.

Unfortunately, Treyarch forgot to consider how often players get booted out of public matches because of host glitches and other errors, and the game was - up until now - counting all of those instances against the players. Now, the system will only tally against your total number of quits when you abort of your own accord.

Treyarch is also adding the ability for Season Pass holders on Xbox 360 (players who paid upfront for all future map unlocks) to play the previously retail-exclusive Nuketown Zombies map. Before this change, only players who paid for either the "Hardened Edition" or "Care Package Edition" of the title were allowed to experience the new, undead take on the classic Nuketown map.

Both tweaks should go live today for Xbox 360 owners, while PS3 and PC players will only be able to look forward to the fix of the probation system.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Treyarch/status/278580402808037377]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sign out of Xbox Live
Eject the disc
Restart Xbox 360

Three ways around it already.

Not that it was a good idea having it so that connection issues etc. counted, but the idea doesn't work when there are numerous ways around it.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Legion said:
Sign out of Xbox Live
Eject the disc
Restart Xbox 360

Three ways around it already.

Not that it was a good idea having it so that connection issues etc. counted, but the idea doesn't work when there are numerous ways around it.
sounds like a great workaround, unless they store the Gamertag/systemId/gameId whatnot then you have to possibly use a different account/system which means you don't have everything that you may have worked for. in other words if this probation is server-side

OT: I think they should have actually kind of kept the probation system, but instead on just the Abort option being used make it if the player is kicked out of the match for being a Doushbag then little timmy trashtalker might actually learn that there are repercussions to being that Doushbag. though no company is willing to step in and implement these kind of user enforcement.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Doesn't the probation only last for about 2 minutes? Or does it go up for repeatedly quitting? I dunno, I've never been put on probation. But a friend of mine said it only lasts for 2 minutes, so what is the big deal?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
For these exact problems probation is BS anyway. seriously a 2 min penalty isnt going to stop rage quitters. and who cares anyway. Never had any problems since the lobby fills back up pretty quick, and otherwise you lose 1 match, big deal. I lose more matches due to me joining 2 seconds before the end of a game than to my team quitting.

There are bigger problems thought. Such as the BS that if you quit you dont get your match bonus. What? we are not allowed to have dinner anymore without their approval? I know, small complaint, it has just always annoyed me.

Or the SIMPLEST solution for connection issues, for the PC anyway. Actual servers. You know, like COD 4, Battlefield BC2 or any other GOOD FPS on the pc out there. I can guarantell you that would have increased sales on the PC right there.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
FIX THE LAG AND THE HIT DETECTION! These would of been the only things that would of kept me playing this mess.

Also, no, its not my internet connection. I know plenty of other people who have had the same problems.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Still would prefer they put back Nuketown 24/7, that's what was advertised and that is what I want. Seriously, chaos moshpit is garbage, every other lobby has overvoted for it and people constantly leave when the map isn't Nuketown or the ship map.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
wooty said:
FIX THE LAG AND THE HIT DETECTION! These would of been the only things that would of kept me playing this mess.

Also, no, its not my internet connection. I know plenty of other people who have had the same problems.
^100% this oh so much^ because I cannot stress how annoying it is to play a game and use all my skills possible only for them to completely be dashed due to bad lag and hit detection problems.