Cooling "Lungs" Outperform Traditional Fans

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Cooling "Lungs" Outperform Traditional Fans

Boffins have developed an efficient air-cooling system based on the human lung.

Heat is the latest, and perhaps most daunting, technological hurdle facing the consumer electronics market, particularly when it comes to mobile computing. Upgrading a smartphone processor is pointless if the end product erupts into flames half-way through a session of Angry Birds. Current heat-distribution methods - heat sinks, fans, liquid cooling, etc - perform adequately on current-scale PCs, but they're struggling to keep up with the shrinking scale of mobile tech. Researchers at General Electronics have come up with an interesting alternative; A solid-state cooling system based on the human lung.

The prototype cooler involves two 40mm by 40mm thin metal plates bonded to strips of piezoelectric ceramic. These ceramics, dubbed Dual Piezoelectric Cooling Jets, flex when an AC current is applied, causing the whole cooler to continuously push a 1mm-wide jet of air in and out of itself. It may look kind of creepy, like a fish gasping for air, but the prototype cooler is smaller, quieter and nearly two times more energy efficient than a traditional fan. The frequency of the unit's "breaths" can also be adjusted on the fly - you can add your own "heavy breathing" joke.

Of course, computer components don't operate in a vacuum, as any PC enthusiast who has ever gazed into their parent's ancient Dell with a look of abject horror on their face can tell you. Run a PC long enough and its insides begin to resemble that of a dust-flavoured candy floss machine. To test the cooler, GE blasted it with fine grain dust from multiple angles. The cooler was still running perfectly four days later. Apparently, the air velocity of the jets keeps the unit clean.

While this tech could come in very handy in the notebook market, GE is leaving the real-world applications to another company; It's licensed the system to Japanese thermal solutions outfit, Fujikura.

Source:The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/12/ge_lungs_cooling_pc/]

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Hmm, my next massive upgrade will be water cooling rather than air =\ otherwise, sounds interesting, my current HS has a bit of dust on the fins XD

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
My next comp is running a liquid cooling system, if there is proof that this new system is better I'll give it a look. Still, I like the energy efficiency thing, having laptops run longer wouldn't go amiss, and the adjust on the fly thing interests me very much. if it is twice as energy efficient, then adjusting it to twice the strength can only mean good things! *insert mad doctor face here*

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Upgrading a smartphone processor is pointless if the end product erupts into flames half-way through a session of Angry Birds.
I thoroughly disagree.

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
It's a passing fad it'll blow over.
This entire story makes me sigh.
It's just a bunch of scientists venting their minds.
The investors are just full of hot air.
I doubt the public will ever get wind of this.
The only people that'll get this are air heads.
Yeah okay I'm done.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
First of all, they failed at biology. Lungs don't breathe.

Secondly, they must have some serious suction power for the small volume/movement to be even more effective than fans. More work from star trek.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i dont see how in and out is more efficient than constant stream of air. unless the breathing is so fast even a hamster cant compete. efficient design is much better than efficient cooling. same cooler, same CPU, HP turns on 90 C Asus on 30C. all because o different venting design.

Good fan beats everything else in the long run. and no, please dont be my fan.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Am I the only person who kept getting thrown by the guy wearing safety glasses for the interview off putting?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Today, they learn how to breathe.
Tomorrow, they'll learn how to overthrow humanity.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
mad825 said:
First of all, they failed at biology. Lungs don't breathe.

Secondly, they must have some serious suction power for the small volume/movement to be even more effective than fans. More work from star trek.
Do you mean that its the diaghram that breathes while the lungs hold the air and exchange gases, or is there some deeper, more abstract side of respiration that they kept secret from us in our biology classes?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Do you mean that its the diaghram that breathes while the lungs hold the air and exchange gases, or is there some deeper, more abstract side of respiration that they kept secret from us in our biology classes?
The lungs do not control the breath, the lungs are merely the physical representation of the transfer of essence from the world into the body. The breath is the life.

wgar

Apr 22, 2012
Strazdas said:
i dont see how in and out is more efficient than constant stream of air. unless the breathing is so fast even a hamster cant compete. efficient design is much better than efficient cooling. same cooler, same CPU, HP turns on 90 C Asus on 30C. all because o different venting design.

Good fan beats everything else in the long run. and no, please dont be my fan.
On GON they quoted it as being in the hundreds of Hz, and I can't think of any creatures off the top of my head that breathe that fast.

It'd be interesting to see this used in gaming consoles at the majority of xbox 360 space is the drive and the heatsinks (like, 2/3 of the cases space give or take) which could be significantly reduced to resemble the later PS2s.

Also would be good if they were more efficient than fans as I doubt these would get dusty on the same scale as fans do considering their surface is always vibrating as opposed to fans that have copper parts for cooling purposes.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
Yeah, the tech's cool.

Did anybody else find it really amusing how everyone was wearing safety goggles for the entire video, though? I can imagine a marketing guy going "Okay, how do we emphasize that our engineers mean business? Let's make them wear protective glasses FOR THE ENTIRE VIDEO!"

Stick Antolini

Jun 3, 2010
What I learned from that video was that, they still make laptops with the tit-mice, I thought they stopped being a thing like in the mid 2000's or something.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
freebiewitz said:
It's a passing fad it'll blow over.
This entire story makes me sigh.
It's just a bunch of scientists venting their minds.
The investors are just full of hot air.
I doubt the public will ever get wind of this.
The only people that'll get this are air heads.
Yeah okay I'm done.
I see what ya did there :p

Seriously though, I do wonder if this would be as efficient on a large scale, such as for PC's. This could be one hell of a cool upgrade for custom rigs :)