Assassin's Creed III Moves 7 Million Copies in First Month

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Assassin's Creed III Moves 7 Million Copies in First Month

Ubisoft's killer franchise shows no signs of slowing down.

Despite launching in the midst of the busiest release season of the year - and going up against new titles from the biggest brands in the industry - Assassin's Creed III managed to snag 7 million sales in just its first month. This figure is easily enough to make the latest Assassin's title the fastest-selling game Ubisoft has ever released.

In an official press release, Ubisoft noted that gamers have spent over 8,200 hours playing the game since release, adding that over 3 billion virtual assassinations have already taken place worldwide.

Ubisoft's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Tony Key, is predictably upbeat about the lofty figure, saying "The reception for Assassin's Creed III has been exceptional, and this success has positioned the game among the best sellers of the 2012 holiday season. We knew we had something special on our hands when Assassin's Creed III was launched, and we're really excited and proud to see how much fans are enjoying the latest installment in the franchise."

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-12-assassins-creed-iii-sells-7-million-in-first-month]

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I'm so torn about AC3.

It's really strange. I totally admit the game is a technical marvel and there's so much to do, and it's great and all that.

But for some reason, it's getting boring really fast. I think it might be because the characters/storyline aren't really doing it for me. It feels like you're on board a history lesson, with no personal stake in anything (thus far)

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Will Ubisoft release numbers for Far Cry 3 as well? I'd like to see how Ubisoft does in 2012.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
antipunt said:
I'm so torn about AC3.

It's really strange. I totally admit the game is a technical marvel and there's so much to do, and it's great and all that.

But for some reason, it's getting boring really fast. I think it might be because the characters/storyline aren't really doing it for me. It feels like you're on board a history lesson, with no personal stake in anything (thus far)
I isolated my main gripes with AC3 as the two following points.
-You spend a significant minority of your time assassinating people (assuming you don't garrote random guards for no established reason, and even if you do, they're not exactly stimulating prey)
-You spend an overwhelming majority of your time helping someone else do whatever they want, acting as a glorified sidekick or lackey. Connor never seems to take the lead, mostly doing whatever Magic eight Ball/Achilles/His KidBro/Sam Adams/Washingotn/Hatham/Etc tell him to do. Even when gets locked away from all of the above, he immediately spends all of seven seconds to find someone new to give him a plan.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
In an official press release, Ubisoft noted that gamers have spent over 8,200 hours playing the game since release, adding that over 3 billion virtual assassinations have already taken place worldwide.

Thats gotta be wrong...unless each player played .07 minutes lol.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Seth Carter said:
antipunt said:
I'm so torn about AC3.

I isolated my main gripes with AC3 as the two following points.
-You spend a significant minority of your time assassinating people (assuming you don't garrote random guards for no established reason, and even if you do, they're not exactly stimulating prey)
-You spend an overwhelming majority of your time helping someone else do whatever they want, acting as a glorified sidekick or lackey. Connor never seems to take the lead, mostly doing whatever Magic eight Ball/Achilles/His KidBro/Sam Adams/Washingotn/Hatham/Etc tell him to do. Even when gets locked away from all of the above, he immediately spends all of seven seconds to find someone new to give him a plan.
I think you nailed it sir. Pretty good explanation imo

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, it was to be expected, seeing how the franchise has built a reputation for high quality, and I had no qualms about pre-ordering.

Too bad that this turned out to be the first AC game I dislike for soooooo many reasons. :(

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
antipunt said:
I'm so torn about AC3.

Connor is boring. Time period is boring. Cities are boring.

I felt like I should be having sneaky stabby assassin fun. But I was just so indifferent to the entire damn game ):

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sonicron said:
Well, it was to be expected, seeing how the franchise has built a reputation for high quality, and I had no qualms about pre-ordering.

Too bad that this turned out to be the first AC game I dislike for soooooo many reasons. :(
First one where I bought a collectors edition in the series ): First time the series has truly let me down too. It's like they kicked me when i was down!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Sonicron said:

First one where I bought a collectors edition in the series ): First time the series has truly let me down too. It's like they kicked me when i was down!
Yeah, that Join Or Die edition is sitting there on my shelf, all smug and silently mocking me.
Well fuck you, AC3! I know I can't stop you, but at least I burned your ass in an eloquent internet review! HA!

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I have to say as an AC fan, Assassin's Creed 3 is the WORST Assassin's creed to date. It's so FREAKING BORING! And it's hard to top Revelations in it's crappiness, but somehow that has been managed. I forced myself to play through half of it, thinking it will get better, and then I just gave up. The only thing that kept me going for the series was the story of it all, because after Brotherhood, it went downhill. But hell, AC3's not even worth keeping around for the story. I was disappointed in Ubisoft.. That is, until I played Far Cry 3 and thought it was one of the top 3 games of the year, so I forgave them. Ubisoft just has ups and downs. Really large ups and downs.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sonicron said:
SkarKrow said:
Sonicron said:

Yeah, that Join Or Die edition is sitting there on my shelf, all smug and silently mocking me.
Well fuck you, AC3! I know I can't stop you, but at least I burned your ass in an eloquent internet review! HA!
Freedom edition for me. I even did a youtube unboxing. Damn if I had a reliable method of capturing PS3 footage I would decimate it in an eloquent internet review that nobody would watch!

It's jsut so dull. Also the chase sequences were beyond shit.