GOG Delivers a Holiday Freebie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GOG Delivers a Holiday Freebie

GOG is starting the holidays off right with a huge sale free copies of the Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition for all the good little boys and girls.

GOG, in case you missed it, is having a pretty crazy holiday sale, starting with a sweet giveaway: Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition, the game that for a brief, shining moment had 3D Realms poised to take over the world. As GOG puts it, "Never before and never after have we witnessed such an unprecedented mix of explosive action, comedic brilliance, and sheer badassdom." It really was that good, and though it's well past its prime, now you can get some absolutely free.

And there's more! For a more contemporary gaming experience starring a guy who's actually very Duke-like in his own right, you can pick up The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for $7.49, 75 percent off the regular price. The indie starship simulator FTL: Faster Than Light is 50 percent off, leaving it at $4.99, and the massive Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition, which features Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of Undrentine, Hordes of the Underdark, Kingmaker and a whole bunch of extras, is also $4.99.

There are a total of 474 games on sale and GOG says that contests and other "holiday silliness" will all be part of the festivities. So hide your ducks - which I guess must be some kind of Polish holiday ritual - and check it out at GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/].

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Found it thanks to your tweet yesterday, actually.

Does seem to be the season of giving at the moment, what with Metro 2033 going free as well, and DoPo's free games thread as well.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I love GoG, so many free games from there xD I'll eventually have to scrounge some cash together and actually buy a few.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
rhizhim said:
Andy Shandy said:

Does seem to be the season of giving at the moment, what with Metro 2033 going free as well, and DoPo's free games thread as well.
dopos free games thread you say?
where?
Here it is.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.395970-free-games-thread

Actually says felbot in the Gaming Discussion bit, however DoPo's post is the first one. I think it was merged at some stage. But yeah, people have been giving away some games that they have an extra copy of and the like.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Oh my gosh GoG has got a good library of games. I've narrowed down my choices to Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Last Express, Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Good and Evil, but how on earth can I decide between them??

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Dangit. I walked in for the free Duke Nukem, and I walked out with a bag full of WITCHER 2.

My wallet hates me, and Steam hasn't even launched their holiday sale yet... I'm doooooooooooooomed!!!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Just when my wallet was congratulating itself on making it through two consecutive steam sales, gog.com pouches from behind and my poor wallet was left defenceless. Oh well free Duke will help ease it's pain :D

felbot

May 11, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
rhizhim said:
Andy Shandy said:

dopos free games thread you say?
where?
Here it is.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.395970-free-games-thread

Actually says felbot in the Gaming Discussion bit, however DoPo's post is the first one. I think it was merged at some stage. But yeah, people have been giving away some games that they have an extra copy of and the like.
i might as well clarify, dopo made a give-away thread first, however me being the blind bat that I am didn't see this, so i just went on and made my own free games thread, later when i had made the thread i went and saw dopos thread, apologised for not noticing it, and then he requested a thread merge.

technically its still my thread since mine was about free games in general hence we folded his thread in to mine though he is the first post since he made his thread before.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Damn, I just bought FTL a few days ago on Steam at 40% off.

Must learn to resist!

Nah screw it, I'ma check out GoG.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
RicoADF said:
josemlopes said:
Already got it, just installed it with Duke Plus and HRP. Its great

(snip)
Could you link me to those mods please :)
Sure.
http://deeperthought.dukertcm.com/
http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

This is how I installed:
1 - Download Duke Plus and place everything that is inside the "DukePlus Install" folder in the same folder where the "DUKE3D.exe" (and most other files) is.

2 - Try it out by running it using "eduke32.exe". It may ask you to use data from some other file, just say yes and it should look something like this

3 - Download Duke Nukem HRP, here you can choose the version that you want. The Polymer version is more eye-candy with better lighting and effect but it can be a bit unstable. I use the "Polymer HRP v5.1 FULL SFX" version and I do believe that its the same as in the video.

4 - Extract the files to wherever you want and then place those files in the same folder as before (Warning: from the extracted files there will be 2 files that you shouldnt move, duke3d.grp and duke.rts, they overwrite the files that confirm that you own the full version)

5 - After that just start eduke32.exe, select DukePlus and leave the "enable autoload folder" box checked and the "Polymer" box too

That is probably everything that you need to know. If any problem comes up say something

PS: There is a DukePlus menu that changes some feature in-game. The default key is PageUp and it can be changed in the Key Bindings

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Thanks for letting me know about this!

I got Duke Nukem 3D for free (I used to own a copy back in the day, but I long since lost the disks), and I picked up the Witcher 1 for 2 bucks fifty cents just to give it a try.