EA Combining Play4Free with Origin

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
EA Combining Play4Free with Origin

EA's free-to-play titles will now live exclusively on Origin.

Regardless of how gamers feel about EA's Origin storefront, it's clear that the company is putting all its PC eggs in one basket for the foreseeable future. In the latest move to make Origin the one-stop-shop for all EA titles on PC, the publisher's Play4Free hub is being fully merged with Origin.

The decision to merge the two game launching apps was likely an easy one; Origin can easily function as a portal for all of EA's Play4Free titles, so the need for a separate hub was largely redundant. The official Play4Free website now simply redirects to Origin's free-to-play game directory where titles like Need for Speed World and Battlefield Heroes now reside.

"Other than a new destination URL, nothing about the games has changed," reads the official EA statement on the change. "These are still the premium quality games that are free to download and play, where you control when you want to pay and how much."

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I wish Activision would follow suit on creating something like Origin. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the same stuff being sold all the time in on the Steam Store.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
The 'free' option on Origin had already being there for a while along side the play4free website.
So really this was a no brainer.
Still the free section doesn't allow for all the client games to be downloaded through the Origin client itself which is odd, hopefully that will come soon.

To mean the interesting addition to this is that on the free games section there is now non-EA free to play titles (such as Crossfire) which can be downloaded and played through Origin.

Look I know Origin is hated, but I give props to EA for not just leaving it in the dust like GFWL, they seem to be doing a fair job updating it.

EDIT: Okay strange, Crossfire has for some reason all of a sudden been pulled, but now it's in my library.
I guess it's some kind of error.

felbot

May 11, 2011
i have to wonder who actually wants to play battlefield heroes, that game is the very definition of pay to win.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
and thus, any chance of me returning to this game someday dies.

felbot said:
i have to wonder who actually wants to play battlefield heroes, that game is the very definition of pay to win.
It used to be different, way back in closed beta, Play4Free followed shortly

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
felbot said:
LOL what is your gif from?

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
felbot said:
this is pretty much right. I have not played in a long time, but even back when I did play the weapons you could buy with money really did give those players an unfair advantage

felbot

May 11, 2011
slash2x said:
felbot said:
LOL what is your gif from?
I got it from a friend of mine in Malaysia, she posted it in a thread I made back on gaia online, we only bacame friends though after I had tipped the post a couple of times.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Hey, look everyone, EA's beating a dead horse! Everyone pause for a 1/10th of a second, shrug, and move on with your lives.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
I think EA's strategy with Origin is to just do everything Steam does except after Steam has done it and not as well as Steam does it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Your Gaffer said:
I think EA's strategy with Origin is to just do everything Steam does except after Steam has done it and not as well as Steam does it.
To be fair to Origin Steam has copied their outlawing of class action lawsuits.

I like Origin, their service is fine and more dependable than Steam in my experience. The store prices are batshit insane though.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
So... just when I was thinking of coming back to play some more BF: Heroes, there's this. I guess no more BF: Heroes for me.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
MikeWehner said:
"Other than a new destination URL, nothing about the games has changed," reads the official EA statement on the change. "These are still the premium quality games that are free to download and play, where you control when you want to pay and how much."
The second quoation is essentially why I dislike EA so much. Everything they say reads like a mix between a politician and a salesman. It is pretty much their attitude through and through. Why can't they just say things like normal people.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Good. Let EA move all its stuff to Origin and keep it there. Then I won't have to see it anywhere and never give them a drop of my monies. Not that I would anyway... :eek:

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
octafish said:
Your Gaffer said:

I like Origin, their service is fine and more dependable than Steam in my experience. The store prices are batshit insane though.
I have not run Origin on my computer, my first hand experience has been on customer computers, but I was not impressed.
I have had almost no technical problems with Steam though, have you had stability issues? What kind?

EDIT: Also, on the class action banning, we have ATT and the Supreme Court to thank for that one. Mostly the Supreme Court.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Your Gaffer said:
octafish said:
Your Gaffer said:

I have not run Origin on my computer, my first hand experience has been on customer computers, but I was not impressed.
I have had almost no technical problems with Steam though, have you had stability issues? What kind?

EDIT: Also, on the class action banning, we have ATT and the Supreme Court to thank for that one. Mostly the Supreme Court.
Agreed on the US Supreme Court thing.

I have been with Steam since HL2, it was pretty much unusable for the first few years. I was locked out of HL2 for the first four months by Steams instability. I still get lengthy system hangs and say bi-monthly crashes. Nothing I won't forgive. My experince with Origin is that I have personally had no problems with it at all. Terrible prices but a reliable client. Faster downloads too. That is probably region based though.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
MikeWehner said:
"These are still the premium quality games that are free to download and play, where you control when you want to pay and how much."
Shouldn't that be "if you want to pay"? EA's PR-team just makes me sadder and sadder. :(

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
octafish said:
Your Gaffer said:
octafish said:
Your Gaffer said:

Agreed on the US Supreme Court thing.

I have been with Steam since HL2, it was pretty much unusable for the first few years. I was locked out of HL2 for the first four months by Steams instability. I still get lengthy system hangs and say bi-monthly crashes. Nothing I won't forgive. My experince with Origin is that I have personally had no problems with it at all. Terrible prices but a reliable client. Faster downloads too. That is probably region based though.
That is so strange. I had Steam starting in 2006 I think, after buying a copy of Counter Strike, and it was slow as hell, I didn't use it very often. In 2008 I started playing more games, I had an upgraded (and pretty great) gaming PC, and it ran really well.
I work as a computer tech, how is your PC running overall besides steam?