Doctors Fear 'Epidemic' of Wii Injuries

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doctors Fear 'Epidemic' of Wii Injuries

Doctors in the UK are warning people to take it easy with their Wiis over the holidays.

Medical professionals all over Britain are seeing an increase in injuries caused by people overdoing it while playing on the Wii. Back strains, knee strains and broken fingers are just some of the mishaps to befall over-enthusiastic gamers and doctors are worried that the number of accidents will rise significantly over Christmas.

Leeds Training Hospital and the British Society for Surgery of the Hand are just two of the organizations urging people not to get carried away when playing.

Apparently amongst those most at risk are fathers trying to keep up with their kids. Who would have thought that exercise could actually be bad for your health?

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/3854172/Doctors-fear-a-Wii-knee-epidemic.html]

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
English doctors encourages residents to consider cutting down on playing with their Wii, fathers especially targeted.

I feel immature for cackling at the idea, but it is incredibly entertaining from my standpoint. But, like all things, this one just boils back to yet another case of "Everything in Moderation." If you over-do anything, even breathing, it has negative health ramifications. Although I'd have to wonder exactly what games have gamers jumping and flailing around enough to have games pulling muscles and breaking digits.

But, then again, I usually play everything with a pretty docile demeanor. Maybe if I did too much Wii Boxing, or Wii Tennis, but for the most part, I'm usually sitting when playing. Then again, I tend to use the "Gamecube Controller" setting for most of my games, if it's available, and tend to under-exaggerate my motions because I'm playing in a crowded dorm when controller option isn't available.

So, in summary,
Exercise, huzzah! Pulling your muscles on your Wii forehand, take it easy.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
Wait what?

People are getting injured from 'over-wiing'? Wasn't this console supposed to actually be good for ya?
My brother's a nurse, and according to him there's actually a kind of injury related to carpal tunnel syndrome that you can get by playing too much Wii. I can only assume that they're doin it rong, cos I've never had any problems. Except with Wii Play. That bubble match... thing game drives me crazy.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
nilcypher said:
[Gavo said:
]Wow...just...wow.
L.B. Jeffries said:
Further evidence that the Power Glove needs to be brought back.
That would be fun.
It wasn't fun the first time round, why would this time be any different?
I think he meant as a reminder to us all of how bad novelty control methods have been throughout gaming history.
I don't know about you, but I love the Power Glove! It's so Bad!

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
Funny, they're talking about the dangers of playing the Wii in relation to movement and other exercises, but the picture shows them holding the Wiimote sideways in the "harmless controller position".