How to Get Your War Z Refund From Steam

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
How to Get Your War Z Refund From Steam

We imagine there will be a lot of these tickets flying into Valve's inbox over the next 48 hours or so, so keep in mind that it may be a while before you see your credit pop back into your PayPal account or credit card ledger. Also, be sure to check your email spam folder to ensure that updates to the status of your ticket aren't missed.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks for that tip.

I already knew how to request a refund through Steam, but this is one of those things that never hurts to be reminded of.

Also, anyone still willing to argue that War Z was not a shameless cash grab riding off the explosive success of Day Z?

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
N3squ1ck said:
I just checked Steam and you actually can't buy the War Z anymore (the store page is still there, but the "buy" button is gone)
Could be because of country restrictions though, that tends to happen in Germany, but normally you can't even see the page of a blocked game here.

I'm here in the US and I just checked steam. When I searched for it, it still shows the price, but the buy button is gone for me, as well.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
R.Nevermore said:
Now can we stop all of the rampant valve bashing in regards to this whole mess?
Nahh people are having way too much enjoyment out of that to cut it out. It is like an addiction I tell you.

OT: Good on you Valve. Everybody should draw the line somewhere.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
gigastar said:
Also, anyone still willing to argue that War Z was not a shameless cash grab riding off the explosive success of Day Z?
It not exactly a bad game or a wanna-be DayZ. It does a lot of things good, with decent graphics. Problem is the Executive Producer is not very professional and sometimes seems to not know what he is doing. They treat their player base like crap and pretty much lie about game features. Shame because like I said it is not a bad game at all.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
R.Nevermore said:
Now can we stop all of the rampant valve bashing in regards to this whole mess?
no, I think that Valve do need a bit of a kick up the ass for they lack of quality control they do.

Roccondil

Mar 17, 2011
Nexxis said:
N3squ1ck said:
I just checked Steam and you actually can't buy the War Z anymore (the store page is still there, but the "buy" button is gone)
Could be because of country restrictions though, that tends to happen in Germany, but normally you can't even see the page of a blocked game here.

I'm here in the US and I just checked steam. When I searched for it, it still shows the price, but the buy button is gone for me, as well.
Of course you can't buy it anywhere! As stated in the article, it has been pulled from the virtual store shelves. Anyways, why would you try buying it only to get a refund immediately?

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Roccondil said:
Nexxis said:
Of course you can't buy it anywhere! As stated in the article, it has been pulled from the virtual store shelves. Anyways, why would you try buying it only to get a refund immediately?
I wasn't it. I was just letting N3squ1ck know that what he was viewing also pertained to the US, not just Germany. The buying option was pulled, but the game page is still there. I had no interest in buying the game even when it was available XD. I kept an eye on it because I did have a friend that was interested in it when he first heard about it before it was released.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I asked for my refund stating that I was mislead by the original description and i got back a generic this is a one off refund message. I wasn't expecting them to address me personally but I was expecting a bit of a more personalized response to the War z issues.

All i can say is i wish i never brought it, and steam really do need to check on the games they sell or this sort of thing will happen again and again.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Valve is not my favorite company in the world, but you can't argue that once they make a mistake they do everything they can to fix it. Within days the game is pulled, refunds offered and the whole situation is cleared up. They could have easily made it incredibly difficult for people to get refunds and hope people don't bother like many companies would have done. Whatever about the mistake they made, they accepted it and are rectifying it. Can't really ask for anything more. And I am sure they will take steps to prevent this happening again. They are losing money here too.

chiatt

Oct 10, 2009
It does feel like a quick rip. It largely plays off DayZ, but without the large map and sense of exploration. It plays even more like a straight PVP game than DayZ, which is saying something, and has a similar issue with hacks and exploits. Many of the features that we expected in the beta are still not quite there, or missing completely, and there are huge design issues, such as item spawns, and, despite the people and zombies, what feels like a truly empty and boring world. You can't enter most buildings and of the few buildings you can enter, there's nothing besides loot inside. No doors, no busted furniture... nothing. Buildings are either closed off or empty shells. Which fits in with the overall lack of scenic variety. There are a few immobile cars and the odd dumpster or fence, but that's about all you'll find.

That said, there are some promising ideas, such as skills and experience, multiple maps, and strongholds. But there's no telling how long you will be expected to wait for them to be fleshed out or released.

(As a disclaimer: I haven't loaded it up in a month or so. Things might be better now, but given the interweb's reaction to the Steam release, I have my doubts.)

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
This game was just The War Inc. re-skinned to add zombies and blatantly rip off DayZ's title. I mean they copypasted League of Legends' Term of Service. This game had Forbes basically calling it a cash grab. The fact that this game came out only days ago and is out of the Steam Store is proof enough.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
This game was just The War Inc. re-skinned to add zombies and blatantly rip off DayZ's title. I mean they copypasted League of Legends' Term of Service. This game had Forbes basically calling it a cash grab. The fact that this game came out only days ago and is out of the Steam Store is proof enough.
I still get acerbic chuckles whenever I read their executive producer's comments about the game's inception, predictably written in bad English.

"Oh yes! The War Z game comes back to years ago! Is not rip-off or copy! Do not trust WHOIS record for site; is mistake! Not from months ago only; from YEARS ago before DayZ! We have plenty features because idiots need fleecing over- I mean, because we love games! Yes! So much!

Please play Big Rigs too. Is good game. Misunderstood game. Yes."

I'm obviously not directly quoting the guy because my memory is shit, but I remember the gist of his comments. It made me think of Heavy Weapons Guy's shady unsuccessful cousin.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
The game was release 10/15/12. The name came from the book World WarZ/ War Inc. The map is pretty large, about half the size of DayZ. While there is some artwork from War Inc., I wish they would have used more, there some pretty good assets in War Inc. that would go well with Zombie Apocalypse. Most of the stuff on WarZ is original artwork.

What pisses me off is that Titov said a couple days ago in the private forums that they were scrapping the Skill system because the test players hated it, but he said today interview that it was a planned feature. The only problem with this game is the Executive Producer is an idiot.

Zapperdude

Mar 19, 2009
Nice of you to make this guide.

Sadly I was stupid enough to buy this earlier from their website. Anyone able to help a noob get his money back?

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
This guy Sergey Titov seems like the used car salesman of the gaming world. Paying to respawn? I hope Bob Kotick wasn't paying attention, he'll drown in his own drool.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Baldr said:
Most of the stuff on WarZ is original artwork.
Most of the artwork being original is somehow supposed to be a defence of the game? ALL of the artwork should be original, otherwise it's not legal unless it has been licensed. And there's evidence that they ripped off artwork from the TV show The Walking Dead, among other places.

That the game's executive producer is an idiot (also a liar and scammer) is far from the game's only problem.