Square Enix Teases More Final Fantasy on iOS

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Square Enix Teases More Final Fantasy on iOS

Final Fantasy IV is available now on iOS, and Final Fantasy V is the next game in Square Enix's "mobile revolution."

To accompany the release of Final Fantasy IV on iOS today, Square Enix has a new trailer for the enhanced remake of the 21-year-old RPG. As you would expect, the video highlights some features of the mobile version of FFIV, like voice acting and selectable levels of difficulty. It also reveals that additional Final Fantasy titles will be coming to iOS, starting with Final Fantasy V at some indeterminate point in the future.

"The Final Fantasy mobile revolution begins... Final Fantasy V and more..." is the tease that appears in text at the end of the trailer. There's no way of knowing what Square Enix means by "more," but the most obvious speculation is that Final Fantasy VI could be coming after FFV. Beyond that, maybe we'll see the PS1 Final Fantasy games make their way to iOS, or maybe Square Enix is developing original titles using the Final Fantasy name.

Perhaps we'll have to wait until a launch trailer for FFVI on iOS before we know more about Square Enix's "mobile revolution." If you're interested in picking up Final Fantasy IV, you can download it for the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch now for $15.99.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5970129/square-enix-will-bring-final-fantasy-v-and-more-games-to-ios]

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Square trying desperately to get people to remember when the series was decent.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I'm sad they went with the DS version instead of the well polished sprites of the FF: complete edition for the PSP. No purchase for me. I have the DS version and it sucks.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
GAunderrated said:
I'm sad they went with the DS version instead of the well polished sprites of the FF: complete edition for the PSP. No purchase for me. I have the DS version and it sucks.
I was going to say exactly this; It's a shame they went with the terrible DS version over the incredible PSP remake.

Also, as much as I like the idea of having more Final Fantasy games available on my iOS devices, I do hope they take the time to correct some issues with the older games, or at least pick out ports that actually did undergo some improvements. Take Final Fantasy V, for example. If the iOS version of that isn't based on the GBA version of the game, then Square are doing ports entirely wrong.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
They know the old style FF games are popular, yet every time they decide to make a new game they ignore them and keep making the same mistakes. No, no, what people really want from their rpg is computer destroying graphics, not deep story and fun game play. -_-

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I'd like to see more Final Fantasy on Android.

I have Final Fantasy II, but I'm till hungry for more.
IV, V and VI would be great, even if I do own them on PS1.

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Ironic how I have both the first FInal Fantasy and Chrono Trigger on iPhone and I have barely touch them, and yet I still look forward to more of these releases. Probably gonna buy FFVII, FFVIII & FFIX without a moment's thought should they ever be released on iPhone...which I'm pretty sure they will eventually...

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Am I the only one that really liked the DS version? :( I liked the concept of carrying special abilities over between playthroughs.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
How many damn times are they going to release this game? It wasn't even that good, they need to get around to remaking Final Fantasy V and VI on the 3DS.

Jan 22, 2011
Crono1973 said:
How many damn times are they going to release this game? It wasn't even that good, they need to get around to remaking Final Fantasy V and VI on the 3DS.
You and me are going to get into a fight, final fantasy IV is what defines a true classic FF game.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Meh .... Love FF4 But the thing is..... FF5 and FF6 haven't been touched in a long time, i did liked the FF4 ds remake but i would rather see FF5/FF6...... BUT! IPAD? 4 real? -.- ... iff they do release FF6 with new style graphics ill have to buy an "I something" to play it, Android please!!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
GAunderrated said:
Yeah, I have don't know why they felt compelled to 3d-ize the game. Just dig up the original art and re-scan it in HD, or make new art. One of the things I liked about Hell Yeah was that it didn't try and look retro, or try and get all 3d gimmicky, it literally just showed that 2d with proper HD art can still look pretty damn impressive of itself.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
/sigh, Final fantasy legitimately on I products.

Guess the cycle of suck is now complete.

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
The DS remake was fine imo...game play-wise but my god the voice acting was BEYOND bad
I actually laughed at it a few times..and I wasn't supposed to be.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
I know its a massive JRPG but for a phone game I feel like $15.99 is a big ask. Also I bet it will absolutely devour your battery like a guy above me already said.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
Crono1973 said:
You and me are going to get into a fight, final fantasy IV is what defines a true classic FF game.
***** please. IX is the one true Final Fantasy.

But yeah I only got a 3DS myself in the way of Portables. Get FFI-VI on the fucking virtual console at least you pricks.