Susan's Five Favorites of 2012

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
Apart from Dishonored (Which I haven't played.) I have to agree with all of your choices here! I also just knew that Persona 4 Golden was going to be in there, since you told me how much you were looking forward to playing it at the expo.

Also, admittedly I was one of those people who weren't very keen on the idea of Tokyo Jungle, but after playing it recently - it's just so darn fun. :3

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Do I get a Vita and P4 Golden(As I'm replaying P4 right now), or do I wait until after I acquire a case of Gatecrash?(Especially with 90 dollar/box pre-order).

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Since Journey, Tokyo Jungle, and most of the games on PS Plus entice me and are only for PlayStation 3, it's going to take quite a shock from Mario/Zelda on E3 2013 to make me decide to get a Wii U instead of a PS3 next summer break.

EDIT: I just realized that, while Justin is mainly a PC gamer judging from his favorites, Susan is a PS3/Vita gamer judging from her favorites.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
I have yet to play Journey... May do it as one of my Lets Plays in Jan.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Journey just became my favourite game full stop, never mind of this year. I spent so much time with my companion that when I eventually lost my way and we got separated, never to see each other again, I felt genuine sadness. Such a beautiful experience.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
I wish Journey was available on PC. I don't own any of the the current gen of consoles, and Journey is one of only a few games that make me regret that fact.

Oh well, there's still FTL, Minecraft and a constant wealth of surprisingly good indie games in general. It's not all bad..

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I agree with ya about Journey. I HATE having to play with other people I don't even know, but Journey made it a wonderful experience almost every time I played.

Also, I do not fault you for making room for Mass Effect.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mass Effect 3 should not have made this list due to the artistically indulgent forest sequences :) I kid (any game can make anyone's list) I just wish ME3 took the ball from ME2 and ran with it, while I felt ME3 basically kicked a field goal in comparison to ME2. If that makes sense. Quite amazing what BioWare did with the series in terms of storytelling, though.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Agree totally about Padok Wiks. I did a playthrough with him and thought he was just as awesome as Mordin.

Love seeing Dishonored and The Walking Dead up here as well. It hurts so much seeing Journey winning all these awards when I still haven't been able to play it (on account of not having a PS3).

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'd play Journey if it wasn't $30 on the PSN in New Zealand.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
The Persona games are starting to get really frustrating for me. Everybody keeps telling me how great they are and I just can't get myself to like them. I bought Persona 3 after several people on the internet told me it was great. I got half way through it, but for reasons I will cover in a moment, I gave up and have never touched it again.
Then Persona 4 came out and everybody said it improved on 3 in every way so I bought it and gave it a shot. Still can not get my self to complete it.

It basically boils down to two things. One is the calendar system. I do not enjoy being so constrained in what activities I can do. I am bad at playing a game more than once so I always try to get everything in my first go. I focused so much on what I was missing out on and if I was getting the best "deal". Knowing that I could not befriend every one to the max level annoyed me so much, which is ironic seeing as:

Two. I do not like the social link system. This is really me being weird but I felt so manipulative when I played it. Because of the rewards from getting high social links (and coupled together with the limited time available) I always gave people the answer they wanted instead of what I felt. Sure I could tell the stuck up girl I thought she was a pain in the ass but what about my personas? Yet always being "fake" to all of them to get a reward made me feel horrible.

You know writing this really makes me feel I need to go see a professional. I play games in a weird way.

Liked the list otherwise :)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Kingjackl said:
Agree totally about Padok Wiks. I did a playthrough with him and thought he was just as awesome as Mordin.
Wasn't he just a Mordin reskin? You know, going through the same steps but with different dialogue.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Kingjackl said:
Wasn't he just a Mordin reskin? You know, going through the same steps but with different dialogue.
Technically yes, but he was a completely different character. He was more spiritual and trying to cure the genophage not out of a sense of guilt or pragmatism, but because he genuinely believed it was the right thing to do. He's basically the Paragon Mordin.

He's also a massive dork. He has a rather creepy moment on the Normandy med-lab where he fantasizes about krogan sex and refers to Eve as "Krogan of Female Persuasion". During the scene at the krogan meeting place where he's surrounded by all the burly alien brutes, you can just tell he's worrying about having his lunch money stolen or thinking about that D&D campaign he'll never get to finish.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Kingjackl said:
-Dragmire- said:
Kingjackl said:
Technically yes, but he was a completely different character. He was more spiritual and trying to cure the genophage not out of a sense of guilt or pragmatism, but because he genuinely believed it was the right thing to do. He's basically the Paragon Mordin.

He's also a massive dork. He has a rather creepy moment on the Normandy med-lab where he fantasizes about krogan sex and refers to Eve as "Krogan of Female Persuasion". During the scene at the krogan meeting place where he's surrounded by all the burly alien brutes, you can just tell he's worrying about having his lunch money stolen or thinking about that D&D campaign he'll never get to finish.
Heh, sounds hilarious.

Thanks, I had figured he'd be some kind of cop out like Mordin's secret twin or something like that.

Before ME3 came out I had hoped Mealon had been able to come back and finish the cure. Too bad he only got an email sendoff.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Susan's top five games from 2012.
Pretty good list. Dishonored being in there was a plus, but Walking Dead and Journey taking the top spots made me smile. There is one thing that somewhat confused me though: At one point you mentioned that you have one game in your top 5 (or 6) list every year where no one understands why it's there and no one knows what it is. You then mention that last year's game was Bastion. The weird thing about that is that Bastion was an incredibly popular and critically acclaimed game the week it was released and it is still widely praised today.

Draxz said:
I have yet to play Journey... May do it as one of my Lets Plays in Jan.
You could do that, but I do have to recommend against it (even though I know my opinion holds no value). Journey is more of a personal...well...Journey, and due to the nature of LP's, being forced to talk and comment on everything that's happening might (and probably will) take away from the experience you may or may not get from playing the game.
Your choice however you want to play it of course and I sincerely hope you enjoy the game as much as I did.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
For the record, everyone met Padok Wiks. He still appears if Mordin is alive, although only briefly.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
They're not show tunes, they're comic opera songs.

But I do have to agree. It made everyone care so much, it is something incredible.
Might hate ME3, might love it, then there's the ending, the romance, everything else, but people just seem to care a lot. I think it's quite an achievement on its own.