The Escapist's Game of the Year 2012

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
In before people accuse the site of being bought out by EA despite this being a community based vote.

Shame TWD didn't take it but it got second, which is just as good. Kinda.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Huh, you'd think with all the ME3 whining, it would be lower. Personally I think The Walking Dead deserves it more.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Oh this should be rich. I'm going to hang out here just to watch the rage. That said, I'm pleased Dishonored (my pick) ranked well.

Space commando 75

May 11, 2012
Incoming flame war. Take cover.

I voted for x-com because it was one of the few games played this year pity id didn't win.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Quick, someone get Zeel back!

:D

I've got to say, though I voted for Far Cry 3, I'm pleased ME3 won. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.
Plus now that I've got X-Com, I really want someone to make a ME version.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Blunderboy said:
Quick, someone get Zeel back!

:D

I've got to say, though I voted for Far Cry 3, I'm pleased ME3 won. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.
Plus now that I've got X-Com, I really want someone to make a ME version.
This thread would be on page 5 by now if Zeel was still around. I'm actually surprised ME3 came out on top in this community.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Hmm, I am a bit surprised that Journey in not in top 5. But, since it is a single-console exclusive, I shouldn't have expected a lot.
Sixth place is nice too.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
ME3 for the most part is a good game, but when you have a horrendously botched ending, that should have excluded it as GOTY.
No, its just not a bad ending, its a horrendously botched ending.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I find the top ten split to be more interesting than just game of the year.

Half of the top ten, and 3/5 of the top 5 were actual brand new IPs. That is a rather interesting set of statements from the community. It's even more interesting when you consider that the actual split between new IP and sequel for the list of 20 was just in favor of sequel at 11/9.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Wait, seriously?

After all that, after the constant threads and complaints about it, Mass Effect 3 gets voted game of the year? I don't even...

Ah well, I'm glad my personal GOTY (Borderlands 2) is in the top 10.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm quite pleased to see that the results were so leveled, instead of everyone going for one thing.

Also I've noticed a trend of Mass Effect 3 winning a lot of community-voted game of the year awards...

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Hazy992 said:
After all that, after the constant threads and complaints about it, Mass Effect 3 gets voted game of the year? I don't even...
Murmillos said:
ME3 for the most part is a good game, but when you have a horrendously botched ending, that should have excluded it as GOTY.
No, its just not a bad ending, its a horrendously botched ending.
Like most games, it's likely that most people who played it never finished the game. And out of those that did, there's a chance that a lot of them didn't care in light of the rest of the game (or reached the end post patch). The many people posting about how terrible the whole game is (due to the last few minutes) are likely still a "vocal minority" compared to the people who otherwise enjoyed the game.

People who enjoyed things rarely bother to post on forums about it, unless they have something unusual or unknown to discuss. People who have a few minutes of lag connecting to a server, or something poke their video card the wrong way once will sometimes post with great emotion about their lost time/etc. The occasional negative posting (some percentage of people with a specific problem) ends up seeming much higher because the typical response a person with a good experience has to offer is "it worked for me"/"I enjoyed the game throughout" - which doesn't hold up against paragraphs of vitriol. That is, if that person even cares enough to respond rather then just playing the game/haven't encountered the problem and aren't looking to talk about such things.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aerosteam said:
I'm quite pleased to see that the results were so varied, instead of everyone going for one thing.

Also I've noticed a trend of Mass Effect 3 winning a lot of community-voted game of the year awards...
Vocal minority, silent majority.

It's still a thing, you know.

OT: Called it. I'm surprised Far Cry 3 wasn't in the top five, though.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Spec Ops: The Line got third? I'm surprised that many people played it. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely stoked that it got so high, it definitely deserves it. It's just that I'm very surprised that it achieved it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Faster Than Light doesn't even get a loser's... I mean, an honourable mention?
EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't see it because it was abbreviated. ~4%? Not that bad for a small indie title.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I voted Mass Effect 3 less because of the game itself, but more because of the entire trilogy. It was nice seeing a great story come to a close, even if the ending wasn't great. Despite the ending, ME3 had fantastic storytelling and it was the best game I played this year. I'm glad it won, though from what I hear, Walking Dead might have deserved it.