Cheating Allegations Lead to "Strip Search" of Chess Player

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cheating Allegations Lead to "Strip Search" of Chess Player

Suspicion quickly fell on the previously unheralded player who defeated four grandmasters, but nobody knows how he did it.

Bulgarian chess player Borislav Ivanov had a pretty good run at a tournament in Zadar, Croatia last month. He came in third with a record of 5-1-2, earning 60 tournament points while defeating four grandmasters and a "strong master." The only problem is that he's a low-ranked master who since mid-2011 had earned just one single tournament point. His FIDE rating, which had previously peaked at 2227 in 2011, shot up to 2342 this month.

That has an awful lot of chess observers convinced that he's cheating. He was reportedly "strip searched" at the tournament, although it turned out that he just had to remove his shirt, turn out his pockets and submit his pen for inspection, but nothing was found. Even so, Croatian grandmaster Zlatko Klaric insisted that some kind of shenanigans were going on.

"Ivanov is chess [computer] programmer, who since mid-2011 until now had won only one rating point, while at the Zadar tournament he won 60. He made moves like a computer, which was obvious in the game vs Jovanovic," he said. "Technologies are so developed now that theoretically, since the games were aired live, Ivanov's friends in the neighboring room, from Sofia, or even from the Antarctic, could have sent him hints for his moves through chips, which could have been placed under the skin, in the ear, or in the teeth."

That sounds a little crazy, but Klaric's theory is reinforced by the nature of Ivanov's losses at the Zadar tournament. The first loss occurred in "a long game in a closed position," which the New York Times says computers perform poorly in, during which he made a "rudimentary mistake" that led to his defeat. The second and final defeat came after organizers stopped broadcasting matches over the internet, so that any potential accomplices wouldn't be able to see what was going on.

Computer science professor and international master Kenneth Regan ran Ivanov's moves through a mathematical modeling system based on tens of thousands of games that he's spent the last five years creating. His findings would appear to support the cheating hypothesis, as he said Ivanov had the highest "move performance score" he'd ever seen, surpassing even that of the highest-rated chess player of all time. Even if Ivanov had a rating around 2700, which would put him among the world's best, he played "well above what a world-class player normally would and more like a computer."

And yet, nobody can figure out how he pulled it off. ChessBase has gone as far as to solicit help from the public. "We would be interested to know if anyone finds suspicious correlation of Ivanov's moves with that of a chess engine, e.g. Houdini," the site wrote. "Especially in view of the very sharp, tactical games Ivanov played, successfully, against strong GM opposition, this could be a fairly important task."

Anyone?

Sources: New York Times [http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8751]

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Maybe he achieved Chess Enlightenment [http://xkcd.com/232/]?

Wait, no. That's probably not it...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's weird having a competitive game that can be beaten by computers, you actually sort of check if you made the right move in any situation.

I really want to know how he managed it if he did. There are too many options for moves to do the cough once for yes thing, there must have been a really clever system to be able to inform him of the correct move without it being incredibly obvious. In some ways I'm almost more impressed that/if he managed to cheat than that he did so well in a tournament

EDIT: Oh looks like it might not necessarily be that impressive. One person a while back just had them text him the answers
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8370

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ivanov, your skills have become almost machine like, you have actually managed to gain more pieces then you started with... wait a minute, these are Connect4 counters and Kinder Egg toys!!!

Sorry, when you mentioned cheating at chess this is the only method I could think of.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I can see this taking a dramatically different turn:

Cop 1-"Sir, hands in the air!"

Cop 2- "HE'S GOT A ROOK, TAKE HIM DOWN!"

XX Y XY

Apr 2, 2011
I would bet 10:1 he has a small device embedded in either his shoes or his underwear that deliver a set of light taps that correspond to positions on the board.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
PunkRex said:
Ivanov, your skills have become almost machine like, you have actually managed to gain more pieces then you started with... wait a minute, these are Connect4 counters and Kinder Egg toys!!!

Sorry, when you mentioned cheating at chess this is the only method I could think of.
A pair of queens up his sleeve?

It is a tricky situation, especially if only when performing without a live feed he was defeatable.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
My theory is that, instead of having somebody send him moves, he just had extra chess pieces up his sleeves that he sneaked onto the board when nobody was looking. It makes so much more sense!

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
ohnoitsabear said:
My theory is that, instead of having somebody send him moves, he just had extra chess pieces up his sleeves that he sneaked onto the board when nobody was looking. It makes so much more sense!
I'd thought that too prior to reading the part of the article about the only time(s) he lost was when the live feed was down and when the room was effecting computer broadcast signals. Those two things give clear indication of a Wi-Fi info feed being streamed to him by some 3rd party watching the matches live. Now, the thing they should have done is searched him with both a metal detector and a wireless signal reader (yes, they do have those, my old place of employment handled large financial information databanks and the security ran random sweeps weekly....seen people fired over just having a cellphone on with them).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
weirdguy said:
they may have to check to see if he's a robot
That got me thinking - what if he is? Is there a rule that only living people can be in the tournament? Imagine that "Sir, we just found out that half the people on the tournament are robots, what do we do? Also, of the rest, a quarter are undead, three are aliens masquerading as humans, two are humans masquerading as each other, one has ascended to a new plane of existence and only the part of his being that intersects with our dimension is playing." Hmm, I'd actually definitely watch that. Heck, I think you could make a decent chess game, where you have to out-cheat your opponents and everybody is some sort of weird non-human being, yet they all have to pretend they are human.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Maybe, and I'm going out on a very long limb here, he's just really good at chess?

Maybe he practiced a lot. Not like "couple-hours-a-day" a lot, but more like "holy shit I have nothing else in life time to practice 24/7" a lot.

I mean, the article says he's a programmer (of chess games nonetheless) and having experience in programming I can say that it does develop memory and logical/critical thinking skills, so theoretically this guy could have just extensively studied the top tactics and/or the common tactics of his opponents (if he knew who he was facing beforehand) and just memorized the best moves for those situations. It sounds incredulous, but remember, there are people that can recite the value of pi to at least 100,000 digits from memory. This seems like child's play compared to that.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I have a different theory. He must be getting directions from a 600 year old ghost of a grand-master chess player. He likely discovered the ghost after touching an old, haunted chess board in his attic on day. The Ghost just wants to play chess so he posses the man's body to experience the thrill of playing again. The guy is slowly building his skill on his own, however because he doesn't want to rely on the Grand-Master's skill, he wants to win by his own will so he constantly plays against the ghost and is slowly improving.

Or wait... I was just thinking of something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikaru_no_Go

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Could it be that, as a COMPUTER CHESS PROGRAMMER he may have devised a relatively easy (for him anyway) algorithm or some such to think somewhat like a computer?

I don't see why this is implausible.

I think its kind of disgusting that because egos he must be cheating because he can't possibly have improved to win a couple of games against GMs.

Or maybe he just had a string of good luck?

How about innocent until proven guilty? How about any physical evidence that he was cheating? No there isn't any?

I know it because it's "just a chess tournament" but imagine shit like this was pulled in a high profile sport? OMG this basketball player is so good he must be on drugs. Lets figure out a way to prove his on drugs, even though there isn't any real evidence that he is...

Much the same and would cause a fucking UPROAR.

Oh well, maybe i'm reading too much into it

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Maybe it was like the LOL incident and he just looked over his shoulder at the giant monitor behind him?

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
DoPo said:
weirdguy said:
they may have to check to see if he's a robot
That got me thinking - what if he is? Is there a rule that only living people can be in the tournament? Imagine that "Sir, we just found out that half the people on the tournament are robots, what do we do? Also, of the rest, a quarter are undead, three are aliens masquerading as humans, two are humans masquerading as each other, one has ascended to a new plane of existence and only the part of his being that intersects with our dimension is playing." Hmm, I'd actually definitely watch that. Heck, I think you could make a decent chess game, where you have to out-cheat your opponents and everybody is some sort of weird non-human being, yet they all have to pretend they are human.
As long as no unicorns are allowed, I'm game.

Zen Toombs said:
Wait, you AREN'T supposed to strip while playing chess?
Well, seems Ivanov did have a winning streak...

TheSYLOH said:
OMG BOT!
CALL GM!
PERMA BAN HIM FROM CHESS!!
Easily solved with captcha.