Bohemia Developers Finally Return Home

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Bohemia Developers Finally Return Home

Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar get a rapturous reception at the airport as they fly in from Greece.

Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar, the two Bohemia Interactive developers the Greek government accused of espionage, have returned home after posting bail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121519-Greece-Releases-Detained-Arma-III-Developers-on-Bail]. They were greeted by crowds of family and well-wishers at the airport as they arrived.

"They're home! And smiling!" Dean 'Rocket' Hall helpivanmartin.org [https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/statuses/291851470867935232?tw_i=291851470867935232&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed], but English translations are not available at time of writing.

Both developers seemed to be in good spirits, after their 129 day ordeal. "We can't complain," said Buchta [http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/domaci/211305-cesti-spioni-dorazili-do-prahy-nejhorsi-je-psychika-vzkazuji/], adding that they had been treated fairly in prison. Pezlar was happy to be in the Czech Republic again, and wanted to spend time with his family, finding out what had been going on at home while he was away.

There's still no concrete word as to what will happen next to the Bohemia pair. Having posted their €5,000 ($6,600) bail, they were free to go home, but Greece, which put a fair amount of effort into catching them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121414-Arma-3-Spies-Hope-For-Appeal], has yet to publicly announce its next course of action.

Source: helpivanmartin.org [http://www.helpivanmartin.org/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really can't imagine going through something like this. These guys are real troopers to be in such high spirits... then again, I am sure anyone would be when they're reuniting with loved ones after not seeing them for 129+ days straight.

RA6475

Apr 11, 2011
Man I would love if they would be back in Czechoslovakia but unfortunately this country no longer exists. It was 20 years since our "velvet divorce" just this new year. So they are back in Czech Republic.

Anyway, I'm glad that they are back and hope all this gets resolved soon.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I hope them and their government gives the Greek government the finger and says "SUCK IT" when the trial comes back up.
I would if I was in charge of the country.

"No you cant have them...but you can have this:"

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
tmande2nd said:
I hope them and their government gives the Greek government the finger and says "SUCK IT" when the trial comes back up.

But still you know that getting pictures of military installations is illegal, in any county right?

I cannot imagine that in any other country the same case would have been dealt differently.
On the other hand i might be wrong since I have no idea, and i assume neither do you, how law works in different countries for accusations like this.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
panosbouk said:
tmande2nd said:

But still you know that getting pictures of military installations is illegal, in any county right?

I cannot imagine that in any other country the same case would have been dealt differently.
On the other hand i might be wrong since I have no idea, and i assume neither do you, how law works in different countries for accusations like this.
As a former USA military member I can tell you that is not true. For example there are areas of USA bases that not only can you photograph, they are open to the public with that in mind. For the most part anything that the military does not want you taking a picture of, is so far away you could not get a line of sight. The area they were in was a public area so this charge was all bullshit from the beginning.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
panosbouk said:
tmande2nd said:

upset-businessman-giving-middle-finger-to-boss-dof-focus-on-hand-snip

As someone who was personally reprimanded by an army guardsman for taking illegal pictures of a military installation I can tell you that the official line is generally a telling off by a very grumpy heavily armed man.

This was in Belfast in Northern Ireland, which even now is still a volatile country if you're in the armed forces, He just scolded us and told us not to do it again, didn't even bother to make us delete the pictures! But he did say that he had been stationed in Germany and America, and if this sort of thing happened there we would have had our recording equipment confiscated and destroyed. After he had calmed down he admitted this sort of thing happens every few days with tourists, it's a common occurrence in every country that happens all the time.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeahhhhhhhhh, you're not getting them back Greece.
This is the attitude I feel any country should adopt when we retrieve a citizen from another country's shitty legal system. If Greece decides they want to put them on trial, the Czech government should refuse to extradite them, under the "What are you gonna do about it?" clause. Because what are they gonna do about it? Greece can't afford to commit any military actions against anybody right now.

It's the same thing I said about Amanda Knox when we got her back from Italy. If Italy ever decided "Hey, we want her back for more court proceedings." We should just say "No. Your legal system is even shittier than ours, and that's saying something." and refuse to extradite her. Because what is Italy going to do about it? Invade the most powerful military in the world?

And even military action is unrealistic. No country is going to invade another over some petty case involving one or two individuals. No nation could justify an invasion for that reason. So really, there isn't anything Greece can do to the Czech to force an extradition. Personally, I think countries extradite people too easily. Ruling out all of those particularly screwed up cases where somebody gets extradited for something that isn't even a crime in his country of origin, I feel that nations don't stand by their people often enough in this way. I could respect a country that says, "No, you can't have them back. Your legal system is bad and you should feel bad."

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Greece might leave them alone now they've sucked all that money from them. Then again they could very well fine them even more money.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
panosbouk said:
tmande2nd said:

no it is not
You can find pictures of military bases online through google maps which are very detailed satellite pictures, so it is not illeagal, at best you will be scolded but not arrested and held for 129 days without appeal

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
tmande2nd said:

Yeah I'm waiting for the developers to start thumbnosing Greece on Twitter. It's what I'd do.