Too Human Disappears from Xbox Marketplace

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Too Human Disappears from Xbox Marketplace

Ragnarok has come and gone for the Norse action/RPG from Silicon Knights.

If you've been following the harrowing story of Silicon Knights, you'll know that things Too Human [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120568-Silicon-Knights-Must-Destroy-Its-Works-By-December], a futuristic action/RPG with Norse mythology trappings. Silicon Knights appears to have complied with this order, even in the digital realm. Too Human and every bit of media associated with it have vanished from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Whether Microsoft, Silicon Knights, or some other entity entirely pulled this content is hard to say, but the downloads are unavailable nonetheless. Previously, users could purchase the full Too Human game, the demo, and a number of themes and avatar pictures. The game's official Xbox page [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Too-Human/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307de] is still up, meaning that the content could return at some point, but Silicon Knights likely has bigger things to worry about right now. That, and most people who wanted the content probably bought it ages ago.

Those who are interested in playing Too Human Hel [http://www.amazon.com/Too-Human-Xbox-360/dp/B000R0SS3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358530531&sr=8-1&keywords=too+human] will prepare to receive her latest shipment of digital goods in the underworld, where there probably isn't much else to do, anyway.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-18-too-human-and-associated-content-pulled-from-xbox-marketplace]

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Aww man, this feels wrong. Yes Silicon Knights may have been a totally worthless, talentless, obtuse, boring game company, and even in the amazing fluke that was Eternal Darkness there were a lot of bad design decisions, but still this feels like a destruction of art. Bad art yes but still art.

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Alas Too Human, I knew thee well. Good thing I have you nestled securely in my catalogue.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I've had it since I bought the game the day after launch. Yes it was a VERY bad game but I think it still had some decent ideas even if the execution was terrible.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I feel like I am the only one who even found a minute amount of enjoyment from this game. >.> Sure it wasn't necessarily the greatest game in the world, but for what it was worth, I salvaged some fun out of it.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Smolderin said:
I feel like I am the only one who even found a minute amount of enjoyment from this game. >.> Sure it wasn't necessarily the greatest game in the world, but for what it was worth, I salvaged some fun out of it.
I rather liked the final boss. You could discern her attack patterns, learn to get around them, and develop a strategy beyond just "chip away at her health while dying a lot." Most of the stages, unfortunately, didn't follow that pattern. There was also no reliable way to heal, which meant you had very little choice except to die frequently and watch that interminable Valkyrie cutscene... bah, I could write a laundry list of things I didn't like about Too Human. I do agree that it had some good ideas, and I did play all the way to the end. As soon as the game showed some promise, though, it ended.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I actually really liked Too Human and wished the rest of the series was made. It's in my top 20 favorite games (not near the top mind you but considering the thousands of games I've played thats still pretty good).

It's one of the games I still go back to play every so often on my Xbox360 (mainly play PS3 games now...and only have a few Xbox360 games I ever bother with).

Was actually quite a good game in my opinion....really rewarding player skill (while allowing anyone to play through it...just taking more time and dying alot).

Wish more people had enjoyed it as much as I did.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I actually LIKED the game, and find this terrible news. I was honestly hoping that someday they would finish the supposed trilogy. Yeah, sure, it had its issues, and the camera angle could get VERY aggravating, but it was NOT a broken, unplayable game. I found it to be very fun, for the most part. My personal rating on the game only really took a hit when I started pursuing the epic armor. THAT was aggravating as hell. I think this is a shame, honestly.

Apparently, so does my captcha... "that's right", eh?

Subtitled

Aug 17, 2011
I vaguely recall that, as a part of them losing the lawsuit against Epic, that they had to round up and destroy all unsold copies of the game, or something to that effect. So I would imagine that that would also extend to the digital realm as well, and would explain why it was pulled from the Marketplace.

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong.

Edit: I'm an idiot who can't read well...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Does this mean there's going to be a huge black market demand for copies of Too Human? To the GameStop!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's a real shame to be honest because I definitely enjoyed Too Human, and I think I traded my game in.

Oh well, memories will have to do.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
But it was a good game... no one believes me, but it was, you just had to get past a few flaws... if you could, it was amazing...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Too Human had so many annoying flaws, but it had so many good ideas too. People give them crap for Too Human and X-men Destiny (deservedly so), but they're still the folks that created Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, Eternal Darkness, and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. They were a very solid studio with big ideas, big plans, and big dreams.

Too Human, however, WAS infuriatingly flawed. It wasn't broken, but it was highly unbalanced. Too much missed potential. Too much annoying problems that were never addressed. Too many infuriatingly bad decisions they put in the game on purpose. The frequent, unskippable death animation literally took up 10% of my game time. Various enemies would explode and give you status ailments you could do absolutely nothing about and you could only watch your character slowly burn or get poisoned to death. The camera was bonkers. The story dragged its feet. Levels were highly generic. Every single damn enemy had "rush right into his face" as their one and only strategy of attack. Various classes were almost useless without co-op. Enemies leveled up alongside you, meaning you could never actually get stronger or kill them faster. Much of the game involved bland, boring backtracking and slow running through the forest sections. The game had a few bugs and crashes too. It was a mess.

But... all that said... it had potential, and a sequel could've fixed many issues. And Silicon Knights did have great folks there once. But greed, hubris, ego, and arrogance ruined what could have been. Such a shame.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I always thought their story with Too Human was rather sad. It's a game that, on paper, has a lot of potential. Norse mythology mixed with some sci-fi shlock sounds awesome. But their obtuse combat engine, painfully punishing death penalty (bonus points for alliteration), and overall lack of polish really brought down what otherwise seemed like a game that had some big plans in the future for it, not to mention it's horrendously long development cycle. It's sad when a game that actually had some nice, creative thoughts behind it just doesn't meet the mark, or completely miss it, in Too Human's case.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
*Destroy all unsold copies.
*Buy all copies people are trying to sell on the cheap.
*Hope supply & demand is in your favor.
*Sell copies of your game at twice the price of initial release on eBay/Amazon Marketplace.

No one on the other side of the lawsuit would have any idea they were still making a profit from their games this way.