181: The Guilded Cage

Stephen Failey

Mar 31, 2008
The Guilded Cage

"Barry smiled and raised his sword to the skybox. 'Behold, guildmates! Dr. Funkentime has arrived to quell this uprising most evil. I have but one question to ask of my brothers in arms before we cut these heathens down. Do you feel funky? Because it's FUNKENTIME!'"

Two cubicle-dwelling brothers in arms lose everything to save their online world.

Read Full Article

CarlosYenrac

Nov 20, 2007
I suspect Ratcliff was just trying to distract them away from their battle up to his office so he could smash their clans unopposed, to they did the right thing. :D

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Im guessing Ratcliff was led by a competing company.

Great story, shame about the blackberry.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Nah. I'm Ratcliff!
This is a very light piece compared to the others I have read in Fiction Issues, and I totally welcome it. It has plenty of chuckle and comradery going for it, enough jargons for gamers, but not to the point that it alienates others.
Too bad nobody uses the word tweren't again later on.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
That was totally nerd!

I mean, no game should worth more than a suit 'n tie office job, at least here in Hungary. But that's probably the tiny speck of sanity talking in the quicksand of G4MeR.

Aside from the ending, though, it was quite well written, I enjoyed it. MOAR?

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
The dialogue on the last page really cracked me up. And I totally get this story, just replace work with school and it hits really close to home.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Today's TPFD is quite appropriate [http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/122808/world-of-warcraft-mini-games.gif].

-- Alex