181: The Moon Bearer

Ronald Meeus

Apr 28, 2008
The Moon Bearer

"'A small step for a man,' he hissed into the intercom as his lead-loaded soles stepped out of the airlock and sank into a dusty, malleable rock surface far more pristine than human history knew. Maybe someone at mission control would appreciate the joke, he thought. Just to do away with the absurdity of the endeavor."

A mysterious return trip to the moon's surface goes horrible awry.

Read Full Article

SlayerGhede

Jan 13, 2008
Magnus Of Weelilplace said:
pyromcr said:
i realy dont think that they faked apollo 11
But you dont know that they didnt. nor, most likely, will you ever.

also, i'd jump to for earth and burn up like a star.
You are right, you will never be 100% positive that they didn't fake the moon landing.

They could just have spend years fabricating artificial rocks unlike anything on earth. They could have painstakingly created fake micrometeoroid impact craters on said rocks, using advanced techniques hidden from the general populace to this day. They could have somehow exposed those rocks to radiation we just don't get on earth, due to the ameliorating effects of the magnetic fields.

With the amount of effort require to fake one rock, let alone the rest of the evidence supporting the authenticity of the landing, it would have been easier to send two guys to the moon and back.

Let's call it 99.999% sure, give or take a thousandth-percent.

If you would like to debate it, please submit some evidence for me to consider.

I liked the story, despite the aggravating premise that (this being the internet) is sure to aggravate more as more comments follow. I'd be lying if I said I loved it less for it. Heck, I probably enjoy it more, being the argumentative bastard I am. It had tension, emotional impact, and in my opinion, just a hint of madness sprinkled throughout.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
That was cool, I liked the way it was done, interesting yet short and sweet. Good stuff.

Silveressa

Apr 26, 2008
Fun story, and an interesting read. I agree with Slayer there's an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting we actually did land, but the "what if" of the stories premise jsut makes it that much more interesting.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Silveressa said:
Fun story, and an interesting read. I agree with Slayer there's an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting we actually did land, but the "what if" of the stories premise jsut makes it that much more interesting.
Agree. It's mystery that we seek, not firm solution. We want to find out new things, eternally exploring new frontiers. First it's the vastness of land, then sea, the air, the depth, the stars, and eventually fabric of reality and time itself.
A very compelling story. The fine line between facts and myths, between religion and practicality, is amazing. I like the parallel that is drawn between the "gods" and "mythical Heroes--Armstrong", and how the mystery kept people alive and hopeful.

Let me stress again--absolutely amazing short story. It really resonates with me.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
I'll have to say it immediately: The premise that Neil Armstrong never landed on the moon didn't just annoy me, it angered me.

Apparently Neil wasn't too pleased with the notion either ;) [http://astronomer.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=Manned&action=print&thread=393]

I've always pretty much ignored the "we never landed" theorists anyway though. I can remember a friend of mine in high school coming in one day saying he'd seen this amazing "documentary" on TV explaining how we never landed on the moon, and that's always kind of the way I picture those who believe that : folks who will believe anything they see on TV. (Of course, that's fairly condescending, but oh well.)

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
Thought the sombre ending was well-done. Makes me think of the isolation one would feel in a situation like that. Being truly alone without promise of rescue.
Alternatively, it makes me think of The Lonely Astronaut.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
They ddint fake the moon landings- even wikipedia knows that. Its just a trend to deny americans their acheivment and make conspiracy people feel good. even the Russians acepted that they landed - they tracked appolo all the way.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
SlayerGhede said:
pyromcr said:

You are right, you will never be 100% positive that they didn't fake the moon landing.

They could just have spend years fabricating artificial rocks unlike anything on earth. They could have painstakingly created fake micrometeoroid impact craters on said rocks, using advanced techniques hidden from the general populace to this day. They could have somehow exposed those rocks to radiation we just don't get on earth, due to the ameliorating effects of the magnetic fields.

With the amount of effort require to fake one rock, let alone the rest of the evidence supporting the authenticity of the landing, it would have been easier to send two guys to the moon and back.

I liked the story, despite the aggravating premise that (this being the internet) is sure to aggravate more as more comments follow. I'd be lying if I said I loved it less for it. Heck, I probably enjoy it more, being the argumentative bastard I am. It had tension, emotional impact, and in my opinion, just a hint of madness sprinkled throughout.
What no one ever brings up is; if we didn't go to the moon why didn't the Russians expose it, they would be watching intently as hell and yet they never said anything to the effect that we didn't actually go to the moon. Claiming that we didn't make it to the moon is just a slap in the face to anyone that believes in human ingenuity.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
What no one ever brings up is; if we didn't go to the moon why didn't the Russians expose it, they would be watching intently as hell and yet they never said anything to the effect that we didn't actually go to the moon. Claiming that we didn't make it to the moon is just a slap in the face to anyone that believes in human ingenuity.
*cough*

RAKtheUndead said:
...My favourite bit of backing, however, comes courtesy of the Russians, who never claimed that the Apollo missions were staged, despite the inestimable propaganda blow that could have been dealt to the United States had it been proved to be a fiction. These pieces of evidence aren't cast-iron, but they're exponentially better than anything that's been dreamt of by a conspiracist.
You have my sincerest apologies sir, for I did not see your post. Which was far more eloquent than mine.

That good enough for ya?

Jan 24, 2008
SlayerGhede said:
pyromcr said:

quote wars activate!

im about to get off subject, but...

this all goes much deeper than just knowing whether or not the moon landing was faked. everything about science that you mentioned that they would have to fake and keep hidden from us for so long is based on the assumption that what you know is true. that the earth doesnt have such and such make up and the moon does, that there is a space, that there are other people, that this isnt all just a dream.

what i meant by my post was simple, but filled with more things that i should have added.

we dont know anything for sure. nothing is absolute, and we cant possibly claim it to be absolute with the little knowledge we have. if we wanted to speak our language properly, whenever we had a discussion about anything math, science, spiritually related we would have to begin our sentences with, "Based on the assumption that what we take as fact is fact..." and then go from there. because we cant know that it is. ever.

but that is something that backfires on itself, because we also cant know that it isnt and blahblahblah...

im sure this response is far to long in coming, and i apologize for that. but i frequent several other forums and just now checked my messages on this one.

~Mag

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
This is making me angry to the point of punching my chair, and I don't know why.

Oh, wait, I know why: BECAUSE THIS IS SNIDE DISMISSAL ONE OF THE UNITED STATES' GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS

Hmm, thanks for making my seat cushion a little more tender.