See Inside The Ultima House of Wonders

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
See Inside The Ultima House of Wonders

Yeah, don't stand too close to the little guy with the wand.

Magician and TV show presenter R Paul Wilson got a look inside the home of Richard Garriott, he of Ultima fame [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114417-Venture-into-Brittania-with-Ultima-VII], and came away with some film footage that will floor you. Whether it's the Fake Fight, the Oracle, or Sputnik, there's something here for every fan of science and oddities.

It's enough to make you wonder whether Garriott is trying to become gaming's Citizen Kane. Brittania Manor (Mk 2) is a true house of hidden wonders, and Garriott - like Wilson - is an avid fan of all things magic, as well as a science nerd. And possibly also a vampire hunter; at least, if he ever wants to get into the business, he has all the equipment.

The video comes as part of Wilson's build-up for a film about collectors and their fantastic treasure troves. That film, created as a result of his Unreal Tour 2012, is on its way "in a few weeks", according to his blog. [http://machinebreak.blogspot.com/]

Source: Wesley Treat's Roadside Resort [http://www.roadsideresort.com/blog/richard-garriotts-automaton-collection]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Wow, what an absolutely awesome collection of just... cool stuff. I wish I had a chance to see that in person. The cross that fires silver bullets is like something right out of a movie and that alter with the moving black glue is both cool and creepy at the same time. I really want to know what's in it that makes it move on its own like that. Oh and I definitely want to ask that Oracle Automaton a question or two.

Looking forward to seeing the full version of this and all the other cool stuff in the collection.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This is why Richard Garriott always made very believeable worlds. He literally lives in a different world than we do.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
VanQQisH said:
that alter with the moving black glue is both cool and creepy at the same time. I really want to know what's in it that makes it move on its own like that.
I'm 100% sure that's a ferrofluid. It's a fluid that responds to magnetism, see for yourself:

Using multiple magnets and different shapes of bowls, you can make all sorts of crazy patterns. I can't really figure out where the magnetic force in the video is coming from though.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
bliebblob said:
VanQQisH said:
that alter with the moving black glue is both cool and creepy at the same time. I really want to know what's in it that makes it move on its own like that.
I'm 100% sure that's a ferrofluid. It's a fluid that responds to magnetism, see for yourself:
Snip.

Using multiple magnets and different shapes of bowls, you can make all sorts of crazy patterns. I can't really figure out where the magnetic force in the video is coming from though.
Ah yes, I've learned about those in the past. Thanks to you and Antari for pointing that out for me. My bet would be the magnets are placed under the table the dish is sitting on. Possibly on some kind of mechanical device to move them around automatically judging by the rest of his house.

Antari actually linked me to this video that gives an explanation on what a ferro fluid is as well as what it does. Thanks again.
So many interesting things in our universe.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
This is why I love Richard Garriott. He lives in his own awesome world. If I ever get absurdly rich, I am going to model my buying habits on him.

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
Of all the things that rich people can spend obscene amouths of money on, this is one of the best by far.