Capcom Unveils "Classic Dante" DLC for DMC: Devil May Cry

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

For just a few dollars more, gamers who don't care for Dante's new look in DMC: Devil May Cry will soon be able to switch back to "Dante Classic."

DMC: Devil May Cry seems to be doing petition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10142-DMC-Devil-May-Cry-Review.2] to the White House demanding that President Obama get the game off the shelves immediately, for the good of the nation and the world. But don't fret, people! Capcom's got you covered.

On January 29, Capcom will release a DLC pack adding three "new" costumes to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of DMC. For the low, low price of 320 Microsoft points or $4, you can turn New Dante into Dark Dante, Neo Dante or the one everyone seems to actually want, Classic Dante from Devil May Cry 3. The DLC pack will actually be given to anyone who preorders the PC version of the game at no extra charge, perhaps, as Shacknews suggests, as a bit of an apology for its delay.

[gallery=1012]

It sure seems to me like a lot of horsing around to get back to where you started, but at least that's one less thing to be angry about, right?

Source: Capcom [http://www.shacknews.com/article/77506/classic-dante-coming-to-dmc-devil-may-cry-as-4]

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

It sure seems to me like a lot of horsing around to get back to where you started, but at least that's one less thing to be angry about, right?

Andy, you... clearly haven't visited the GameFaqs PS3 DmC message board. Those guys are hounding the developers' twitter feeds trying to find more reasons to hate this game.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
at this point, how Dante looks is like 4th or 5th on the list of 'things wrong with this game' just turning him back to his old look fixes nothing that's actually wrong with the game, not that you could do that with a patch -.-

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Capcom is the DLC scumlord of all the publishers, even Activision.

Fuck you, Capcom.

How's the edgy joke with the mop on his head going to work now, huh?

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
A spineless move by Capcom hoping that it will patch up some problems with this game...

Well... Not in a million years...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest it seems to me that everyone has hated Dante's look once they changed it from the original. I'm kind of amazed Capcom hasn't just done the rational thing and just put the series the way people want it. I personally can't get behind it being "all a scam to sell DLC" since it seems to have been going on far too long.

I'll also say that this article in an offhanded way could be taken as a slam on reviewers. To be honest I think there is a problem when a reviewer evaluates whether a product is good or not purely on it's own merits as a game when there are other issues involved. To be honest when your dealing with franchises and ongoing intellectual properties the characters and how they are treated is part of the overall property. A game that might play well, but is disrespectful to the established continuity and characters, deserves to be slammed on those elements. Beyond a certain point you have to make the distinction between whether something is a good game, and whether something is a good game of X label. If a game decides to slap a franchise or series name on something but changes so much that it no longer resemebles or continues to build on previous parts of the series, that should be viewed as an epic failure, and scores should reflect that.

I point this out because as time goes on I'm becoming increasingly irritated to hearing how something "reviewed well" despite outrage from the fans. Perhaps the most epic example of this being "Mass Effect 3". If a reviewer doesn't get what the big deal is, and his reviews and criticisms reflect this, and he might outright say "I don't understand the big deal" I increasingly feel that's a sign that someone doesn't belong reviewing. A reviewer is supposed to be telling the fans, the users, if they are going to like a product or not. As a professional your allegedly supposed to be tied into the pulse of gaming enough to make an informed desician. If there is a massive group of people complaining, and someone even overreacts to the point of a presidential petition, and your reviewing the game highly... well obviously your out of touch and not doing your job well since your score is hardly reflecting the reality. This is also part of why you see people becoming so hostile towards reviewers, and increasingly focusing on how their livelyhood, or perhaps more accuratly that of their hosts, is tied to the industry, and the technique of padding review scores in hopes that high reviews and good hype can turn that into reality virally since it's worked before, but is becoming harder to do as reality increases.

I think a good reviewer today is not just someone who can say whether a game works well on a technical level, and how good it is on it's own merits, but understands things like how what color the jacket of the protaganist of an ongoing series is can actually make all the differance and why that is. If you don't understand this, and it seems like I'm talking alien to you or way out in left field, your kind of demonstrating why you shouldn't be a reviewer.

A bit lengthy and in an odd direction given the article, but it's largely what I thought of in reading this. Truthfully I've never been a big DMC fan, but I'm aware of the issues, and honestly I don't like people messing with my favorite franchises and characters that way either (as I've gone off about in other cases). This article mentions the uproar over the game, as well as the review scores, so I think it serves as a good example of the overall problem, which I think actually came to a head during the entire "Mass Effect 3" fiasco (which is still ongoing) with critics, reviewers, and inudtry watchdogs somehow not really getting how an ending can decimate not only an otherwise solid product, but an entire franchise retroactively.

Given the fan reaction the first question when dealing with a game series or franchise is whether it's a true continuation of that franchise, above and beyond anything. If someone trots out "Devil May Cry" but with rebooting, a main character that doesn't even look the same way anymore, etc... that should automatically be a "fail" before it even enters consideration because it's not truely the product it's claiming to be. Sort of like the differance between an action figure of "Spider Man" and one of "Spider Warrior"... the Japanese Knockoff. Sure it looks vaguely similar, and might be a perfectly servicable toy that functions just as well as an actual "Spider Man" one, and might even have a few extra points of articulation that could make it better, but at the end of the day it's not "Spider Man" and your kid who is a Spidey fan is not going to accept it as the same thing even if you paint the name "Spider Man" accross the chest. You failed to please your child, the toy sucks, as he is the final arbitor of whether it's good or not. As a parent if you thought it was "good" or "the same thing" you failed in your analysis if you thought so genuinely (as opposed to trying to save a few bucks) just as a reviewer fails when he say tries to pass off a counterfeit Dante with the franchise name emblazoned on it as the real thing.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
For anyone that this DLC turns the game from 'piece of shit that ruins the entire series for me' to 'good ol' DMC is back WOOH' should be ashamed of themselves and their petty tastes. Who gives a damn if the rebooted Dante looks different from the old original series Dante. It's not like the design themes look radically different from the old one. I can easily see the new Dante running around in the world of the old Dante and vice versa AND BEYOND THAT There are SO many series I enjoy that I wish would get rebooted (Legacy of Kain, i'm looking at you).

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Zlay said:
A spineless move by Capcom hoping that it will patch up some problems with this game...

Well... Not in a million years...
They say time goes faster the older you get, but apparently a million years has passed me by without notice. Seriously though, first whoever wrote he script shoved their middle finger to original Dante fans, only to turn around and give it out as DLC. At this point I the only games I would touch coming out of Capcom is another Dragon's Dogma sequel, or a return to Breath of Fire. Though I'm hesitant if they are loaded with on disc DLC like so many recent Capcom titles.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Eh, someone will buy it. I won't, but someone will. I need to get the game when it drops in price a bit. What I have played of it was pretty fun.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Nice play Capcom, nice play indeed! Feed off the fanboys insecurities! That's how you truly do DLC.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh, that's cool. I don't really care. I'm looking forward to playing this game when it comes out on the PC. All the changes aside, it's mostly the same game from what I have been reading about it. The combat is basically intact and I don't really expect it to be too easy as I always start games on a hard difficulty. What is strange to me is the whole idea of rebooting it. The issue is that in the last game, Dante was not even really the main character. Devil May Cry 3, it was a prequel to everything. DMC 2 was a non starter. The first one was really fantastic for the time. They just need to actually move the series forward instead of prequels, reboots and side steps. That is my main issue with the whole series, not just this game. At the end of the day though, the combat is visceral and seems like a lot of fun. Gamers aren't short changed anything as far as length is concerned.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's not the look change that's the problem, DMC isn't supposed to be serious, at all. It gets like one single shred of serious covered in over the top silly bs, instead now it's got a plot. Let's look back to when they tried that before, DMC2 that was such a great narrative right? This game has all of that and now Dante is a tool on top of it. Some games just can't BE SERIOUS, they tried it with Sonic for ..some reason in several games even crossing the cartoon and human barrier to everyones horror and they were shit because of it. It was much better when they went back to the roots of light hearted silly stories.
Here's a CRAZY idea, if they wanted to make something this different, make a new game series and don't piss on the original.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
piscian said:
Lol so it was all a trick to sell DLC. Bravo Crapcom Bravo.
I knew there had to be a reason. I so hate the gaming industry nowdays :[

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Another "Fuck You", in the sea of "Fuck You"s which is also present in the game, how appropriate.

(no i dont hate the new game, i liked the demo and ill probably pick it up)