Germans Say Violent Games "Landmines for the Soul"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Germans Say Violent Games "Landmines for the Soul"

Responding to the German government's official recognition of games as culture [http://blogcampaigning.com/2008/08/games-finally-have-a-right-to-exist-german-cultural-council-accepts-them-as-kultur/], a group of concerned citizens has released an anti-gaming position paper that argues that violent games are detrimental to the building of a peaceful society and must be banned.

The document, reports GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/12/22/report-cologne-declaration-targets-violent-games-germany], targets the usual suspects - Counter-Strike, DOOM, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and Crysis - and resurrects the theory that FPS games were developed by the U.S. military as a way to condition potential recruits. While the Cologne Declaration strikes the same chord of "harmful to children" all too familiar to gamers on either side of the Atlantic (or Pacific), it goes one step farther in suggesting that violent gaming hampers the building of a peaceful society.

Though conceived by a group of regular German citizens, the position paper has garnered support by several prominent social scientists as well. Researchers who dispute the document's claims and defend gaming are accused of being "collaborators and accomplices" of the games industry, aiding violent video games that further the goals of the "military-industrial-media complex."

Our colleagues at GP note that the idea that violent games are used as a tool by the U.S. armed forces to desensitize recruits has Lyndon LaRouche [http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/288356.html], whom they charitably describe as a "fringe political figure."

So, we have a coalition of concerned citizens calling for a ban on violent games that warp the minds of their children - it does seem like we were overdue for one of these, no? Does the group (and its claims) have any more validity than the ones that preceded it?

In a word: Nein.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Yeah, it MUST be violent video games, right? I mean war, violence, racism, crime, murder, rape, and theft never occurred before violent video games! We lived in a peace, white picket fence existence where lollipops grew on bushes!

Oy vey.

Aren't there more important issues to worry about? Hunger? AIDS? Cancer? Why do people spend so much time on this crap.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
The funniest thing is, that with how big the video game industry is now, that if the ban were to succeed the economy in Germany would be thrown into even more turmoil as 10000's of jobs in games/related shops/etc. would be lost.

So I would like to know one thing, would they like to be responsible for the collapse of the German economy?

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Oh gosh, I had NO idea that people thought violent video games were bad! This is astonishing!

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
To play devil's advocate, first person shooter games probably aren't very good for the 'soul' whatever that is. I mean, I can't really imagine Jesus or Buddha being fans. I mean Jesus probably prefers civilisation games, and Buddha strikes me as more of an rpg man.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
I liked them better when they had Frederick the Great, Otto von Bismark, Kaiser Wilhelm II, and Adolf Hitler, some the biggest war-mongers since the Old Testament. My German half weeps for how far they've fallen ;)

But seriously, banning games, because they are a detriment to a peaceful society? Why just ban hockey, and soccer then? They're violent. And lets get rid of R-rated, and Disney movies. Hell, they should just outlaw fun.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Well, at least the German government has taken a step in the right direction. Now most of the worrying's down to the lone nutjobs, unlike the situation for you Aussies.
Kevvers said:
To play devil's advocate, first person shooter games probably aren't very good for the 'soul' whatever that is. I mean, I can't really imagine Jesus or Buddha being fans. I mean Jesus probably prefers civilisation games, and Buddha strikes me as more of an rpg man.
Oddly enough, whenever Jesus plays Civ 4, he always makes his state religion Confucianism.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Heh-hem...

Nein indeed. And yet again I sing:

Doooon't give violent games to your kids~ Unless they're old enough~ Stop complaaaaing~

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
THIS again OK I WILL SAY THIS NOW U FUCKING LOSE you have lost despite the lack of evidence that there is ))) and new amount of evidence saying there is no link as well as there being beneficial elements to game violence as venting anger all these people are over 40 so just let time take its Corse but to put a religious aspect to this just remove all augment to the degree of futility A new study reveals all past study are not worth merit because they are bias against videogames in the 1st place and there methods of research are not viable when scrutinised

JUST EAT IT ))AND LET THIS DIE TO MUTCH MONY IS BEING WASTED ON SHIT LIKE THIS

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Religion is detrimental to a peaceful society. Terrorists, the salem witch trials, Holocaust, etc. Video games are nowhere to be found in any of those problems.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
targets the usual suspects -DOOM, and resurrects the theory that FPS games were developed by the U.S. military as a way to condition potential recruits.
Yes, because we all know that id created a game about fighting demon hellspawns on Mars to try and recruit people into the U.S. Military.