Modern Warfare Mask Lands French Soldier in Trouble

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Modern Warfare Mask Lands French Soldier in Trouble

The French military says it was "unacceptable" for a soldier to wear a skull-emblazoned mask that made him look like Modern Warfare's Ghost.

An unknown French legionnaire enjoyed a brief bout of semi-fame among gamers a couple days ago thanks to a balaclava that gave him the look of a real-life Ghost, one of the central characters of the Modern Warfare franchise. It's hardly a surprising choice of couture for a relatively young man who, when you get down to it, is is paid to kill people on behalf of his government; when death is your business, a death's head motif is a natural fit.

Even so, the brass was not happy when the picture came to light, saying that the soldier's decision to wear the mask was "unacceptable."

"This image is not representative of France's action in Mali," French military spokesman Colonel Thierry Burkhard said at a news conference.

Yet the legionnaire in question wasn't trying to strike fear in the hearts of enemy combatants while in the midst of a blazing firefight; according to the man who took the photo, he was simply guarding some armored vehicles in Mali, where French forces are engaged with Islamist militants, when a helicopter came in and he put the mask on "to avoid getting a mouthful of sand."

"It was evening, and rays of sunlight were pushing through the trees and into the dust clouds. It was a lovely light. I spotted this soldier wearing a strange scarf and took the photo. At the time, nothing about the scene seemed especially unusual or shocking," photographer Issouf Sanogo explained. "The soldier wasn't posing and there was nothing staged about the image. He was just standing there, protecting his face from the dust, waiting for the chopper to land. No one tried to stop me shooting the picture."

The French army is now trying to identify the legionnaire in the photo, presumably for disciplinary purposes, but Sanogo made it clear that he has no interest in assisting with the effort and doubts that he could even if he wanted to. "The troops are working in difficult conditions. They travel thousands of kilometers by road and do what they can to entertain themselves a little," he said. "I don't know the identity of the soldier in the scarf and I'd have a hard time recognizing him even if I did see him again. I think - and I hope - that it's impossible to tell who he is. I'm not even sure if he knows what people are saying about him."

Source: AFP [http://blogs.afp.com/correspondent/?post/2013/01/22/Unmasking-a-controversy-in-Mali]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It doesn't seem like they were trying to be "cool" or anything, but you'd have thought they'd be given standard issue scarves to wear for these kinds of things.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Yeah.......Maybe the Higher ups in the French Army are just unhappy that he couldn't use that balaclava as a white flag to surrender with.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...A French legionnaire.

Instead of a mouthful of sand, he'll get a mouthful of fist. The French Foreign Legion don't take shit.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Ghost was so 2009, lets get some guy dressed as Vaas on the ground!

To be more serious: There's alot of stuff I can understand as being a bad influence on ground forces, that guy who just went to court for peeing on enemy bodies is a good case but this seems mostly harmless. Still I can understand why everyone wants to look as good and professional as possible on the ground, it really doesn't seem to take much to anger the locals in some of these locations.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I gotta admit, it is a beautiful picture. I think the French, of all people, should appreciate good art when they see it, rather than try to discipline the one French soldier out there that people might actually be afraid of now.

EDIT: I think I just got ninja'd.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Just a soldier being a soldier, nothing to see here to be honest.

Andy Chalk said:
It's hardly a surprising choice of couture for a relatively young man who, when you get down to it, is paid to kill people on behalf of his government; when death is your business, a death's head motif is a natural fit.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Well spoken!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The photographer makes an excellent point I think. It must be so easy to get depressed or distressed when doing what soldiers do, and something as small as this makes it a little easier on them.

Plus it's a really nice picture.

I hope that soldier doesn't get too much grief for this.

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
Just some journalist who got his panties in a twist since they are not allowed close to the fighting, it appears that most of the french population doesnt really care about it.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
So killing people for your goverment is ok, but looking like one of the only two people in the CoD series worth remembering is wrong?
[HEADING=3]LOGIC![/HEADING]​

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Ah yes, I heard about this over the radio... Honestly, I don't see why people are throwing a shit fit. The guy's in the military, it's a pretty demanding job (most of the time). Doesn't he have the right to fuck around a bit and wear something that makes him feel cool? If he feels awesome while wearing it, then hey, more power to him! Otherwise, this whole argument is completely pointless. If ONE GUY wears it, why would people think this represents the WHOLE French legion? It's just one fucking guy, he's just representing himself! If EVERY French soldier were wearing one, and it were a part of the uniform, THEEEEEEEEEN you have a case. Otherwise, no, fuck off, this is a waste of news. >_>

The photo does look really awesome, though.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
A SOLDIER HAVING FUN!!!
I understand how they wouldn't want their soldiery using this imagery in combat but cut the guy a break, sands a ***** to get out of your teeth.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
What? That's just not right, let him have a bit of identity.

He didn't even do anything, just stand there.

Techno Destructo

Jul 18, 2010
Hell, in my opinion, the skeleton face should be a part of the military uniform. How intimidating would it be to see skulls with guns aimed to kill?

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Dude!! That is really cool in my opinion.

The enemy will be all like: "Holy crap, its Ghost! That means Price and Soap are nearby!"

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Legion said:
It doesn't seem like they were trying to be "cool" or anything, but you'd have thought they'd be given standard issue scarves to wear for these kinds of things.
They do but most times soldiers will buy they're own gear such as boots, scarves, and underclothes because the standard issue is usually low quality.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
kajinking said:
Ghost was so 2009, lets get some guy dressed as Vaas on the ground!
Suddenly, every extremist in the area - for unperceived reasons - surrenders to the nearest not-Vaas soldier in the area. Stability is restored over-night.

One white, upper-class, early twenties tourist joins a tribal warrior society in response.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I might side with the French government here though.

He was on duty and a representative of France. He should've just worn his normal outfit. Yes, the army should've provided scarves themselves, but wearing a skullmask is a bit insensitive on the soldier's part.

If you were a regular there with perhaps little to no information to current events, would you trust foreign soldiers with skull-masks? It's better to keep a somewhat friendly face to the local population.